Deerhound lurchers

Mine was line bred from proper bull x stuff from late 80s early 90s then n 98 put to a good saluki grey bitch the pups of that litter were real good then put the dog we had left over a saluki grey saluki bull grey bitch we kept 4 pups of that litter one did her cruciate ligament tendon one died in the field the best of em all a bitch I had to get pts at 6 and old man still has the other dog and bitch. The bitch who was pts was the only one I've had that took all species of deer 3 of em regular she was 26tts and built with it she was a freak not wired up right suicidal most times. I'll try find an old phone with pics on 

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit off topic like bit anyone had an American bull lurcher most dogs these days aint what they're supposed to be like pits people think are pits are just bull bred be it staff x or anything to look like a pit bull I've a alapaha blue blood pup here I bought just as a pet and to guard the house but  spoken to a American and says they're very good hog dogs

12 minutes ago, flynndog said:

Bit off topic like bit anyone had an American bull lurcher most dogs these days aint what they're supposed to be like pits people think are pits are just bull bred be it staff x or anything to look like a pit bull I've a alapaha blue blood pup here I bought just as a pet and to guard the house but  spoken to a American and says they're very good hog dogs

Oh maan I just spilt my cwarfee 

• Like 1

Don't worry I'm not thinking about lining it with any type of running dog I ain't given 1500 for the breeding being it to spoil a running dog to get a load of garbage just wondered as lot of Americans rate them as catch dogs just wondered if it's been done

16 hours ago, 355mlredbull said:

Towards the end ,Tom's dogs where nearly pure grey with maybe a 1/8 deerhound ,I think he got lucky with a big fawn dog called rebel  around 3/4 deerhound then just bred them to pure Grey's it was easier to get greyhounds for free then it was lurchers 

Rebel was a good 3/4 dog born early 70s but a brute of a dog by all accounts.Tom bred him to a greyhound bitch in 80s he had a good litter of 7/8 from this mating Chalky,Toney,Ted etc. Tom looked to bring in fresh blood/outcross in 90s as his dogs were up in age so he bought in a dog pup (Jed) and then a bitch pup came from AW (Laila). Jed went over a Greyhound bitch and Laila was bred to Chalky. Pups from both litters he kept back were turning out well but some had disappeared and then Toms mates where running Laila one night to bring there young dogs on when some toff shot her. Laila was the best Deerhound bitch I've seen on the job, Jed could do the job but would only jump when on a chase.The disappearing young dogs had not been stolen as thought the Jed dog had killed them, some New Age Travellers up there had had caught him in the act out on the hill one day and then Tom caught him attacking old Chalky one day so he knew they were telling the truth so he got rid of Jed.The land up there is hard on the dogs as anybody that ran up there with him will know so with injuries etc he ended back up with just Chalky and Toney. He could not get any of the pups back from the two litters he bad bred so bought in a coursing Greyhound (Misty). Chalky was bred to Misty but imo were not as good as the previous litters he had bred probs due to being only 1/16 Deerhound. He did have a very good Hare bitch (Peggy) bred out of Chalky but I'm not sure what the dam was. Peggy jumped out a horse box and hung itself when travelling back down the road one day .

Edited by MickC
Sp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, MickC said:

Rebel was a good 3/4 dog born early 70s but a brute of a dog by all accounts.Tom bred him to a greyhound bitch in 80s he had a good litter of 7/8 from this mating Chalky,Toney,Ted etc. Tom looked to bring in fresh blood/outcross in 90s as his dogs were up in age so he bought in a dog pup (Jed) and then a bitch pup from AW (Laila). Jed went over a Greyhound bitch and Laila was bred to Chalky. Pups from both litters he kept back were turning out well but some had disappeared and then Toms mates where running Laila one night to bring there young dogs on when some toff shot her. Laila was the best Deerhound bitch I've seen on the job, Jed could do the job but would only jump when on a chase.The disappearing young dogs had not been stolen as thought the Jed dog had killed them, some New Age Travellers up there had had caught him in the act out on the hill one day and then Tom caught him attacking old Chalky one day so he knew they were telling the truth so he got rid of Jed.The land up there is hard on the dogs as anybody that ran up there with him will know so with injuries etc he ended back up with just Chalky and Toney. He could not get any of the pups back from the two litters he bad bred so bought in a coursing Greyhound (Misty). Chalky was bred to Misty but imo were not as good as the previous litters he had bred probs due to being only 1/16 Deerhound. He did have a very good Hare bitch (Peggy) bred out of Chalky but I'm not sure what the dam was. Peggy jumped out a horse box and hung itself when travelling back down the road one day .

I heard about the dog being shot ,some say Tom blasted the wheels ofthe toffs ranger over 

The first deerhoundxgrey I owned came from Caithness my mate stayed up there in the 60s 70s his wife is from travelling stock big wild man he was anyway dog I bought was called halk big 28inch dog he killed a few dogs when I had him the saluk8bull x grey was one of them he was ok.around bitches but defo a dog killer he had never seen another dog in his life probably he had the nack  back.of the head I was warming up my.pickup one day when he bolted I kid use not he killed a big German.shepard was running around my pic up way it I.dont want to disclose names bit my mate stayed up there in the hay day his lurchers were done at 5 years old way killing rabbits on the beach well.i decided to sell.the big dog to two gamekeepers from Aberdeen they were given.a.months trail I told them what he was capable of he would turn heavy teeth inside out fox kill them with one strick anyway the lads were happy so was I but i new i would never see a dog like him again he killed a few terriers that were coupled up in the courtyard dogs he was ok way bitches anyway a few months past then the phone rings big dog got hit buy a train could I supply another money was no question well.i only had my bitch so that was the breeding up in the air I honestly have never seen a more driven dog in my.life was he a liability yes only in our human society were we all live in our little pigions  huts being governed buy our leaders ?take my hat of to Tom he never answered to anyone ?fck  yr government ?kids are fcked now we had the best they can never take away our memorys 

Edited by Bearfoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1