Sad to kill rabbits anymore.

I've saw a lot changes in rabbit numbers by me over the years there's places I used to lamp years ago where off a couple of fields you'd be guaranteed a half a dozen if not more now you'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 think the rabbits are there just not in abundance I've got places I don't really bother with bunnies just leave them be and go there high ways and holidays ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'v not been on here for years but just wanted to see how bad it really is everywhere concerning the collapse of rabbit numbers. 8-9 years ago a friend who works on a big farm estate on the Herts

Sometimes hunters also have to stand up and take responsibility for the decline in numbers, can only kill them once and kill them all and they’ll never fully recover. 

Riflemen with IR scopes and better suppressors, summer hunting, myximatosis, RHVD, cats, foxes, intensive farming with pesticides, pollutants and taking out hedgerows (along with the warrens), taking

Posted Images

I have places with full perm a few years ago I could get good numbers most nights or ferreting not now I'm lucky to see half a dozen on one place I go next door always held good numbers the keeper old Richard rip always turned a blind eye on the understanding i never went near on a Tues or Fri (and never run any hares  )as they shot wed and sat I had good numbers of there and he let me manage the local deer population but   when I could go on an ferret  I had good sport and he always got a bottle of whisky and chocolates at Xmas even after he retired but his predecessor is a cnut and isn't half the country man old dick was in sure he has rifled them 

On 01/11/2018 at 22:47, blackmaggie said:

I have places with full perm a few years ago I could get good numbers most nights or ferreting not now I'm lucky to see half a dozen on one place I go next door always held good numbers the keeper old Richard rip always turned a blind eye on the understanding i never went near on a Tues or Fri (and never run any hares  )as they shot wed and sat I had good numbers of there and he let me manage the local deer population but   when I could go on an ferret  I had good sport and he always got a bottle of whisky and chocolates at Xmas even after he retired but his predecessor is a cnut and isn't half the country man old dick was in sure he has rifled them 

ive done bit of beating in my time, prob only me at that  time kept/worked lurchers , and the other beaters were either had gundogs them selves or there were riflemen . now  any lamping was always given to the riflemen 1st, gundog blokes, 2nd and me 3rd , now this is me doing 4-5 seasons on the bounce, it never changed with the keeper and it was very similar that other shoots i did beating at not just this keeper .The bottom line is this lurchers are not liked on any ground, yes you get the odd keeper give you the odd night lamping, but like above most stuff been shot to fook by then, it been like this when i started with lurchers 34 years ago and its not changed and it never will, more so with this bloody ban we got not helping either . One thing always amazes me on these sites, is that people are still  breeding litter's of pups every year, with less stuff on he ground  to run a lurcher , it dont matter if your legal or not , because if they not much there to begin with , your wasting your time anyway . i like lurchers as dog even if just pet , there healthy , fair brain on them, not over the top to buy , compared to ped dogs , and nice companion to have with you. the rescue centers are full of them waiting to die in there , maybe in time people  might stop breeding so many , when they realize  there not the amount of game there like there was 15-30 years ago .!!

• Like 7

Ive been round all my permissions i like to wait till after the harvest and there's mixed results  , some saying there's a good few and others  saying im hardly seeing any , a pain in the behind as seeing a good amount of rabbits at work i took the ferrets back up to 12 with four kits to start this year , ive had a couple of days out local and stopped at 6 mainly because of the cover but also my lurcher got a bad cut off a fence so back to playing the waiting came and see what happens when if the cover does die back 

35 minutes ago, bird said:

ive done bit of beating in my time, prob only me at that  time kept/worked lurchers , and the other beaters were either had gundogs them selves or there were riflemen . now  any lamping was always given to the riflemen 1st, gundog blokes, 2nd and me 3rd , now this is me doing 4-5 seasons on the bounce, it never changed with the keeper and it was very similar that other shoots i did beating at not just this keeper .The bottom line is this lurchers are not liked on any ground, yes you get the odd keeper give you the odd night lamping, but like above most stuff been shot to fook by then, it been like this when i started with lurchers 34 years ago and its not changed and it never will, more so with this bloody ban we got not helping either . One thing always amazes me on these sites, is that people are still  breeding litter's of pups every year, with less stuff on he ground  to run a lurcher , it dont matter if your legal or not , because if they not much there to begin with , your wasting your time anyway . i like lurchers as dog even if just pet , there healthy , fair brain on them, not over the top to buy , compared to ped dogs , and nice companion to have with you. the rescue centers are full of them waiting to die in there , maybe in time people  might stop breeding so many , when they realize  there not the amount of game there like there was 15-30 years ago .!!

Nothing's changed ray I been beating the same place for years and helping wi the birds all was going well wi getting on wi the dogs when some bright spark mention to the owner that me dogs may have seen a deer once 

Not a look in after that it's the last year this season we bin kicked off ??

53 minutes ago, The one said:

Ive been round all my permissions i like to wait till after the harvest and there's mixed results  , some saying there's a good few and others  saying im hardly seeing any , a pain in the behind as seeing a good amount of rabbits at work i took the ferrets back up to 12 with four kits to start this year , ive had a couple of days out local and stopped at 6 mainly because of the cover but also my lurcher got a bad cut off a fence so back to playing the waiting came and see what happens when if the cover does die back 

I’m the only one in a team of four that runs a lurcher now ray when we started out together we all had lurchers and a handful of terriers each but the work just isn’t there for them anymore, rabbit numbers are down and the foxes have been absolutely hammered by the rifle lads. I’ve bred a few litters of Lurchers in the past (3 in total) but won’t be breeding anymore.

3 hours ago, Black neck said:

Nothing's changed ray I been beating the same place for years and helping wi the birds all was going well wi getting on wi the dogs when some bright spark mention to the owner that me dogs may have seen a deer once 

Horrible jealous c**ts

5 hours ago, Black neck said:

Iv'e just picked up 8000 acres that's a shoot for terrier work but i'm welcome to take my lurcher when out with the terriers and once the shootings over i can do what i want with it,i have the same on all my shoots i go on and the reason i can't go out lamping till the shootings done is partridges.Your'll mess up a drive by running a dog over it the night before a shoot and i totaly understand and if i were a keeper i'd be the same.My local farmer/keeper got run to death by the coursers last year and he was a little funny with me but after i chased 2 lots off he understood we ain't all in it together and has been cool with me since.As for catching rabbits i have caught 2 in the last 3 years with my lurcher and one of them had mixi ?...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bird said:

Ray yas a levelled headed fella decant sort ,that post his damn right it's allways been that way over forty yrs ago was same I got stopped regular on estates has a thirteen yr old wandering with my alsation xs ,I see it like this young guns and some of us other want a jukel that puts a variety of game plus teeth away .we close with a bull xs herding types are very rare these days to fit that bill the mix can be difficult at times ,but this I believe the alsation the malli types X send with a terrier combination will keep lots a young guns happy even the coursing dog xs will keep the bunny bashes happy .i said this before I real lurcher man has your self day has these thoughts of rescues etc had em myself ,these places those needing the coney dogs coupled with family dog just ta potter about with can pass muster few the lads got em .but here's the catch .no breed his exempt staffies hundreds in rescues thousands still bred ,there has to be outlets for them ,I believe the lurcher jukel the staffies are victims of there own popularity ,it will allYs be what be and rescues have now been businesses run places for yrs ,I  toying with breeding my last jukel for myself next yr ,it will in all probability be my last I know what I need just mainly a night time jukel maybey  abit of mooching ,not necessary I like to mooch with the grandsons whippet collie weekends bonding thing more than all out pestcontroll fun dog so if. I keep waiting the bitch don't get pumped do I wait on the malli xes all a quandary the upside of waiting on the malli his I don't need bring one in for another season or two the downside could by not breeding be missing the chance of my love of the alsation xs die away ,who knows I certainly don't it's one a them decisions that will sort itself  lol. Atb bill

14 minutes ago, fireman said:

Iv'e just picked up 8000 acres that's a shoot for terrier work but i'm welcome to take my lurcher when out with the terriers and once the shootings over i can do what i want with it,i have the same on all my shoots i go on and the reason i can't go out lamping till the shootings done is partridges.Your'll mess up a drive by running a dog over it the night before a shoot and i totaly understand and if i were a keeper i'd be the same.My local farmer/keeper got run to death by the coursers last year and he was a little funny with me but after i chased 2 lots off he understood we ain't all in it together and has been cool with me since.As for catching rabbits i have caught 2 in the last 3 years with my lurcher and one of them had mixi ?...

I know adzactly what yas saying fireman only last season season I got invite keeper and old friend bit coney bashing nighttime ,old jaz took to a lake for a duck then on a  further on large covet of partridge he yelled has I wax in range for them to be disturbed but jaz reall well controlled they sat tight no disturbance , another not sprained jukel could have got one in a spot of bother or no return invite ,but hey. There yas go atbbill.

• Like 1