C02 rifle advice

Son wants a c02 rifle to go shooting on his friends farm , 

my options are give him my XL ratcatcher an get myself another 

or buy him a co2 rifle he doesn’t want a springer/break barrel lazy sod

his friend owns a rabbit destroyer?? which I had to google and is a smk so think I will stay away from them , I see the crosman 2260? Rabbit gun has poor reviews so any advice and I’ve tried the man up use your muscles route ! 

The real issue with Co2 is the fact that power is affected by temperature you are shooting in so plenty of zero checks needed. Not a problem if just plinking but it needs to be right for shooting quarry. Buy a pcp which is far better for what he wants.

Phil

• Like 2

My daughter's first rifle was an XS501 Rabbit Destroyer - I liked it, it was light, easy to operate but, the seals kept leaking. Only slowly but enough to get on my tits.

......... Overall, it was loads of fun.

Also, now and then, it would throw out 1 almighty shot - it put a .22 right out the back of a pigeon a couple of times but, I never managed to catch it misbehaving on the chrono.

As Phil says, a Co2 does have its limits but, personally, I think they're fine to hunt with as long as you're sensible with it.

If he really doesn't want a springer, have a look at the Victory CP2 - It seems to be getting some good reviews at the moment :thumbs:

What about him getting a smk pr900w pcp rifle. Only 180 brand new. I had a go with one and was shocked how good it was for the money. Light weight, multishot and wont take much filling. He could fill it with a cheap 40 quid Chinese stirrup pump and  then also free air and no temperature problems. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, tomburras said:

What about him getting a smk pr900w pcp rifle. Only 180 brand new. I had a go with one and was shocked how good it was for the money. Light weight, multishot and wont take much filling. He could fill it with a cheap 40 quid Chinese stirrup pump and  then also free air and no temperature problems. 

My issues with him having a pcp was fact I only see him fortnightly an if his mum couldn’t get to gunshop then he wouldn’t be able to shoot it. And the prices ? 

but hadn’t thought of a stirrup pump?

Lidl have them in too,and the 900 is a great suggestion ,U/D has 1 as does get results with it .He did a little report on here on it .Ive got the ratcatcher and its only rated at 6lb foot and lasts 20 to 25 shots tops so the Chinese pcp is a better option imho atb 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Lidl have them in too,and the 900 is a great suggestion ,U/D has 1 as does get results with it .He did a little report on here on it .Ive got the ratcatcher and its only rated at 6lb foot and lasts 20 to 25 shots tops so the Chinese pcp is a better option imho atb 

Really I got a xl an thought it was supposed to put out 8.5 ft lb  

?

Will have a look see if there’s any pumps left in week 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bigmac 97kt said:

SMK are getting a cracking name for them selfs now

not like the old days

He will be made up with it

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Yep he’s happy , he sent pic to his hunting buddy/school pal next thing he’s asking for a lift to the farm he’s staying overnight shooting it tomorrow ,??

His friend loaded it an shot the fence cross rail a good distance an was impressed with it

i will be even poorer due to this purchase as when I got back to my car someone had tried breaking into it an my door handles now in pieces? 

trip to the scrappy next weekend looks like .?