reloading .22 lr - is it worth it?

Hi everyone,

I'm getting my FAC soon and although I already know I will be buying some reloading kits for my .308 I was wondering if it's worth the hassle of reloading rimfire .22 lr

I see reloading as a past time and a relaxing concentrating activity so I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours to reload whatever cartridge. any advice specifically for 22lr? 

thanks

I've only seen .22lr reloading kits in the states, I think they brought them out because of the shortage years ago, the practicalities of reloading a small round and getting any sort of consistency I think is pretty slim. My RFD was on about he tried years ago, and didn't have much success, getting the liquid primer for the rim is like hens teeth, and spinning enough in is laughable by hand. Stick to CF for reloading, there's a reason the primers come preprimed and pop in and out easy (with the correct tools).

In theory if a factory can do it then so can anyonewith knowledge and the correct bits. I have seen a YouTube clip where they were using red match heads ground up as priming  material. It did work but accuracy was all over the place probably due to differing ignition  characteristics. In America it was all about the Ralph's who thInk the GUBERMENT IS COMING TO TAKE THEIR GUNS FROM THEIR COLD HANDS and survivalists who think that the ZOMBIE INVASION is coming. I suppose that if 22lr became unavailable or so expensive then it might be possible. Probably someone somewhere has perfected it and is doing it. Practically it dont happen here that I've ever heard about.

This link is to part 1 of 2 about reloading 22lr. Both are very factual with no bias.

The vid clip is as straight and unbiased as you can get. Make your own mind up like the bloke at the end says. I dont think that I would be reloading ammo which was so iffy and corrosive. 

Edited by Meece
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with others, I really can't see the point. Any savings will be minimal and hassle maximal. At around £7 for a block 50 new, it's not worth it. Stick to CF reloading. Far better savings to be had along with accuracy gains.

On 30/11/2018 at 22:12, andyf said:

Are you MAD, yes you probably are?

Centrefire RELOAD yes

Any rimfire reloading ????????????? Yes you are MAD

That's like saying can I re-tread my landrover tyres with a Stanley knife???

NO YOU CAN'T

Are you sure about that??

• Haha 1
On 30/11/2018 at 22:12, andyf said:

Are you MAD, yes you probably are?

Centrefire RELOAD yes

Any rimfire reloading ????????????? Yes you are MAD

That's like saying can I re-tread my landrover tyres with a Stanley knife???

NO YOU CAN'T

In an ideal situation you wouldn't recut tyres BUT IF Tyres weren't available it might become expedient as if 22lr wasn't available then they would be a possibility. So would making your own blackpowder or any contrived propellant. Or even producing a gas propelled weapon like a nail gun. Needs must when the devil drives.

• Like 1

Well yes I know that it is possible to reload (more like recycle) .22 rimfire, but the original thread was asking in innocence if

reloading 22 was not 'possible' but worth it?

As Meece so correctly says if you had to you just might, but as we know the 22 RF is made to be expendable, and is in fact a

difficult proposition to reload to say the least, even in a 'have to'  situation most non practical folk would be lost cos they don't understand

how the thing functions to start with, let alone considering how to get red match material into the currently fires brass rim??

So to those out there who would struggle to change their car spare, have no idea about electrics, even less about tools and engineering.

NO YOU CANT RELOAD 22 RIMFIRES, and probably are best advised to buy factory ammo (and criticise it knowingly).