Cheers mushroom, yes I put it in search button after I posted thread, just got back from seeing a bone man and it's what he said it was, started him on bicarbonate soda today and back to road walking, thing is I've had running dogs a long time now and have not done anything different at the start of season than I usually do, started later this year as ground was still hard , maybe having had a hard ground for so long and doing nothing with him he went below his normal maintenance conditioning?

Acidosis is nothing to do with hard ground or bones mate. It's over exertion when running, usually when the dog is not fully fighting fit ;)

Just re-read your post and got the hard ground bit lol ;)

Hard ground shouldn't matter as long as you've been walking it with free running, I can't see that being the issue. Has the dog been drinking excessively? Really tired prior?

Edited by mushroom

8 years old mate, there's your answer ;) at that age they ain't the same a year before.

Run harder than it's body can take. As watchum said dogs that are spin machines or high strung seem to be prone but have heard tales of older dogs going for a chase through mind over matter and coming back f****d. 

My old dog had arthritis like you can't believe but he didn't give a fec. He went after something and that was that. Silly fuucker wasn't even a lurcher :laugh: for the next week he'd be in pain but he'd still do it when he recovered. Probs around 9 years old

• 3 weeks later...