VHD set to decimate our rabbit population!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? When I  was a young'un, I pursued rabbits with impunity,.. my folks were smallholders in Rural Wales and nobody bothered about a lad taking a few rabbits and hares.  Then, I was dragged  (kicki

You are right to a point, but I think there is a much bigger picture than landowners or hunters as rabbits are a major food source for many  predators like bop,s that have just come back from us pickl

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Councilestatekid said:

I was up on the outer hebrides not long ago in Ness as I've family there and when I was wondering about didnt see a single rabbit I got told there's ment to be out and about on the moors but I never saw any 

same in lakedistrict was there in September didn't see any out walking. didn't see a single 1 knocked over or sat on grass verges while travelling either. 

30 minutes ago, fred90 said:

same in lakedistrict was there in September didn't see any out walking. didn't see a single 1 knocked over or sat on grass verges while travelling either. 

Same Fred I'm a regular visitor to the lakes as I do a lot of hill walking i and have only seen a handful out and about in years Ive only been up 4 times this year and didn't see 1 now you mention it 

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Nothing but pockets of rabbits round here now compared to 10 years ago. Disease has utterly f****d them. Bloody shame really but at least I had some good rabbiting before it all went.

Not sure they will ever recover. When myxi was introduced it knocked the population back permanently. It should be expected that RHD will have a similar effect.

??????

It was reported a few years ago there were more rabbits in the UK than when myxomatosis was introduced.

1 hour ago, CushtyJook said:

Rabbits and hunting for them is pointless around here and has been for a few years 

I haven't seen a single rabbit, since I moved back to the county a year ago ! Not one !

I've got permissions in North Bucks, too - same story !

2 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

I was up on the outer hebrides not long ago in Ness as I've family there and when I was wondering about didnt see a single rabbit I got told there's ment to be out and about on the moors but I never saw any 

I was doing galson to europie and taking upto 100 a week until around two weeks ago, they were a massive problem and a good earner for me at 50p a tail. I won't be going out for rabbit any more until I see if there's a good recovery.

2 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

I's this europie top near port of Ness and galson is that where the big estate is pal

That's port of ness, europie is other side of ness where playpark is. Galson is between melbost and dell, the estate is galson estate and covers 56,000 acres ness to Barvas.