Evening,

Found your forum while looking for information on firearms, from training to good first .22 rifles etc. I was losing hope until I landed here.

So I’m lucky enough to have a neighbor that owns the land behind my house, roughly 6 acres with nothing but fields and hills for 2 miles after that.

I’ve been happily (with his permission) picking off the pigeons and squirrels with my 12ft lb air arms s410. 

He has now offered me permission to shoot a .22 rifle so as I was already going to apply for my shotgun licence, it made sense to get both at the same time. 

But I have a few questions that I’m struggling to find answers to, is there any training I should put myself through? I have a good knowledge of safe handling of my air rifle and have used shotguns for a few years. Is that enough? 

Also, do I need to have a gun cabinet fixed in position prior to having my interview? I would quite like to have their/his/her opinion of the best place before I go drilling holes in walls.

I'm sure there’ll be many more questions but, after being informed that I was looking at at least four months for a decision I have plenty of time. 

Thanks 

Dave

Edited by Dave_4

Hello and welcome mate . read old posts they may help you , your certainly going to need a approved gun cabinet if you get a shotgun or rimmy and it would help if you got one large enough to put your air rifle in as well although there no licenced in england yet like Scotland it will come and you will be prepared 

4 hours ago, kalmantihanyi said:

Welcome to the forum Dave :)

1 hour ago, The one said:

Hello and welcome mate . read old posts they may help you , your certainly going to need a approved gun cabinet if you get a shotgun or rimmy and it would help if you got one large enough to put your air rifle in as well although there no licenced in england yet like Scotland it will come and you will be prepared 

Thanks for the welcome,

I’ll be having a good read of old posts, I’ll definitely have a gun cabinet by then but will they want to see it fixed in position on the day. 

Thanks 

Dave

4 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

Thanks for the welcome,

I’ll be having a good read of old posts, I’ll definitely have a gun cabinet by then but will they want to see it fixed in position on the day. 

Thanks 

Dave

No, they don't need it fixed in position on the day. The good thing about not fixing it is you can put it where they prefer it first time instead of possibly having to move it. The bad thing is you might have the FEO come round again to see you've installed it correctly. No sweat either way.

Like walshie says, leave fixing untill you have what and where the FEO is happy with. Have you thought about where you'll keep ammunition? My cabinet has an internal magazine but nowhere near big enough for the ammo I carry, so I have a separate safe for ammo and keep bolts in the internal magazine in the cabinet.

Most FEO will want to know what firearms experience you have, all ready having permission and experience with your air rifle may be enough, if you can get out with someone who has rimfire and shotgun will stand you in better stead, depends on the FEO at the time though. Any experience you can gain is all for the better. Also you'll need insurance BASC or SACS if you haven't already.

good luck, and don't be intimidated!

Thanks again for your reply’s, 

I was planning on getting a 3+ gun cabinet,  a internal amo safe seems the way to go, but I also have a safe in the house for spare car keys etc. So should have plenty of space. 

I’m working on who I need to talk to at the estate I’ve recently started working on to try and get out with there groundskeeper for a bit more experience. 

I have looked at local clay shoots, but for 100 birds with an instructor is £90 a pop, that a lot for a Sunday morning every other week. 

Thanks Dave

I’d maybe go for a safe that holds more than 3. That’s my personal opinion though. If your anything like most on here you will always end up buying more rifles down the line. Make sure it’s deep enough for your scopes also. My cabinet holds 7 and has an internal lock box. Even though it’s supposed to hold 7 it’s a bit snug for 5. 

Is there any rifle shooting clubs you can join? The FLO will see you have been trained on handling rifles safely if you are a member of a club. Or like you say try and get out with someone who can vouch you have safe handling techniques in regards to rimfire/centrefire etc.

Hope you get sorted?

• 4 months later...

This feels like a long time ago! 

I had FEO call last Wednesday and was with me on the Friday, everything went ok,  she tried to disputed what my cabinet was fixed to, and I assured her that being in the building trade that it would still be there when the house was demolished.

Being keen to go gun shopping I ask how long the wait was until my licence dropped though the door, she replied, you’ve got a long wait, we’re  only just getting though last March’s applications so could be another 12 months!!

Is this normal? It’s a paid service, it’s not free! 

Then I find out that I shouldn’t have been charged for my doctors letter.

But on the plus side I have been out shooting .243 and .308 on a BASC pre dsc1 day ?

Edited by Dave_4

That wait is a joke, you will find it’s different all over the country here we are policed by Durham/Cleveland and the wait is about 8 weeks for your first one and for a variation as long as your not adding land, my last one was 48 hours, sadly you will just have to wait it out as although it’s a paid for service it’s a privilege to have a FAC and they don’t like been told what you expect from them, fingers crossed for you that they get there fingers out there backsides and you don’t have to wait anywhere near 12 months for it ?

yeah Dorset is terrible,

took a mate off this site over 12 months for him to get his in Dorset and that was over a year ago so just hang in there?

I take it by the she its the same woman that visited him!

got mine in north Yorks in under a month 

Personal opinion but I'd always fix the cabinet before FEO arrives, my choice of location and my fixing method, leaves too much to chance if you let the plonkers dictate how/where to mount, also saves a possible second visit! .   Anyway, that's history.

Your wait is not unusual, excessive but relatively common, just the same, it shouldn't take that long!

That wait is torture. Glad I'm in the Cleveland constabulary area, got mine back in 4 weeks and that's with a 308 on it. ( don't want  to sound like I'm rubbing salt in there Dave) Didn't get charged from the doctors either , can you claim that back Dave? Guess we are very lucky up here