Before locators

Do you think before locators came out dogs were of higher standards was hard work using ya ears n t bar to bore hole to get marks and dogs had to hold and stay to quarry as you didn't want to repeat job three times n dig for nothing was unreal when the first deben 8ft knocker box came out most not have a clue without a locator now mind do make a much easier job locators just wonder if dogs that have it easy with locators are of standereds they were before came out 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before the grey boxes were out the hardest strangest dig I had  on my own was when hounds really pushed a fox to ground in a single hole.I started digging and the dogs baying changed but still where I

Here here. Some lads like to glorify the past and slag of the youth, but they forget the past practises of some brought the restrictions we have today, something the youth have to deal with and there’

Don't think it's ote to do with locators, more to do with the hunting act, back in the eighties we were digging four and sometimes five times a week, I just don't believe that's possible today but I m

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I'd imagine a lot of dogs that are classed as good workers nowadays wouldn't last long without locators.

However, I'd say doubling up dogs pre-locator days was a common practise to get a job done. 

Mostly we worked single dogs but did double in big places sometimes and your right a lot dogs today not do job without bleepers as could be hours before you got mark to start and dig lads dig now in five mins I was tought wait n wait a bit longer get mark jump up and down give it while jump up and down again if hadn't moved have a fag then start digging

• Like 1

Don't think it's ote to do with locators, more to do with the hunting act, back in the eighties we were digging four and sometimes five times a week, I just don't believe that's possible today but I may be wrong. The first deben knockerbox we had was like a godsend, saved us time which allowed for more digging time elsewhere, took a while to get used to tho, I was taught to use the bar and listen for the baying to locate the terrier, and we still did even when we had the knockerbox, we had a lot of permission, and sometimes we didn't, we had 15 or 16 terriers between us and they all had their share of work through the season, some failed to make the grade and they were quickly found pet homes, the ones that made the grade were good terriers,  honest terriers that could find in the deepest earth's and stay until dug to, on breaking through we knew the terrier would be inches away from his/her adversary and that shaft of light was all it took for the terrier to grab hold of his combatant and hold it while we drew both terrier and prey from the earth, there was no room for passengers, the world was a better place back then that's for sure, Atb pal

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Don't think it's ote to do with locators, more to do with the hunting act, back in the eighties we were digging four and sometimes five times a week, I just don't believe that's possible today but I may be wrong. The first deben knockerbox we had was like a godsend, saved us time which allowed for more digging time elsewhere, took a while to get used to tho, I was taught to use the bar and listen for the baying to locate the terrier, and we still did even when we had the knockerbox, we had a lot of permission, and sometimes we didn't, we had 15 or 16 terriers between us and they all had their share of work through the season, some failed to make the grade and they were quickly found pet homes, the ones that made the grade were good terriers,  honest terriers that could find in the deepest earth's and stay until dug to, on breaking through we knew the terrier would be inches away from his/her adversary and that shaft of light was all it took for the terrier to grab hold of his combatant and hold it while we drew both terrier and prey from the earth, there was no room for passengers, the world was a better place back then that's for sure, Atb pal

Very true Indeed mate

I wouldn’t go as far as saying the terriers Where better,  when u put the dog to ground, he doesn’t know if he has a locator collar on or if it’s 2ft or 20ft deep, if the terrier wants to stay it will stay I believe. As for the terriernen back then, as said yes, there was more to take into account than just drop dog and wait in numbers to stop on the box, but doubling up was very common although nobody likes to admit it,  but modern day technology has (hopefully) removed that practice. But take into account all technology fails and I have dug a few dog out without using the the locator, cause for what ever reason it’s stopped working. 

• Like 8
1 minute ago, dillydog said:

I'd say you've all got rose tinted glasses on, I saw nothing back then that I'd kennel now. Obviously there was kennels of decent terriers but they were fewand far between 

Finally some sense being talked. "Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear", rings true every time.

• Like 1

Ok some points taken .Seemed much more of an achievement back then whereas today it's a given the dog will be located very soon .Some men excelled at locating whereas some never seemed to pick it up and needed the company of finders .I do remember dogs doubled up but I always  used to ask why .Not confined to pre locator days either .It's the same with anything in life ,some people want the best whereas others are content with mediocre . It's a fact that quite a few wannabe terriermen would jack these days if left to find the old fashioned way .

• Thanks 1

Generally 'thinking'. Quality of dogs should have improved, although style of working changed. Earth 'craft' of terrierman could have deteriated. With the change in times & restrictions etc dedication of practioners would be higher. Just my thoughts, based on what ive seen, read, heard & dreamt.

Edited by Waz
  • Like 1