Another couple of bucks

A planned afternoon outing on the bucks with a pal was added to after a call from Rabid , who was on his way back home after an unsuccessful outing earlier in the day with a local stalker . Realising he would have time to get to me before we left I invited him out for an afternoon session. Forty five minutes later he was here and another forty five minutes later after coffee we met my pal over the ground . 

Cunning plan agreed we set of , my mate worked the top ground to get into a seat we’re we have been fairly consistent most of the early part of the season and we would have a look on the lower ground to finish in another fairly successful seat . We had only just got out of the vehicle when we heard the first shot , my mate dosnt normally miss and so it turned out ..

We stalked the lower fields and woodland seeing several bunches including some poor bucks but couldn’t quite get on anything that presented a shot , fearing I’d left it to late to reach the seat we made a bit of a dash to it , seeing a couple of prickets in the wood on route but still not shootable we arrived to find several doe’s already out in front of the seat .Deciding to just get in regardless of the doe’s , which to be fair we never spooked anyway we settled down to wait .That wait was about ten minutes , a buck appeared from the field gate from where we had come and was just ambling across diagonally to us , seeing the doe’s he made towards them but stopped after a few poor imitations of a buck grunting from me brought him towards us at a pace , stopping again at about 100 m a few more grunts had me shouting at him to stop 40m from Rabid with my 6.5 who duly dropped him on the spot ..

70AB6DA3-C1DE-42A9-972C-1B383AD5342F.jpeg.26ce349f82c44fbcc07f6c36065ffe44.jpeg

rabids one top 983074CA-5F7A-4F74-B1D2-55EF06F0864D.jpeg.02f35d834e538db457f3584d7526f423.jpeg

pals one ..finished up a tidy afternoon with good company ..

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rob58 said:

Would have loved that dark cape Rich

Moulting Rob , hairs coming out in handfuls , there’s quite a few melanistic about at the moment I’m bound to get another later in the year I’ll save it for you ...?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rabid said:

Was a cracking afternoon mate, really enjoyed it and good to catch up with the pair of you ?

Pity you wasn’t out today we knocked 11 over ..six this morning we’re you were and five tonight over the other place ..

53 minutes ago, scraggoak said:

Well Done Sussex, glad you got him a beast, it made his journey worthwhile, i must do better. cheers Geoff.

If we both had a pound for every time I’ve blanked we wouldn’t have to work ....?