Two pups?

Hi lads, what are your thoughts on having two pups on the go at the same time? 

The reason I ask is because a pup is available, same grand sire as my other pup and his mother is from a very strong line.

I have the time to give the two pups but ask as a novice, should I focus on one pup?

thanks

100 % mate, if it dont work it with 1 pup, well atleast  you know you given it 100% of your attention , where as 2 pups you always think if i had only 1 pup , it might have been better outcome. i had 2 lurcher brothers my old dog Bryn brother years ago, and it never really worked the 2 pups were bonding to each other and not me, so i got rid of the  other dog .  and Bryn came on great then .

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, bird said:

100 % mate, if it dont work it with 1 pup, well atleast  you know you given it 100% of your attention , where as 2 pups you always think if i had only 1 pup , it might have been better outcome. i had 2 lurcher brothers my old dog Bryn brother years ago, and it never really worked the 2 pups were bonding to each other and not me, so i got rid of the  other dog .  and Bryn came on great then .

Interesting what you said about the two pups bonding with each other more than you. I do worry that the pup is bonding more with my sheepdog than me. Any thoughts on that? 

Spend more time one on one with the pup ... make every meeting fun and rewarding ... no matter what the pup does don’t tell it off until you’ve got your bond ... plenty of one on one walks play time treats ... the pup will very quickly associate you with all things nice and will pick you over the other dog ......

• Like 4

it comes down to a hierarchy of Wants , two or three pups become a half or a third of the whole , they will separate themselves according to temperament 

what I want from raising a pup is uncompromising want for everything , so if a pup with a bigger temperament wants to hang round me more a lesser tempered one will have to give in that aspect

and so it goes on , what one wants the other has to disregard , they separate into equal but opposite desires, 

one pup becomes a more rounded animal in all aspects , it’s far easier to develop desire for anything with an uncompromising pup , his desire is right there at the top    

On 29/10/2018 at 09:37, socks said:

Spend more time one on one with the pup ... make every meeting fun and rewarding ... no matter what the pup does don’t tell it off until you’ve got your bond ... plenty of one on one walks play time treats ... the pup will very quickly associate you with all things nice and will pick you over the other dog ......

Good to see your taking things on board , 

An hours training is plenty for pups if you know what your doing ? the rest of the time their in runs, no crate 

If you know what your doing , you can watch development from one day to next,  a pup settled in his run can digest what it’s has just encountered, a pup put back into a stimulated environment can’t , 

stick round here long enough an you might learn a bit sucks 

8 hours ago, Casso said:

An hours training is plenty for pups if you know what your doing ? the rest of the time their in runs, no crate 

If you know what your doing , you can watch development from one day to next,  a pup settled in his run can digest what it’s has just encountered, a pup put back into a stimulated environment can’t , 

stick round here long enough an you might learn a bit sucks 

Nope I’m sure you said crate but I can’t be f****d to go and look for it ... if the day comes where I need to learn anything about dogs from you I will start keeping goldfish ???

• Like 1

The issue for a lot of newcomers like yourself to the working dog world is that dog takes on human like qualities, 

my first job when I came home from school was to take the dogs out for the auld lad , for an hour at most sometimes less, they were kept in a run and such was the life of most working dogs back then, rarely in the house and we didn’t sit and whisper kind words 

crates are a useful tool for management of pups, it prevents us from having to confront then for displaying  preydrive iand as you’ve recently discovered confronting a pup and trying to teach it right from wrong by discipline is a sure way to f**k up the retrieve but your learning 

you can’t keep a pup in a crate for that length of time Sucks  ,a run would be my go to for raising a pup , here’s something you need to know,  a dog learns by Contrast , so when he learns to contrast between the outside expression of hunting and inside relax and calm   He can learn to switch off quite happily in whatever environment you’ve chosen for him 

your recently acquired knowledge about not confronting pups shows a little of what I’ve been banging on about for some time , manage manage manage , so you don’t have to correct   Corrections at that age plough a deep furrow of negetive associations in a pups mind 

i hope you have better luck with your new stock and you’ve taken your mistakes on board , it can take time for lessons to be learnt but stick with the confusion and the answers will come or you can also drop the ego and pm me 

or you could always consult your canine psychology notes from your degree but I fear that’s another fantasy    ? ✌️?

Understand this , At the very basic core of every dog is a complete understanding of the predator/ prey polarity of everything in its environment , us ncluded , 

from cuddly toys , fluffy bunnies , woolly jumpers all have huge preyfull attraction to the dog , they attract the dogs emotional energy  

Humans  , load noises , dogs , strange objects in familiar places, owner aggression , fireworks , are on the high end of the predator scale , they cause the dog resistance and block a general feeling of flow

the dog isn’t thinking any of this shit, it’s feeling it , the very same as the desire for a good looking woman in a bikini walking past, attracts our predatory essence ,

whereas a large hairy man in a pair of speedos standing too close repels us,  depending on your persuasion of course, the body just acts on how an object makes it feel , the dog just acts on how an object makes it feel 

Edited by Casso
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

one pup will always come on better than the other, and you will put more into that one, and the other will suffer, if you don't do that, and you put more time into the backward pup the other will suffer, one pup at a time, you don't need two, you just want two, big mistake.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/11/2018 at 09:32, Casso said:

The issue for a lot of newcomers like yourself to the working dog world is that dog takes on human like qualities, 

my first job when I came home from school was to take the dogs out for the auld lad , for an hour at most sometimes less, they were kept in a run and such was the life of most working dogs back then, rarely in the house and we didn’t sit and whisper kind words 

crates are a useful tool for management of pups, it prevents us from having to confront then for displaying  preydrive iand as you’ve recently discovered confronting a pup and trying to teach it right from wrong by discipline is a sure way to f**k up the retrieve but your learning 

you can’t keep a pup in a crate for that length of time Sucks  ,a run would be my go to for raising a pup , here’s something you need to know,  a dog learns by Contrast , so when he learns to contrast between the outside expression of hunting and inside relax and calm   He can learn to switch off quite happily in whatever environment you’ve chosen for him 

your recently acquired knowledge about not confronting pups shows a little of what I’ve been banging on about for some time , manage manage manage , so you don’t have to correct   Corrections at that age plough a deep furrow of negetive associations in a pups mind 

i hope you have better luck with your new stock and you’ve taken your mistakes on board , it can take time for lessons to be learnt but stick with the confusion and the answers will come or you can also drop the ego and pm me 

or you could always consult your canine psychology notes from your degree but I fear that’s another fantasy    ? ✌️?

Understand this , At the very basic core of every dog is a complete understanding of the predator/ prey polarity of everything in its environment , us ncluded , 

from cuddly toys , fluffy bunnies , woolly jumpers all have huge preyfull attraction to the dog , they attract the dogs emotional energy  

Humans  , load noises , dogs , strange objects in familiar places, owner aggression , fireworks , are on the high end of the predator scale , they cause the dog resistance and block a general feeling of flow

the dog isn’t thinking any of this shit, it’s feeling it , the very same as the desire for a good looking woman in a bikini walking past, attracts our predatory essence ,

whereas a large hairy man in a pair of speedos standing too close repels us,  depending on your persuasion of course, the body just acts on how an object makes it feel , the dog just acts on how an object makes it feel 

That was a lot of paragraphs to talk a load of old bollox fair play ... do you actually have any working dogs as I’ve not seen a working dog post from you ... or are you the computer dog hunter I think you are .....

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/11/2018 at 09:32, Casso said:

Was a good little read that and made loads of sense. Fair play ?