Land owner permission

Iv only been ferreting for the last 2 years and dont know much in the way of how permission works i have knocked on afew doors and the farmers have said its not up to me its the game keepers that say if you are aloud i thought the land owner would have the say due to this i havn't had much look in the way of permission 

I think It's the duty of the land owner / farmer  to control the rabbit population but  the keeper may have asked the land owner to kerb any disturbance  until after the shooting season maybe you should offer to ferret the rabbits then in FEB.

• Like 1

If it’s anything like round my way neither the farmer or the keeper actually own the land but someone who may not even live on it. The keepers are normally the ones that decide who is allowed on for ferreting shooting etc as if you ruin a shoot day by ferreting in the wrong place it’s his job on the line. Ask the farmers for the keepers number if this happens and talk to them direct about doing areas away from pens and drives or as said doing it in February or March once shoots over. Good luck getting some permission ??

39 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

If it’s anything like round my way neither the farmer or the keeper actually own the land but someone who may not even live on it. The keepers are normally the ones that decide who is allowed on for ferreting shooting etc as if you ruin a shoot day by ferreting in the wrong place it’s his job on the line. Ask the farmers for the keepers number if this happens and talk to them direct about doing areas away from pens and drives or as said doing it in February or March once shoots over. Good luck getting some permission ??

I cannot understand how me ferreting would ruin a shoot day because they not after the rabbits 

It depends entirely on how the land is owned / occupied. 

I shoot over a council farm but can only take vermin as another individual owns the game rights (bought them many years ago when he was a serving Councillor if memory serves me correctly). 

On that basis even the odd opportunistic pheasant would be against the terms of my permission as the farmer cannot actually give me permission to shoot any game on there even if he wanted to. 

Estate owned farms operate in a similar manner regarding centrally controlled game rights but they should still be able to conduct their own pest control. 

The issue with this is that the commercial aspect of the estate's shoot (or a shoot occupying / paying for rights over private land) don't want us mooching about and moving birds around or bumping them to a different part of the estate or off land they have the rights over and as a result they will also buy / reserve all hunting rights to preserve their shoot as the beaters will usually be given pigeon, squirrel and rabbit access from the last day of the season through to the pouts arriving for the following year. 

For tenants in this position they normally need to provide evidence of detrimental effects on their business before the estate will actually do anything proactive but even then it would more than likely not involve a local ferreter doing a day every week or two. 

The best way in on land like this is to find the shoot meet point, have a word with them and do a few days beating for them and have a word with the keeper about ferreting through the winter months around the shoot days and in places / times to suit him and not affect the birds. 

• Thanks 1

On some private estates tenant farmers have the right to give permission for control of rabbits whether  it is keepered or not and we have gained permission in such situations

It usually isn't long before you come across the keeper and at times this has led to further permission it is a trust issue and they will keep an eye on you.

We have also approached keepers and gained permission that way also.

On pheasant shooting land you will always struggle to get permission in the shooting season for fear of disturbance of the birds. After the season has finished there is very little time before they have started breeding if any.

At times keepers seem to get bad mouthed by our experience particularly with grouse moor keepers has been fantastic.

Just keep trying go with a clean motor smartly dressed and you will get there. 

On 04/11/2018 at 21:44, Morgan n said:

I cannot understand how me ferreting would ruin a shoot day because they not after the rabbits 

Because if you are ferreting an area that is due to be shot the next day then your presence could push birds away to other areas causing fewer birds for that drive or even worse if you are not in communication with the keeper and just turn up and start ferreting an area that is due for a drive that day that could ruin a whole drive by being in the way! People pay £1000’s of pounds sometimes for a days shooting and it’s the keepers job to make sure they have a good day so they won’t just let anyone come on the land. Keepers don’t really care about rabbits generally as to them they don’t really cause any harm so no keeper will risk disrupting a shoot day for rabbit control. I ferret several estates with full time keepers on and some are very easy to talk to and tell you where to go for the best day some are a bit grumpy and seem to resent you being there but I always tell them when and where I going and make sure that they are ok with it. You’ll never get permission on keepered land if you can’t get the keeper on side ??