Duck feeding

Hi I'm fairly new to shooting  (18 months) and iv aquired a small pond /swamp   roughly 100 square meters in size.. It holds some mallard and teal.. I have fed it a couple of times.. And there is more n more coming .. I work 5 days a week from 6am till 5pm..  What would be the best time to feed it as It is dark when I finish work now. Any help would be appreciated.. 

P. S I  dont have anybody  close enough to feed it through the day. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t beat a bit of duck flighting......will they come, won’t they come.....the sound of pinions in the sky....teal buzzing round like moths....just started feeding up a pond in a wood.....will give u

Had a few evenings on one of our ponds this season. 23 picked between four guns on Saturday. Best part about it for me is the dog work, working this little fella. He's got the job sussed no

Posted Images

2 hours ago, bobajob said:

Good shout pal. But to be honest I'd be scared in case someone lifted it

possibility. maybe a trailcam facing it ? wouldnt stop the theft but would show u the culprit 

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/automatic-game-easy-feeder-6v-duck-pheasant-2597-p.asp

thnk thats what i looked at bfore

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, bobajob said:

Hi I'm fairly new to shooting  (18 months) and iv aquired a small pond /swamp   roughly 100 square meters in size.. It holds some mallard and teal.. I have fed it a couple of times.. And there is more n more coming .. I work 5 days a week from 6am till 5pm..  What would be the best time to feed it as It is dark when I finish work now. Any help would be appreciated.. 

P. S I  dont have anybody  close enough to feed it through the day. 

You not got a shooting mate that can help you out and feed it in daylight hours ?....otherwise only options are an auto feeder or go before work and hoof them off and feed then....

Get up at 5.00 am ,feed, go to work, get back, feed at 6.00pm, shoot, go to bed , get up at 5.00am and keep the job going. Don't forget the ice is coming so make the most of it lol. You might think me a bit strange, but, if you looked back in time at previous posts, I advocate the feeding of bananas alongside barley and potatoes. Don't put the potatoes in the flight pond as this will cause problems. Bananas are fantastic and back when I originally posted were readily available from our local Supermarket as end of date. ( incidentally this is still the case if you ask properly). As regards  barley, might be a bit expensive but once again asking in the right manner might be good. I used to get the dryings which would normally go as pig food. Just a thought. Jok.

19 minutes ago, jok said:

Get up at 5.00 am ,feed, go to work, get back, feed at 6.00pm, shoot, go to bed , get up at 5.00am and keep the job going. Don't forget the ice is coming so make the most of it lol. You might think me a bit strange, but, if you looked back in time at previous posts, I advocate the feeding of bananas alongside barley and potatoes. Don't put the potatoes in the flight pond as this will cause problems. Bananas are fantastic and back when I originally posted were readily available from our local Supermarket as end of date. ( incidentally this is still the case if you ask properly). As regards  barley, might be a bit expensive but once again asking in the right manner might be good. I used to get the dryings which would normally go as pig food. Just a thought. Jok.

Im thinking feed every second day  and Shoot on a Saturday night . I have plenty barley and wheat off a friend  . I have heard about bananas / peas and lettuce.. for  feed also .  Im going to give it a try  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mate. Your ducks were long gone . I would guess that had you gone back at about 4/4.30 pm they were zooming in. They aren't daft and any threat would have them airborne. Don't despair you will have your moment. Jok.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, jok said:

Thinking about it further. You said you'd be back this evening anyway so I assume you have a positive post. Jok.

Had a good hour mate thanks. Went about 3.30 started coming in about  4.15  that was me till about 5.20.  Me and my mate got 6 mallard and 1,teal between us.. Great night 

• Like 2