Duck feeding

7 hours ago, bobajob said:

Had a good hour mate thanks. Went about 3.30 started coming in about  4.15  that was me till about 5.20.  Me and my mate got 6 mallard and 1,teal between us.. Great night 

we went out at 5pm two weeks ago as we got to pond 2 mallard came in. slowly tried getting guns ready without them noticing but they clocked us and flew off.  we were going to go half hour early today. only 2nd year on the pond , few mallard , plenty of teal and a woodcock eluding me. 

the mallard kept threatening to land but veered off each time. im going to try 3 decoys and have been practising calls all week to see if that helps

hoping for more mallard. been 80-90% teal last year and altho their tasty they are so small its almost pointless. ferrets like them tho

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t beat a bit of duck flighting......will they come, won’t they come.....the sound of pinions in the sky....teal buzzing round like moths....just started feeding up a pond in a wood.....will give u

Had a few evenings on one of our ponds this season. 23 picked between four guns on Saturday. Best part about it for me is the dog work, working this little fella. He's got the job sussed no

Posted Images

On 13/11/2018 at 16:13, jok said:

Get up at 5.00 am ,feed, go to work, get back, feed at 6.00pm, shoot, go to bed , get up at 5.00am and keep the job going. Don't forget the ice is coming so make the most of it lol. You might think me a bit strange, but, if you looked back in time at previous posts, I advocate the feeding of bananas alongside barley and potatoes. Don't put the potatoes in the flight pond as this will cause problems. Bananas are fantastic and back when I originally posted were readily available from our local Supermarket as end of date. ( incidentally this is still the case if you ask properly). As regards  barley, might be a bit expensive but once again asking in the right manner might be good. I used to get the dryings which would normally go as pig food. Just a thought. Jok.

what problems are there with potatoes in the flight pond jok?

23 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

we went out at 5pm two weeks ago as we got to pond 2 mallard came in. slowly tried getting guns ready without them noticing but they clocked us and flew off.  we were going to go half hour early today. only 2nd year on the pond , few mallard , plenty of teal and a woodcock eluding me. 

the mallard kept threatening to land but veered off each time. im going to try 3 decoys and have been practising calls all week to see if that helps

hoping for more mallard. been 80-90% teal last year and altho their tasty they are so small its almost pointless. ferrets like them tho

decoys worked a treat. the snipe was lovely such a small amount

20181118_173317.jpg

IMG-20181118-WA0036.jpeg

IMG-20181118-WA0038.jpeg

IMG-20181118-WA0040.jpeg

• Like 2

Welsh_Red. Something I was told years ago about the acidity in the potatoes causing problems with natural fauna and flora in the pond. The guy who was explaining was adamant that potatoes, which will only really break down during frosts or at least very cold weather, should be piled away from the water. The ducks/geese will find the pile without a problem so no harm done there. Similarly, we would only feed barley into shallow puddles rather than in the main pond. Likewise bananas were always on the banks. When you watch wildfowl freely feeding they tend to do so earlier or just at dusk. On a flight pond they will waddle away from the main pond to the feeding point. If you are lucky enough to have a mother pond, or rather not a flight pond, then this is more noticeable. To be fair, most if not all of our flighting was into very small splashes which were easy to feed and maintain. However, as they say, don't try to fix something that ain't broke, and if it's working for you, keep to it. Jok.

• Like 1

You can feed wheat to ducks just don’t put it in the water, if they don’t clear it up quickly it rots and the chemicals it gives off are harmful to ducks, a mate of mine breeds duck and he uses dry feeders that over winter has a mix of wheat, oats and barley, the problem with this is you feed everything else and they bring pests in

• Like 1
On 13/11/2018 at 16:13, jok said:

Get up at 5.00 am ,feed, go to work, get back, feed at 6.00pm, shoot, go to bed , get up at 5.00am and keep the job going. Don't forget the ice is coming so make the most of it lol. You might think me a bit strange, but, if you looked back in time at previous posts, I advocate the feeding of bananas alongside barley and potatoes. Don't put the potatoes in the flight pond as this will cause problems. Bananas are fantastic and back when I originally posted were readily available from our local Supermarket as end of date. ( incidentally this is still the case if you ask properly). As regards  barley, might be a bit expensive but once again asking in the right manner might be good. I used to get the dryings which would normally go as pig food. Just a thought. Jok.

HI jok I went and fed the water this morn  there was only a handful. Of mallard on it.. But the pond had froze.. Would this make the numbers deteriate

16 minutes ago, bobajob said:

HI jok I went and fed the water this morn  there was only a handful. Of mallard on it.. But the pond had froze.. Would this make the numbers deteriate

No expert but I would have thought so , as they want to be where unfrozen waters to , so they can feed/bathe?

Definitely. They would try to land, find out they couldn't and move on to bigger deeper water. Worth a go at breaking away the ice where they would normally alight. I used to use a house brick on a bit of rope lol. Looked a right pillock.jok.

On 22/11/2018 at 09:23, jok said:

Definitely. They would try to land, find out they couldn't and move on to bigger deeper water. Worth a go at breaking away the ice where they would normally alight. I used to use a house brick on a bit of rope lol. Looked a right pillock.jok

OK lads I have been And feeding the pond every second morning  at  5.30am .. And there has not been one duck on it at that time in morning. The last time I shot it I only got one.. To be fair I only got one shot but wasn't the best of nights for it... Do yous think they have moved on 

1 hour ago, Welsh_red said:

is the feed going

I would say yes it is but could be sinking to bottom of pool.. Where is muddy and when walk in it . It disturbs the bottom and then can't see.. I'm thinking of putting up a trail Camara to find out

The duck know where the food is you be sure. They will 'duck dive' (sorry) to about 14" so if the corn is in there they will defo come back. I'm hoping you took it on board about having feed on the banks as well. Ok some vermin may get a free meal but not all of it. If you managed to get some potatoes down then they should be starting to rot having been frosted.  It's currently 25 degrees where I am so we ain't many ducks around here . LOL. Jok.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, jok said:

The duck know where the food is you be sure. They will 'duck dive' (sorry) to about 14" so if the corn is in there they will defo come back. I'm hoping you took it on board about having feed on the banks as well. Ok some vermin may get a free meal but not all of it. If you managed to get some potatoes down then they should be starting to rot having been frosted.  It's currently 25 degrees where I am so we ain't many ducks around here . LOL. Jok.

With a bit of food on the banks it will be pretty obvious if the ducks are taking it , they are the messiest eaters in the world ..everything will be puddled up .. good luck with it .  

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2018 at 09:49, sussex said:

With a bit of food on the banks it will be pretty obvious if the ducks are taking it , they are the messiest eaters in the world ..everything will be puddled up .. good luck with it .  

Edited by bobajob