New to the site/working dogs

I am thinking about getting a beddy whippet or beddy grey from what I have seen on the other forums. Plenty of walks and woods Near by to have a mooch with it  and hope to grab a few rabbits. Make my walks with my Airedale abit more fun! but would eventually like to get into abit of lamping/ferreting even ratting of a weekend! Would this be the right breeds dog or should I look at somthing else? Any advise is appreciated!

5 minutes ago, Al92mc said:

I am thinking about getting a beddy whippet or beddy grey from what I have seen on the other forums. Plenty of walks and woods Near by to have a mooch with it  and hope to grab a few rabbits. Make my walks with my Airedale abit more fun! but would eventually like to get into abit of lamping/ferreting even ratting of a weekend! Would this be the right breeds dog or should I look at somthing else? Any advise is appreciated!

Don't get anything with saluki blood in it :laugh:

• Like 1

I'd say a beddy whippet is a good little first time rabbiting companion.. easy to keep, can be a touch headstrong but get on top of them early and they are great little dogs...

Good luck 

• Like 1

nice 1/4 collie 3/4 grey, 25in 60lb there abouts, great for rabbits day/night,  very easy to train  more so than beddyx  , beddys xs can be more stubborn type dog, great when you get them right and nice size22-24 in, but if its your 1st lurcer  the above colli e x grey spot on  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bird said:

nice 1/4 collie 3/4 grey, 25in 60lb there abouts, great for rabbits day/night,  very easy to train  more so than beddyx  , beddys xs can be more stubborn type dog, great when you get them right and nice size22-24 in, but if its your 1st lurcer  the above colli e x grey spot on  

Fancy telling him that 

21 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Fancy telling him that 

if you  re member  i told you    i had a beddy x whippet x grey  it was my 1st lurcher  30 odd years ago , and it was a twat of dog  looking back very stubborn type dog ,  now collie x grey but  with only drop collie say 1/4 , deff make nice easy dogs to bring on, or even a bullx grey all my 3 bullxs were piss easy to train, and brought up right, as you know are good lurchers  , it like saluki xs  great hunting dogs got alot offer, but can test you hell of alot, no mate go for the easy option  always 1st deff .

8 hours ago, Al92mc said:

For bunnies get something with 3/4 or pure whippet or you'll be wanting for speed,you have the Airedale to back it up if you run into something else.Get a small terrier or terrier/whippet for the rats.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bird said:

if you  re member  i told you    i had a beddy x whippet x grey  it was my 1st lurcher  30 odd years ago , and it was a twat of dog  looking back very stubborn type dog ,  now collie x grey but  with only drop collie say 1/4 , deff make nice easy dogs to bring on, or even a bullx grey all my 3 bullxs were piss easy to train, and brought up right, as you know are good lurchers  , it like saluki xs  great hunting dogs got alot offer, but can test you hell of alot, no mate go for the easy option  always 1st deff .

Each to them own mucker if they was all like brin no problem but my collie x bitch was a bellend probably more to do wi me tho but put me off

13 hours ago, bird said:

A collie grey could definitely be a option! What are they like at home? Would be kennelled while am at work wouldn't want to be coming home to neighbors telling me my dog doesn't stop barking ?

22 minutes ago, Al92mc said:

A collie grey could definitely be a option! What are they like at home? Would be kennelled while am at work wouldn't want to be coming home to neighbors telling me my dog doesn't stop barking ?

How any dog behaves in a kennel depends on good genes and the pup being introduced to the kennel in the correct way: not just dumped there and left from day one and ignored. Dogs, being social animals, need company, and especially when they are young and feel more vulnerable. But getting a pup of sound temperament from sensible stock is the first thing. Then it is up to you to manage the pup's rearing and education so it doesn't see being kennelled as being abandoned where it feels it has to cry out for attention when your'e not there.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, skycat said:

How any dog behaves in a kennel depends on good genes and the pup being introduced to the kennel in the correct way: not just dumped there and left from day one and ignored. Dogs, being social animals, need company, and especially when they are young and feel more vulnerable. But getting a pup of sound temperament from sensible stock is the first thing. Then it is up to you to manage the pup's rearing and education so it doesn't see being kennelled as being abandoned where it feels it has to cry out for attention when your'e not there.

I asked the question because some dogs don't do Aswell as others when your not there! My Airedale is fine left alone but with the lurcher having half collie in it i wasn't sure? 

I've also heard of Airedales bawling all day left alone. So much depends on the individual's temperament and how you manage them. It is a mistake to think that every example of a particular breed will behave or react in the same way and whilst certain breed traits do exist, the whole animal is affected by its breeding. For example, some lines of Salukis are noticeably more aggressive than others, although dog to dog aggression is something Salukis are known for particularly when it comes to guarding their catch. Some lines of Collie are hyper and neurotic, sensibly-bred lines are not, though generally they do need more stimulation and interaction with their owners than some other breeds.

Lost my bed/whip/grey earlier this year ,more than happy with him so got same again but with a splash of collie in it...it's the most neurotic animal I've ever owned...scared of it's own shadow...if it wasn't for my daughter I think I'd have pts ...collie....never,ever again .no way

• Like 1
  • Haha 1