Deerhound lurchers

Does anybody breed work deerhound crosses I got two but not very good to tell truth but not out working stuff I thought were but just from dog peddler/puppy farmer didn't no at time got them be good hear if anybody has decent ones and works them and how they do in field

• Haha 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Fred east said:

Does anybody breed work deerhound crosses I got two but not very good to tell truth but not out working stuff I thought were but just from dog peddler/puppy farmer didn't no at time got them be good hear if anybody has decent ones and works them and how they do in field

My uncle spent years chasing decent deerhound crosses after numerous failures he bit the bullet and bought a deerhound dog pup from working stuff. Grafted it for a few years ( he was ok but the lurchers we had were much better) and put it over a coursing bitch he had and them pups were  middling at best. If I was you I wouldn’t waste much time on them you would be better of with a 1/4 deerhound or something else in the mix 

• Like 1

My 1st ever dog was a deerhound grey x collie grey amazing dog so when I was in my early 20s I went and got a 1st cross off dave platts to run alongside my collie grey and on rabbits the collie cross pissed all over it on hares he was OK but the collie cross miles better and on fox hit and miss and was 1 temperamental f****r I wanted to get shut of him to be honest but as I don't pass dogs around as if you pass shit around it keeps getting passed around and wouldn't want to wonder what sort of mistreatment he was having anyway as look would have it a pals daughter loved the big thing was 30 to shoulder far to big for round here and so when he was about 5 he went for a week while I was away and never came back and excelled at being her pet very protective of her went everywhere together and his Mrs wanted a little westie for her ??? put me off getting another for life think crossing to something else would be the only way I'd have 1 or maybe a second cross 

• Like 1

ive seen lots run over the years ,and had one myself ,but only 1 , a good lurcher is twice the dog of any deerhound x in my eyes ,..i saw a d/h owner refuse to run his dog on a third hare cause he knew he was spent from the previous two,,the saluki x wasnt though and ran as well as if it was his first ,there stunning animals to watch and on bigger stuff may be good but a lurcher in my opinion is always better at almost everything else 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, scottish hare hunter said:

guess mines must be a freak of nature.  

Yours three quarter greyhound ? Or three quarter deerhound ? Maybe u got lucky 21 inch wheaten x greyhound bitches doing job for me now big floppy deerys just pets gave up maybe half decent to some but not up to my standered maybe ones saw as kid n liked look of were keener types 40 years ago hope you have good season mate 

7 hours ago, scottish hare hunter said:

guess mines must be a freak of nature.  

My pals is doing everything asked of her. Mine is getting there and showing promise where as my pals is more switched on 

Mine is getting better with every night out. Every night is a lesson for her.

Very happy with both of them. 

• Like 3

in my opinion the do not add any thing in the mix apart from hight and then if a dog is to big its not much good any way you get odd ones that have a bit in there make up that are real good ones but there are few and far between and now that all the good ness has been bred out of pure stuff the breed is about done in my opinon 

• Like 5