Mews

muttley94

Hi Guys,

I've been away a while as I've been very busy with work, moving etc but my interest in falconry has continued to grow and I've now reached a stage where I feel I have enough time to have a bird and do it justice!

I've been reading and researching for over 5 years now (I've been through nearly every post on this forum :whistling: :) as well as read all the usual recommended books) and I know this is something I want to do and so next season I will start. I have decided on a FHH, as I think they are fantastic, versatile birds but also my father used to fly a Harris so is on hand to assist, I also have a friend up north who flies a couple of birds and will be able to help if I'm really desperate! I have flying land available with enough quarry (mostly rabbits but with some variety) and believe this land is suitable for a HH. 

On a side note, if there is anyone in Kent or in the South East in general (I'm happy to travel a fair distance) who is willing to take me out at all to build experience this season then that would be fantastic?! I'm eager to learn and take on as much advice as I can!

But the main point of this post is to get some feedback and advice on building my mews, I have a rough idea so any additional thoughts would be great! (I promise not to be offended if you dont like my ideas :victory: ) I will do some drawings and plans over the next week and add them when I do.

So my thinking is that the total area available is a 16ft long by 8ft wide concrete base

On the far left will be the door which leads to a hallway housing all equipment, a fridge-freezer and will also act as a double door system before entering the mews. 

Off of this corridor will be the main mews, this will be 7ft by 8ft, I plan to include a drainage hole and pipe set within the concrete (I'm thinking either pea shingle or sand as the flooring on top of the main base), a feeding pipe, a barred window, window perch, high corner perch and a bow perch which she will be tethered on during the season and free lofted in summer. 

Now this is the bit I really want ideas on... I'd like to the have a door leading to a weathering joint onto the mew, taking up the remaining 5ft by 8ft. The door between mews and weathering will have a window like opening in that, during the free lofted moult will allow the bird to decide if she wishes to sit in the weathering or the mews? But that during the season it can be closed and the bird tethered on a perch in the weathering as wanted.

I know this is a bit unusual and sorry if its hard to imagine without any plans but since I'm building it from scratch I am able to plan now and build it as I would like to have it. There is the possibility of a bigger overall base so the mews or weathering could be made larger if those sound too small, but that was my allocated part of the garden :whistling:

I believe that having an adjoining weathering will mean that not only is she totally secure when on the weathering during the season but also that she will be given a better choice in a range of environments and whatever conditions she chooses during the moult? Im just trying to make the best and most comfortable environment for her  :thumbs:

9 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

This suits a female Harris very well, freelofted all year round.

oh perfect that's similar to what I had in mind, thanks for your reply Moorman!

Just a few questions if you don't mind...

Is the far left a double door system? and is there any separation between the enclosed 'shed' section and the open 'bar' section?

What roofing material you have used?  

also do you mind if I ask what size each section is?

I can't remember the dimensions it was a few years ago that we built it I will have to measure it in the daylight.

There is no door between the shelter and the barred section its all open. There is a canvas sheet that I have rolled up as a curtain for really bad weather but have never had the need to use it. The wooden section is lined with plastic parlour board to make cleaning easy. The roof is corrugated metal sheet 4 x 2's then lined with parlour board. It all works very well and is easy to clean. Below is a pic before it was finished just to give you an idea.

DSC_0254.JPG

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

I can't remember the dimensions it was a few years ago that we built it I will have to measure it in the daylight.

There is no door between the shelter and the barred section its all open. There is a canvas sheet that I have rolled up as a curtain for really bad weather but have never had the need to use it. The wooden section is lined with plastic parlour board to make cleaning easy. The roof is corrugated metal sheet 4 x 2's then lined with parlour board. It all works very well and is easy to clean. Below is a pic before it was finished just to give you an idea.

That's brilliant cheers mate! If you get a chance to find out the dimensions that would be great but no need to go out of your way to :) 

Yes I was planning to build the mews out of brick and then have the inside lined with plastic board :D 

16 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

With a bit of Clematis for a bit of natural greenery.

DSC_0248.JPG

lovely looking bird there ?

Thank you....All I can say is it works well. The bird is free lofted all year round and keeps herself fit. Its just nice knowing that she isn't tethered with the risk of tangling etc. She sees plenty going on all the time. It works well with the minimum of maintenance etc

Edited by Moorman 1
On 09/11/2018 at 22:30, Moorman 1 said:

Thank you....All I can say is it works well. The bird is free lofted all year round and keeps herself fit. Its just nice knowing that she isn't tethered with the risk of tangling etc. She sees plenty going on all the time. It works well with the minimum of maintenance etc

whats the gap you have in the bars mate? The smallest panels I can seem to find are 5cm gaps and that strikes me as too big? or is that ok? :hmm:

11 hours ago, muttley94 said:

whats the gap you have in the bars mate? The smallest panels I can seem to find are 5cm gaps and that strikes me as too big? or is that ok? :hmm:

Mine are 5cm which is 2 inches never had a problem with them and I know plenty of people that use these panels.

• Like 1