Deerhound lurchers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Really like some of these galgos actually. Never seen one in the flesh, but seen dozens of coursing clips of dogs that looked very good

In truth just put em up as a bit of a wind up but those I've seen have been handy and mine has done alright.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sandymere said:

In truth just put em up as a bit of a wind up but those I've seen have been handy and mine has done alright.

I seriously do like alot of them, and the rough ones would be practically no differet to many saluki/deer/greys, more or less the same breeding for generations. Like I said, I've not seen one in the flesh, but how would you rate their speed on good ground, not the rough dry ground most of the clips that I've seen them run on?

2 hours ago, shaaark said:

I seriously do like alot of them, and the rough ones would be practically no differet to many saluki/deer/greys, more or less the same breeding for generations. Like I said, I've not seen one in the flesh, but how would you rate their speed on good ground, not the rough dry ground most of the clips that I've seen them run on?

Fair turn of speed, mine can get  up and at em on smaller ground but can hang on when needed. Not the pure acceleration of an English grey but once stretching out covers some ground on longer runs.

Edited by sandymere
32 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Fair turn of speed, mine can get  up and at em on smaller ground but can hang on when needed. Not the pure acceleration of an English grey but once stretching out covers some ground on longer runs.

Thanks for that. Yeah, was expecting them to be like that to be honest. What's the temperament like on them compared to alot of uk saluki/coursing types, similar, better or worse? Only twice I've had dogs with saluki in, 1st one about 35 years ago, worked out about 1/16th ish in sire and dam, but appearance wise looked like smooth coated very saluki like, thickest bitch I've ever owned. Second one about three years ago, fair amount of saluki in both parents. Scattiest, most annoying bitch I've ever owned. At the time I swore I'd never own another dog with saluki in, but in hindsight, I rushed into buying the last one without doing any homework on it at all really, big mistake.

Sorry about the long winded reply lol ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...