Unbelievable amount of pigeons

I have never seen the amount of pigeons as I have just recently. They always seem to drop in on the Beech-mast this time of year in good numbers but , I have never seen the numbers I have this year , thousands upon thousands. Once they clean up the Beach-mast I suspect they will hit the rape hard . I anticipate some good shooting on rape this year . I think the good weather this summer means successful nesting and maybe 2 clutches reared . 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They are starting to flock up here, still mostly in the trees but I’ve been working up the farm today and there’s a few dropping from the trees into the edges of the rape a couple of good hard frosts to flatten it down and they will be on it 

Well went out today for a look very few birds around, however I did note that the rape here is already flowering, so unless we get some good hard frosts I feel this year might be a struggle  here.?

Edited by Gooner
Spelling
4 hours ago, Gooner said:

Well went out today for a look very few birds around, however I did note that the rape here is already flowering, so unless we get some good hard frosts I feel this year might be a struggle  here.?

A good frost will knock that back and the pigeons will come ?

• 2 months later...

We have loads here still . They are hitting the maize cover crops . We are getting them topped as soon as the ground is hard . I predict some good bags . Like has been said they are not on the rape yet . We’ve had them on feed rides and cover crops . If you want a day on the pigeons get on to a pheasant or partridge shoot , in the next week or two on the topped maize . 

• Like 1

I think that there are plenty of birds down here but that they are very dispersed. Recently I've seen them on grass fields, in the orchard on the Apple crop that was just picked and chucked on the ground and lots in people's gardens feeding on the spillage from bird feeders. Sometimes I  could pack shoot probably four feeding on the spilt wheat from our bird feeder. ( I would not do this in my front garden.).  Yesterday we put up probably 20 pigeon with a few corvoìds and hundreds of starlings and fieldfares when we walked round the orchards. They are picking over the apples on the ground and something on the grass.