Another for the .223

Had a break in the weather this evening, so thought I would take a stroll round the farm.

Had to walk the long way round due to the wind, but at least it gives me a chance to check on the rabbit numbers.

Had a look in the last paddock before crossing the railway bridge, nothing there.  Got the trail cam set up on a path running across the field so thought I would have a look at that while I was there.  Definately a badger track as lots of photos of badgers.

Nothing in field, so decided to head home.  Crossed back over the railway bridge and had another quick look in the last paddock.  20 yards from the hedge, fox stood looking at me.  must of come up the embankment as I was checking the camera.  He took off about 60 yards onto the paddock lane and then just sat down to look at me.  That was long enough for me, and number 2 dropped to the .223

20181112-213542.jpg

Edited by lllluke1
  • Like 5

Three times now I've put the guns away , bolts out , ammo tucked away and drove out towards the gate to exit the fields , and three friggin times Charlie has been hanging around the gate , just sits there taking the piss , no safe shot on him and I'm sure he knows that , 

Atb 

• Haha 2

I know the feeling.  Went to check the camera the other day, and there was charlie, wandering round the woods no more than 30 yards away without a care in the world.

12 hours ago, Fredcoolbreeze said:

that looks great, what was your hit placement? and what's your .223 grain? what was the damage inside?

42 grain v-max.  went straight through, bit of a mess on the exit wound, that's why I turned him over

• Like 1

They wasn't playing ball tonight.

1st fox was way out of my comfortable range and wouldn't come in to a call.  Tried closing the gap between us, but with the field full of sheep trying to get close enough without causing a stampede was impossible.

2nd was about 50 yards away from me as I walked into field, wind was blowing from me towards him and as soon as I put on lamp, he was gone at a incredible rate of knots.

Never mind, I'll save them for another night

• Like 2