Jump to content
Underdog

Electric cars?

Recommended Posts

The charging in issue!

Can one remain tax free in an electric car but tow a small trailer with a little diesel generator in it and a cable running to the car?

U😎

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't want to pay tax it would probably be easier to just buy a 40 year old motor than to drive around looking like your in the whacky racers 🚙🚙🚙

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Underdog said:

The charging in issue!

Can one remain tax free in an electric car but tow a small trailer with a little diesel generator in it and a cable running to the car?

U😎

Yes and run it on red too why not!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

If you don't want to pay tax it would probably be easier to just buy a 40 year old motor than to drive around looking like your in the whacky racers 🚙🚙🚙

Too old to worry about looks. 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gav said:

Yes and run it on red too why not!

It's now illegal to use cherry for propulsion purposes, if you have diggers or machines they have to have two tanks one for red when off the highway and one for white to propel you along the road, even boats that have diesel heating have to have a seperate tank one for red to run the heating and one for white to move the boat along thanks to the eu, would be an interesting court case if you ever got tugged,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Too old to worry about looks. 😋

Same as that mate but would you really want to tow a trailer everywhere behind you, a friend has a new Nissan Leaf and on long journeys he just stops in the services for a cup of tea and I think he said the car is charged in around Half an hour free, why do you need an electric car and a power plant you have me intrigued now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Greyman said:

It's now illegal to use cherry for propulsion purposes, if you have diggers or machines they have to have two tanks one for red when off the highway and one for white to propel you along the road, even boats that have diesel heating have to have a seperate tank one for red to run the heating and one for white to move the boat along thanks to the eu, would be an interesting court case if you ever got tugged,

Never heard that, my tractor just always been run on red, all the trawlers I worked on with 1000 gallon+ tanks only ever run red heating and trawling. Tractors on red allowed so many miles on the highways, but how can they police that? A generator is used to generate electricity and static even on a trailer so perfectly legal to run on red. The heating on trawlers is tapped straight from the main tank anyway. Plant that is tax exempt is also allowed on a public highway using red. White to move a boat along, I've not seen any amount of flood water where you'd get a trawler on a highway 🤣 😂 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My landrover has a compressor built into the chassis so has always been registered as plant, but I was informed about 2 year ago that I could not run it on red when on the road anymore, which it has done since 1975 when it was new, and if I pull into a marina in the boat they will not put red in the fuel tank, so I have to collect it in jerry cans and fuel up down the way unless I fit a seperate tank for my heating fuel, they are also talking about banning tractors from main roads though that's still in the pipeline, luckily most police don't no the in,s and outs of it so doubt you,ll ever fall fowl but for warned is for armed and ignorance is no excuse to the law so go carefull 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its plant from 1975 it should be tax exempt so should be able to run on red, I suspect the powers that be will try an overcome it, but I'd check it out!

I've never owned pleasure craft, the last trawler I was on we were doing 5000 gallons every three days, if we had to put white in we wouldn't have been able to afford to go out 😂

There's some easy ways to filter the dye out anyway, I can do 1000 litres a month without the tax man investigating 😉 my tractor certainly runs a lot of hours sat in the byre though 🤣

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Same as that mate but would you really want to tow a trailer everywhere behind you, a friend has a new Nissan Leaf and on long journeys he just stops in the services for a cup of tea and I think he said the car is charged in around Half an hour free, why do you need an electric car and a power plant you have me intrigued now 

Does your mate get blowed around on windy days 😁

 

If I went up to Gavs gaff in an electric car I would need a genny with me. Besides he's too tight to let me run a lead out of his bedroom window!😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Does your mate get blowed around on windy days 😁

 

If I went up to Gavs gaff in an electric car I would need a genny with me. Besides he's too tight to let me run a lead out of his bedroom window!😀

There's always ways and means pal, plenty of overhead lines here and lamp posts 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gav said:

If its plant from 1975 it should be tax exempt so should be able to run on red, I suspect the powers that be will try an overcome it, but I'd check it out!

I've never owned pleasure craft, the last trawler I was on we were doing 5000 gallons every three days, if we had to put white in we wouldn't have been able to afford to go out 😂

There's some easy ways to filter the dye out anyway, I can do 1000 litres a month without the tax man investigating 😉 my tractor certainly runs a lot of hours sat in the byre though 🤣

It's always been tax and mot exempt and run on red but I was told that I had to run it on white and claim the duty back at the end of the year as the eu want an end to red diesel, I don't do enough miles in it to worry about it so never really followed it up I only get it out in the snow these days, but my family have a few inland boats and you can't get red put in the fuel tank at any of the marinas  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the trouble they're always changing the goal posts then no one knows where they are, they banned 2 stroke out boards a while ago because of pollution, trouble is then the 4 stroke are heavier use more juice and oil = creates more pollution. The folk in offices making these rules up should be wearing clown outfits honestly. I'm putting in for a pallet of kitty litter before they ban that too 😜

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×