HW110k short term review

Well I have had the 110k for three weeks and have put around 650 pellets through, shooting the gun almost every day at home, on the perms and on holiday so I think I can give you a light review of the gun so far. It is still obviously still very early but it will at least give you an idea how I have found the gun.

DSCF3517_zpsgmn0vwju.jpg

Love it or hate it, it WILL find favour with many shooters just as the 110 standard has and become their top selling pcp rifle. As already stated before, I really fell for this little rifle at the South Yorkshire Shooting show in September this year. When I picked up the rifle at the show, it just felt right, the balance and handling in the shoulder was in my mind exactly what I was looking for. A short, light, well balanced gun with a reg and good shot count and found it in this gun.

As you all know, I am an FX fanatic having owned 4 and still my 'go to' gun is the Impact .25 fac and always will be as it is without doubt a fantastic gun.................BUT I wanted a little gun for shorter range ratting / feral pigeon shooting in confined areas and to be honest Trish, my wife wants to have a go at ratting as well so the little 110k fits in perfectly.

Without going into the issues I have with my right eye and as outlined in another thread, I will state from the outset that this gun is very unlikely to be used for maximum range shooting as the Impact will take care of all that so my testing is no further than 25 - 35 mts and of course almost any gun will perform at that sort of range so we are not trying to reinvent the wheel here just have an honest rifle that will do what I want.

I fitted my MTC Mamba Lite scope on to keep the weight down and because of the length and hold position on the rifle, the balance is superb with this scope. The next thing was to fit one of my Nitesite units to see how that felt as most of the shooting will be at night, again the balance was spot on and extremely comfortable to use. Not sure how other people hold their guns with the Nitesite on but I hold my gun very low with the butt touching my hip which is (for me at any rate) really good and no flare to the face but still offering a very rigid shooting stance. The 110k passed that test.

Zero is at 25mt which is the length of my RFD's indoor range and about right for my ratting and feral shooting. I also checked it at 11mts which is another set point in the range with good lighting at that point and that was at point of aim for zero so again ideal for ratting. I must say that I have not had the time to spend on pellet testing but as I found when I had my .22 FX Wildcat, the JSB Exact RS really produced the goods and so was my start point. Now obviously the barrel was not leaded up when I did the zero but nevertheless the RS pellets in the 110k did produce good tight groups therefore I stayed with those pellets for the time being.

I have not done chrono checks earlier as my Combro was out on loan but here are the readings taken this morning :-

1,  11.17 fpe  /  612 fps

2,   11.72        /  627

3,   11.70        /  627

4,    11.69        /  626

5,    11.60        /  624

6,    11.60        /  624

7,     11.60       /  624

8,     11.63       /  625

9,     11.55       /  623

10,    11.64      /  625

The pellets used were JSB Jumbo Exact RS, to give them their full name weighing in at 9.43gr

Before we went away on holiday, I did take the gun on a ratting foray but it was a waste of time as there were no rats around which was very unusual but the next day I bagged a couple of wood pigeon in the garden at 15 mts........................ok, a good shot with a catapult could have done it but it was my first kill with this gun.

On Holiday at our regular venue, Highlodge in Suffolk, a shooting ground with great lodges to rent, I had the chance to put a load more pellets through the the rifle inbetween our clay shooting. There are a number of air rifle shooting stands/layouts in the woods next to the clay shoot which is nice to be shooting in between the trees and the shooter in under cover so bad weather shooting is still on the cards.

https://highlodge.co.uk/holiday-lodges-in-suffolk/

You can see on the views of the lodges there is about 85mts from one end to the other and the main photo is taken from the lodge we normally rent which gives me a 77mt distance from my veranda to the gate at the end of the field, this is to the left of the photo. One evening about midnight when all the lodge lights were out assuming the occupants were in bed, I decided to have a go at some rabbits. I know our Mitch has always been a great fan of the lighter pellets but I have never tried them at  60+ mts before but I should have known that he was right. The first was a clean head shot and the second took two shots as the wind was playing up a bit BUT I was impressed with both the gun and the pellets, the bonus to this was the groundsman got a couple of prime condition bunnies the next morning.

As some of you are aware, my wife, Trish is a keen clay shooter along with myself but has never really taken to the rifle even though she has full fac ticket but this little 110k has caught her eye and loves the idea of the Nitesite so the holiday gave her the chance to try her hand at the 110k with the Nitesite fitted. I didn't give her the chance to try it out in daylight instead opting for some night time target shooting. I am sorry to repeat some of the things here as I have posted oddments on other threads but here goes. I picked up some assorted gauge used cartridge cases from the clay shoot and stood some on their ends and some on their sides at 25mt for Trish to have a play with. Talk about duck to water, she smoked the lot sending the cases all over the place. The photo shows some of the cases with the pellets firmly embedded in the cartridge primer, bloody good shooting for someone who is not used to using either the rifle or night shooting. It was on the bipod rested but both I and she were very happy with the result.

DSCF3542_zpsa1nbi3kg.jpg

DSCF3540_zpsdukkzuz9.jpg

Last night my buddy and myself went ratting to the dairy farm, still very few rats around but I was at least able to put the gun to the test in the exact conditions that I bought the gun for. I shot 7 rats between 10 and 20mts all clean kills and 4 feral pigeon around 25-30mts so it does what I wanted the gun for and I am pleased with it.

Points I am not happy with :-

to be honest I have not really found anything that really hacks me off. I am still getting into the hang of the mag, it is not as good as the HW100 but again it is just getting used to it and I am getting there. Last night on the farm in the dark was the first time I made mag swaps in the field so to speak and they didn't present any issues. This will I am certain become a smoother operation as time goes by.

There are so many plus points that the mag changing is of no consequence in the overall scheme of things. I am looking forward to some good action with this outfit during the winter evenings.

Phil

• Like 7

Nice write up phil. Loved the 110 I had, but was put off with power dropping from 11.6 to 9.6, twice in the space of a month. However, things now look to have been sorted regarding those issues, and I'm actually itching to shoulder one of these new 110k's. If it's as good as the original, but with better balance etc, I could see me getting myself a new xmas pressie lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be very honest, it could have used the 100 mags and loading system, not sure why they didn't unless they did not want to affect the sales of the 100 so in effect the 100 is a higher capacity system and slicker loading or pay less for one that is not quite as good. Well that back fired as the sales of the standard 110 are now higher than the 100.

Better known as a marketing fcuk up.

Phil

• Haha 1

Good wright up that phil?

Im not a fan but it obviously tick the boxes for you and Trish, the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things!

as for Trish’s nitesite plinking test?

your gonna get your arse kicked on the rats!! Lol

glad your happy with your buy?

Atb si 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, si brown said:

Good wright up that phil?

Im not a fan but it obviously tick the boxes for you and Trish, the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things!

as for Trish’s nitesite plinking test?

your gonna get your arse kicked on the rats!! Lol

glad your happy with your buy?

Atb si 

I think you may have a point however you know only too well how muddy and cow shite all over....................................................not so sure she is going to like that or climbing over locked gates.

Phil

• Haha 1

Had a hold of the 110 when i picked up the impact Phil

im sooooooooo glad i did not get one mind

even the rfd say,d your better off with the hw100

But if it works for you Phil then thats all that counts mate

at the end of the day .

I do like the stocks mind easy to wipe over and clean all the shit off them

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

:no::no::no:

Ah Jimmy old pal..................................................................you hated the Impact as I recall, now look at you. ?

I always loved the FX Wildcat as a compact rifle with a good shot count and would have gone for one if they had improved the mag loading and mag capacity. On several occasions I had the mag jump out of the gun and into a lot of nasty stuff around the cow pens. I really hoped the Mk2 had offered a bigger mag and a better loading system but it hasn't so I didn't buy one. It also saved me about £300 which these days means a great deal to me.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

Ah Jimmy old pal..................................................................you hated the Impact as I recall, now look at you. ?

I always loved the FX Wildcat as a compact rifle with a good shot count and would have gone for one if they had improved the mag loading and mag capacity. On several occasions I had the mag jump out of the gun and into a lot of nasty stuff around the cow pens. I really hoped the Mk2 had offered a bigger mag and a better loading system but it hasn't so I didn't buy one. It also saved me about £300 which these days means a great deal to me.

Phil

He hated the HW100 as well 

1 minute ago, bigmac 97kt said:

the hw 100 is in a different league

compared to the hw110

and i still hate the hw100kt

well the stocks any way

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: 

The only thing  which may and i say may be better is the loading other wise its on par if not better IMO

• Haha 1