Jump to content
Fred east

Deerhound lurchers

Recommended Posts


I had one it was thick as a brush and couldn't catch a rabbit in a phone box had a dh x gh to a saluki x gh was a good dog but wouldn't kennel another as other crosses bring better dogs imo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

First cross deerhound greyhound

Cookland bred

29 TTS 

Handy alrounder ,hasn't been regularly tested on teeth but has took them no bother, slaughters edible game 

Retrives Hares over gates 

 

IMG_20180922_181848.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post

3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound 

Platts breeding

Was go well on bunnies 

Ran its first hare and broke its back leg 

Retired to a pet home 

Was showing all the right sighs 

Very keen , think that could of been all the greyhound in it 

WP_20170809_16_10_41_Pro.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, 355mlredbull said:

First cross deerhound greyhound

Cookland bred

29 TTS 

Handy alrounder ,hasn't been regularly tested on teeth but has took them no bother, slaughters edible game 

Retrives Hares over gates 

 

IMG_20180922_181848.jpg

 

IMG_20181202_154310.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, 355mlredbull said:

 

WP_20171103_15_41_04_Pro.jpg

Belters there. 

How old is the black dog out of cooklands? 

Looks similar to my bitch out of his stuff

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dogmad riley said:

Belters there. 

How old is the black dog out of cooklands? 

Looks similar to my bitch out of his stuff

The black dog is around 2 and half he's out of Hamish 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, 355mlredbull said:

The black dog is around 2 and half he's out of Hamish 

Same sire as mine she is 19 months old.  Coming on well now.  

Share this post


Link to post

when they were being used for coursing in the seventy's, I saw loads run and cant say I saw one that stood out as a good one, saw one or two good lurchers with deerhound in but other stuff too so cant say its the deerhound coming through, that made em good.

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, two crows said:

when they were being used for coursing in the seventy's, I saw loads run and cant say I saw one that stood out as a good one, saw one or two good lurchers with deerhound in but other stuff too so cant say its the deerhound coming through, that made em good.

Not a dig here t c, but is it only competetive coursers that used saluki x's rather than deerhound x's? As I'm pretty sure that many people prefer deerhound/greyhound rather than saluki/greyhound, for a bit of everything including taking hares, when it was legal. Not everyone wants 'the best' hare dog ever, or a dog that can do 5 or 6 minutes behind a hare 4, 5 or 6 times a day 👍

Share this post


Link to post

Think as poaching pot filler dogs they are good. Just an honest all rounder.

They won't take 3/3 hares day in day out.  they won't tackle 5 charlies a night etc. 

But they will catch you a hare or 2, catch rabbits. Catch a fox and track many deer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Still better with another ingredient I’m mix imho. An lucky they seem to gel way most other types 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×