Deerhound lurchers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Hes a lurcher no.pups will be sold that's just the way I rock I.onky breeding for myself dogs 9 year old that's just my opinion coat and jaw power is all iam after ? enjoy ?

so a wheaton is not better for that 

16 hours ago, Fred east said:

I'd always liked look of them myself but kept other types and after years decided to try for myself and been disappointed to say least but not one to chop n change n send into cycle of dogs been passed round so got large pets 

I love the look of deerhounds,and their gentle nature.Thats the problem,there too gentle to make good work dogs.Everyone I know here that's owned them says the same.These are the ones here in oz,you probably have better bloodlines in UK.I had a Aussie staghound cross deerhound,also soft but did come good in his third year.

10 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I love the look of deerhounds,and their gentle nature.Thats the problem,there too gentle to make good work dogs.Everyone I know here that's owned them says the same.These are the ones here in oz,you probably have better bloodlines in UK.I had a Aussie staghound cross deerhound,also soft but did come good in his third year.

No mate, there no better, most are from  show lines, and far to tall/heavy. deerhound types that used in USA  yote dogs are very old line , that had bulldogs in them years back and other breeds, so mile away from a deerhound of to day. And when you read the history of the breed , they were bred to find deer and bay them, (not ) kill the deer , the huntsman  did that  with either  bow or gun as time went on, they didnt want the meat over marked up.So a calm/ gentle nature was bred for, and it's in the breed of today , thats why people will put bulldog or wheaten in the x, to put some guts in to them.Ive always liked the look of them and they nice temps, but there far better other xs out there to choose from today .

• Like 3

One is 7/8ths as ardinglas to doxhope ..doxhope have dash lurcher in line he's 35 and be 3/4 now he's busy eating things when other dogs are hunting no anybody instinct at all other is half brother deerhound x wheaten xgreyhound he's a big dog at about 30inches and is a handy dog when suits him but find very sulky and tempremental 

20 hours ago, Fred east said:

O I've gone back to my old types n doing well with them deerys just a pet now 35 inches of pet other is deerhound x wheaten grey 30inches handy ish dog on big stuff 

Fred a deerhound first cross(I am guessing the other dog was a greyhound) at 35tts? because at that height some things not right and 1-2 others would agree, by all means post some photos  and if you don't mind me asking who did you get the dogs from,if you want to send me a PM by all means do so.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, my hounds said:

Fred a deerhound first cross(I am guessing the other dog was a greyhound) at 35tts? because at that height some things not right and 1-2 others would agree, by all means post some photos  and if you don't mind me asking who did you get the dogs from,if you want to send me a PM by all means do so.

No he's full deerhound ardglas x doxhope so 7/8ths deerhound as has touch lurcher in doxhope lines 

43 minutes ago, Fred east said:

No he's full deerhound ardglas x doxhope so 7/8ths deerhound as has touch lurcher in doxhope lines 

are you meaning the Doxhope in your dogs has lurcher in it, or all of them? They were full deerhounds

2 hours ago, my hounds said:

Thanks for your reply Fred,through interest again any chance of  some photos,cheers My Hounds.

Got none as new phone I'll get few took couple before there but dusk so pics are poor I'd give them away to pet home if was right person 

5 hours ago, Fred east said:

One is 7/8ths as ardinglas to doxhope ..doxhope have dash lurcher in line he's 35 and be 3/4 now he's busy eating things when other dogs are hunting no anybody instinct at all other is half brother deerhound x wheaten xgreyhound he's a big dog at about 30inches and is a handy dog when suits him but find very sulky and tempremental 

I’d chap the lot n go get yourself a decent lurcher ?