Longnetting at night

smithie

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s all about getting out Fred , numbers are a bonus to me. I have a lovely drop not too far from home and a 20 min walk saw me at the bottom of a bank . On the other side of the bank is a 10acr

Only five but it was good to be out with a likeminded chap.

Fred.. it’s thl mate, there are a lot of folk doing a lot of things which they don’t post about.. they can’t do with the bitching and clowns that frequent thl ,it’s a shame cos there were some very kn

Posted Images

It’s all about getting out Fred , numbers are a bonus to me.

I have a lovely drop not too far from home and a 20 min walk saw me at the bottom of a bank . On the other side of the bank is a 10acre pasture , the rabbits come out of the scrub up over the bank and feed in the pasture ( it is a perfect blind set) . The wind was coming in gusts straight from the pasture and over the bank to where I was about to set the net. I’d been waiting for this 15mph south wind for weeks so I could have a crack at this drop.the church clock struck 12pm just as I put the end pin in the ground, I took out a peg and wrapped the foot line around it and pushed it into the ground, I then looked up to see a chap walking towards me , I put the peg back in my coat and wrapped up the net then walked into the scrub...... havnt a clue who he was or what he was doing but he fcucked up my night lol.  So yes I’m still getting out but most nights produce little to nothing.

• Like 7

at least you were having a go.its bad enough arseholes about in daylight even worse at night. feck knows what he was doing.i know what you mean about numbers. a few drops & even if its only a couple its still enjoyable. ?

At first I thought it was another netter but he was walking along the top of the bank that’s how I saw him, the wind was whipping the pylon wires making a cracking/sparking sound as I approached the set which was quite eery so I was already looking over my shoulder lol.

When you have got the right night, wind in the right direction etc and there's plenty of bunnies out I think it's my favourite way of pest control as it's hard but very rewarding.

It's a bit of a cheat but I treated myself to a thermal imager from Ian off here  about one and a half years ago, what a game changer no more running nets out and a fox has just beaten you to it as you just spend a few nights before seeing where rabbits are and where they go. When you have not been out with a thermal before it's surprising what's actually out and about and how many rabbits are right out and duck down in tractor tracks. Next time I am out I will try and film some footage and put it on have tried before and it always says file too large but will have another go. I'm quite lucky to have plenty of decent ground to go at with some good drops

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 07/11/2018 at 20:22, fred90 said:

i dont think people are doing much.rabbit numbers not helping. 

over last couple years numbers have dropped on local ground and places that held good numbers are Barron.most iv took on days ferreting is six this season .if the numbers were there I'd like to give longnetting at night a go .only been out with others and must b twenty yr ago .

On 21/01/2019 at 06:55, Mr Wilkes said:

Any footage yet wilbs ?.

I completely forgot all about it pal but I've got some footage from before I tried to post it but file too large. One of the regulars from on here was going to come out with me this weekend just gone but was busy with work so told him to come out with me next time for a day or two ferreting and shooting and I will try and squeeze some night time long netting in and I will try and film some decent footage and post that.

I bumped into a young couple shagging on my permission a while back at 3am in the morning, they had nowt on and i had the crack with them but they were a bit embarrassed so told him to carry on and finish the job lol. That would have been a good bit of footage!  They were at it right next to a bottle of water I had left and the permission is bloody massive 

??? reminds me of a story I was told. A lad was out longnetting nr a beauty spot and a car pulled up so he hit the hedge and crawled into the undergrowth the occupants spewed out  and set about making whuppee right at the side of him, I said wow I bet that was different ! He said yes it was....but it was three blokes !???

• Haha 1

Gay people in general seem to have good personalities and each to their own but I couldn't lie next to them and watch it ......now lesbians that's a different matter now we're talking. You do see some stuff when you are out and about at night 

Once saw a couple of travelling lads tipping a load of pvc fascia on a country lane the one in the van booted it and his mate went flying out the back and landed on the fascia. Ended up having the crack with them they put it all back on the van and chucked it out somewhere else.

Turned up to do some long netting one night and someone was already there, they saw us and ran off and left behind their long nets and about 10 rabbits. We were there for quite a while but they never came back. I don't mind if i see young lads out getting a few bunnies when they don't have permission I used to.do it myself years ago., I remember a couple of occasions when I have looked up whilst out ferreting to find a shotgun pointed at my head lol.  Most farmers years ago just used to say knock on my bloody door next time and I will allow you on ferreting 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Our team said:

Long netting 

Mmmmmm. Hardest way to catch rabbits. They. Not daft.  Best way. Always. Been best    just set up in light. Bellow an embankment   and sit. For ages and wait. And wait. And wait. 

I put bells on mine. And I put them on the bottom of the nets. Not the top were wind can make them. Sound. 

you have bells on something & it's certainly not your longnets

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, Our team said:

Long netting 

Mmmmmm. Hardest way to catch rabbits. They. Not daft.  Best way. Always. Been best    just set up in light. Bellow an embankment   and sit. For ages and wait. And wait. And wait. 

I put bells on mine. And I put them on the bottom of the nets. Not the top were wind can make them. Sound. 

How many bells per metre ? And do you find hanking up a bit difficult ? And lastly ... where do you get your bells.

• Haha 1