Duck feeding

Feed the shallowest end in no more than 7 inches of water,put one bag of food in and leave it a week and check to see if it’s disappearing if it’s not leave it another week and check the food again don’t put more food down until the first bag starts to disappear and don’t shoot it as soon as only 1 or 2 duck use it wait until there are lots and you will have a better flight,hope this helps

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t beat a bit of duck flighting......will they come, won’t they come.....the sound of pinions in the sky....teal buzzing round like moths....just started feeding up a pond in a wood.....will give u

Had a few evenings on one of our ponds this season. 23 picked between four guns on Saturday. Best part about it for me is the dog work, working this little fella. He's got the job sussed no

Posted Images

As above, unless your putting ducks down, it isn’t when you want to shoot, it’s when the ducks are coming.

feed it exactly as wf says above but don’t shoot anything, only feed if it’s going and keep building on that, once a duck finds water and food more will come, and keep coming if there is food and they are not been hammered.

i only shoot my ponds or splashes once a fortnight and the ducks keep coming, if you hammer them too often they soon bugger off.

On 11/12/2018 at 20:59, Rabid said:

As above, unless your putting ducks down, it isn’t when you want to shoot, it’s when the ducks are coming.

feed it exactly as wf says above but don’t shoot anything, only feed if it’s going and keep building on that, once a duck finds water and food more will come, and keep coming if there is food and they are not been hammered.

i only shoot my ponds or splashes once a fortnight and the ducks keep coming, if you hammer them too often they soon bugger ..

Edited by bobajob

Guys. I'm sure you will agree that when the weather closes in then there won't be any shooting anyway. It sounds like our man has only this one splash so is trying his very best to get results. Obviously, we as readers, have no idea what other wet areas are around this area which possibly means that there are other people feeding similarly. Who knows, in this day and age, there could be feeing going on simply to give a magnet to wildfowl without any shooting going on. All I can say is that , from experience, persevere with the feeding, and as Rabid says, feed only when you are fairly sure that it is being taken. What type of hide are you setting up in ? Do you have a dog? Could the wildfowl be spotting something they don't like? Looking at the pics of the splash you have only the tree line to get down in. Birds will only land into the wind. Could this be a factor? Once again I say all the best. Good shooting. Jok.

On 12/12/2018 at 15:48, jok said:

Guys. I'm sure you will agree that when the weather closes in then there won't be any shooting anyway. It sounds like our man has only this one splash so is trying his very best to get results. Obviously, we as readers, have no idea what other wet areas are around this area which possibly means that there are other people feeding similarly. Who knows, in this day and age, there could be feeing going on simply to give a magnet to wildfowl without any shooting going on. All I can say is that , from experience, persevere with the feeding, and as Rabid says, feed only when you are fairly sure that it is being taken. What type of hide are you setting up in ? Do you have a dog? Could the wildfowl be spotting something they don't like? Looking at the pics of the splash you have only the tree line to get down in. Birds will only land into the wind. Could this be a factor? Once again I say all the best. Good shooting. Jok.

Hi jok  I know there is a few ponds  a few miles away that get fed and shot.. and a fishery very close..  I don't use a hide I just sit in tight on a break in the hedge line with a ghillie suit on .. and I don't take any dogs with me.. I will have a look at my camera  at the weekend and see what's happening for better results . I will also take some more pics for more help from you guys .. 

Cheers 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, bobajob said:

Hi jok  I know there is a few ponds  a few miles away that get fed and shot.. and a fishery very close..  I don't use a hide I just sit in tight on a break in the hedge line with a ghillie suit on .. and I don't take any dogs with me.. I will have a look at my camera  at the weekend and see what's happening for better results . I will also take some more pics for more help from you guys .. 

Cheers 

I had a place that was boarded against a tree line and the duck didn’t like it, some places they like, some they don’t.....have another in a wood that’s a struggle for them to get in and out and they love it.....

On 13/12/2018 at 17:31, bobajob said:

Edited by bobajob
Stopped .
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a good 45 mins tonight at the splash  and it was mostly teal that come in...  only one mallard came in and I dropped it  .. dropped 4 teal but could only find 3 as I don't use a dog .. just to say that them teal are bloody hard birds to shoot at near dark ... but had a good time ... all hard work pays off.. starting to get a pattern of when there mostly on the splash  due to my trial cam ..

20181228_172243.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, bobajob said:

Had a good 45 mins tonight at the splash  and it was mostly teal that come in...  only one mallard came in and I dropped it  .. dropped 4 teal but could only find 3 as I don't use a dog .. just to say that them teal are bloody hard birds to shoot at near dark ... but had a good time ... all hard work pays off.. starting to get a pattern of when there mostly on the splash  due to my trial cam ..

20181228_172243.jpg

any trail cam pics

On 11/12/2018 at 20:44, wilbur foxhound said:

Feed the shallowest end in no more than 7 inches of water,put one bag of food in and leave it a week and check to see if it’s disappearing if it’s not leave it another week and check the food again don’t put more food down until the first bag starts to disappear and don’t shoot it as soon as only 1 or 2 duck use it wait until there are lots and you will have a better flight,hope this helps

Pretty much as above.

We have a small pond which we only feed once a week when we shoot the duck. We go early afternoon and shoot the pond off. We then put about two game bags of wheat down. One on  the bank in a loose pile under an oak tree and the second bag in one place in a shallow about 6 Inches deep. Occasionally we shoot it at about 4 ish if we are near it and the end of the afternoon.  Generally we have  mallard early in the season and teal and wigeon later. Using wheat hasn't seemed to have any problems. I dont recall any time when there haven't been duck on the pond. It could be anywhere from about 10...15 up to the most we have ever seen of over 100. They must have been shoulder  to shoulder on the pond.  If the duck are coming in then it is tranquility that they want. When we shoot the pond the duck always come off at the same point. Generally two guns take position about thirty paces out in the field by two oaks on the end of the pond that the duck generally fly out over. Depends on the wind. I slip round the back  of the pond with the dog and creep in , launching a clod of mud over the top and put the dog in. I generally get a shot or two off as they go off the pond and this makes them go off over the other guns. We then go around the farm on a general walk up.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1

Can’t beat a bit of duck flighting......will they come, won’t they come.....the sound of pinions in the sky....teal buzzing round like moths....just started feeding up a pond in a wood.....will give us a bit of sport next week ......you can have a lot of fun with a puddle...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

You should try an evening flight,walk the ducks off in the daylight without firing any shots then have your days shooting then go to the ducks last thing into the dark,you will probably get a lot more shooting atb,wf

Wilbur I am doing it around about 4.30pm to 5.30pm and by the latter it is very dark. Is this what you mean by evening flight?? By the 5.30pm can barely see anything and all I can do is listen for them and hope for a flight across an visible break of skyline..iv seen me sitting and all I hear is the splash of them landing in the puddle..p.s no I don't shoot them.. I try make a noise to get them up  .. no sport in shooting them off the water.

• Like 2