Numbers

3 minutes ago, dillydog said:

The trouble with keeping just one or two is you can soon fall flat on your face, if you keep maybe one or two more than you need you can juggle them about and help out other lads that you know. 

I enjoy the process of bringing a youngster on, watching all the pennies drop and their talents shine through.  I don't have enough work for a lot of terriers, I'm to miserable to kiss enough arse to help myself out there lol.  

Then you've got the fact that 90% of lads haven't a clue how to bring out the best in a terrier, I'd sooner do it for them and then put the dog out with him or her firing on all cylinders. 

When I was a young man starting out I used to keep upto 7 working terriers, I never felt comfortable with so many in truth.  Nothe that I couldn't find the work for them, there wasn't the rifle boys back then and I was falling over game. I gave countless workers to mates and people I thought were decent lads, I got down to two workers I could bet my life on and I was a happy man. Within a season I'd lost them both, strangely all those mates and people I'd helped out melted away into the background when I needed help. The only person who gave me something back was someone I didn't talk to, someone who I'd fell out with three years before  !  

There's more than the amount of digging in front of you to take into account when keeping a family of any type of terrier.

Exactly! Top reply

There’s no possible way 2 workers would possibly do me a season. For instance say I was out Saturday and Sunday and managed 5 digs over both days that’s 5 terriers you don’t have the next weekend as they will need rest. And I wouldn’t say my dogs are the brain dead wreckless type. The mix it away but I still wouldn’t expect to dig them week in week out as I don’t believe in working dogs sore. I would say between the few of us that dig together we would need 15 workers because when we go out we go for the day not half days and home. 

• Like 3