I got a frame given a few weeks ago and the lad recommended single gzk bands for it so I ordered some .80 25-20 green and white stuff and trying it out it doesn’t seem that powerful . I used to use double and even triple bands and 12mm lead the last time I messed about with cattys and they did some damage when they hit so I tried a couple of 12mm leads that I had left on an empty soup tin and from about 25 ft the lead put dint in it and a bit of a split in the side but didn’t penetrate it .  I also tried 9.5 steel and although it seemed to get there faster they only put a dint in it . It’s a while since I’ve used a catty and I might be just imagining it but these single bands don’t seem like they will have enough power for hunting with . I know most people are using singles these days so does that kind of damage sound right or should it be going right through 

I got a tape and held it over the forks and measured the draw then I think it was divided by 5 or 5.5 to get the band length like I’ve seen on videos . I’m off up to my mates for a mess about with it in a few minutes so I’ll see how it compares to his with the same bands . 

My mate didn’t get home in time so I had a few shots in the yard and just pulling to my ear instead of the corner of my mouth made a big difference. First hit on a soup tin and the 9.5 steel went through one side instead of just dinting it . I’m not keen on the shape of the frame though . Even though I’ve got big hands it just doesn’t feel comfortable. I put some bands on an old natural I had from years ago and it just felt better and I was more accurate with it so I’ll just crack on with that if I can’t get used to the other frame 

• Like 1
On 7 November 2018 at 06:22, Mr Wilkes said:

Some folk can pick up any catty and shoot well but I went through quite a few before I found the one that suited me ??

Just out of curiosity.....which worked ( scout? ) and which didn't suit.

I had a couple from simpleshot.......that didn't work for me solely down to my aching hands.

Shooting scout copy at moment.

On 14 November 2018 at 19:43, Mr Wilkes said:

I settled with the scout after years with naturals, various ply designs, sps type and ppmg. How you finding the scout ?.

It's my second scout, my first was an original.....in all fairness the copy is literally the same it just needed a bit of very light sanding on some of the seems. I've always shooted ott for the small  amount of time I've had catapults. I really like the scout, but still have some curiosity about other frame styles etc. I did have a couple of other frames from simpleshot, a small black yellow thing and can't exactly remember which the other was but both didn't suit my hand ( I suffer with aching hands ).

I tried ttf yesterday which I liked and found to be a little more consistent, although I slapped my finger on the inside near my knuckle where it grips the catapult ( twice) , cut and bruised and blood blistered.....live and learn.

Im really enjoying learning the catapult its giving me something to practice and improve on and trust me I've a lot to learn!