Rapid swelling and weeping of puss / blood...

Hello all,

just got back home aftr work to find that the second dog has come down with a rapid swelling on the nose with accompanying blistering, weeping of puss and blood. There was a small cut one day ago but no other visible signs this morning.

the other dog (the white one in the photos) developed a slight swelling on the bridge (no discolouration) which develped into what you can see within aprox. 24-36 hours. Only previous injury was a scracth or two around the mouth following an encounter in the woods where i work sometime last week...

off to the vets in an hour but would really appreciate any thoughts / advice etc. Been swabbing with salty water

Both seem pretty energetic, bit fussy about their food but still eating, . No visible lesions on their paws...

cheers all

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

Was wondering the same thing mate, hopefully not, I hear it's prevalent in damp wooded areas

That was my worry but the Forest has been so dry, even the normally boggy heathland isn’t that wet; also it seems that it’s more common on feet first- plus they’ve not shown any kidney problem signs like excessive water consumption and pissing all over more things than normal. Maybe I’m just trying to be optimistic or pessimistic as the Roy seems to act so fast that by the time blood tests have come back the danage to their kidneys is almost irreparable. The vet mentioned plasma transplants as an option if it were to go that far.

im hoping that it’s simply an allergic reaction as has also been suggested but it’s just the speed at which it’s changing that is worrying...

gonna do another 12 hours of saline swabs and see how it looks before going any further.

anyone had anything similar?

9 hours ago, Hamish.J.Cronan said:

That was my worry but the Forest has been so dry, even the normally boggy heathland isn’t that wet; also it seems that it’s more common on feet first- plus they’ve not shown any kidney problem signs like excessive water consumption and pissing all over more things than normal. Maybe I’m just trying to be optimistic or pessimistic as the Roy seems to act so fast that by the time blood tests have come back the danage to their kidneys is almost irreparable. The vet mentioned plasma transplants as an option if it were to go that far.

im hoping that it’s simply an allergic reaction as has also been suggested but it’s just the speed at which it’s changing that is worrying...

gonna do another 12 hours of saline swabs and see how it looks before going any further.

anyone had anything similar?

My own bitch had a similar looking wound on her hock the day after we'd been up on damp wooded areas, and Heather moorland, there was a lot of talk of Alabama rot going on at the time, so it was a shock to see on her something like the pictures were showning, it wasn't until I remembered that she'd been momentarily caught up in the top couple of strands of a loose forestry fence whilst jumping on the lead that I realised what had caused it. Hope it's something as simple for both of you mate, all the best

Looks like a bee sting, problem with bee stings is that after the pains wains, the sting itches like a b*****d for 3 days, first day it hurts, second it swells.   Its the scratching that takes the skin off due to the itch. Try dabbing it with salty water 4 times a day and see how you go. Not saying this is definitely the cause, but my GSD eats bees like cornflakes, and every now and then he meets his match. ?

iBy the look of the pictures of the dogs snouts, it might possibly have been caused by the dogs when at full speed running in the in the woods to have come into contact with bad bushes such as black thorn and heavy bramble cover, even sharp twigs and branches could cause punctures like those shown, seen dogs before with bad infections  from coming into contact with the things I have mentioned, just keep your eye on it and keep wounds well cleansed,maybe try abit of antibiotic wound powder.atb

• Like 1

Clean it out as rough as you can, don't be gentle or shy. Split a cefalaxin capsule (or similar rainbow spectrum antibiotic) and put the powder as deep into the wound as you can, repeat a few times a day. It will look minging until it dries out completely and starts to scab.