Wolfhound cross

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This dog I bred and raised.  He is the same family line of dog breed to a full wolfhound then crossed back to a stag hound.    He could burn a coyote down and really snuff the life from one quick.    

Being Australian iv had a lot of exposure to pig hunting my son has a fine hound with plenty of wolfhound blood hes a very capable pigdog. The woolly dog and white dog both are wolfhound xs

Posted Images

4 hours ago, stevemac said:

Im a big fan of wolfhound xs and have found them to be very good hunters with plenty of power to handle the job when required.

Yes they can be pretty good hunters.   Not very practical for small game but for the bigger game hunters, they are worth a look and consideration.     

• Like 1

I like that white brocken coated mut,,,,that pic of it running on the grass..it looks as long as a bus...agile pacey looking but with power....handsome dog ..

did you ever run it on jack rabbits or deer??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

I like that white brocken coated mut,,,,that pic of it running on the grass..it looks as long as a bus...agile pacey looking but with power....handsome dog ..

did you ever run it on jack rabbits or deer??

Never did.    Only thing other than pigs I allowed him to run was coyotes.    I didn't send him coyotes much because my focus is pigs.     Pigs I can flip and tie and then bring a trailer to them and load them in a trailer then untie them and sale them for 30 cents a pound plus a $10 head bonus.          Or I dispatch them with a long knife and take them home and feed them to the dogs.   My dogs diets consist mainly of pig.   Of course I'll BBQ a shoulder or hindquarter or ribs off a nice fat sow.        So nothing wasted and a little money to be made.   Coyotes bring nothing dead so I don't care to send the dogs to one and exhaust the dogs when i could be using that energy to catch and hold boar.  

• Like 9
16 hours ago, BlackStreak said:

Yes they can be pretty good hunters.   Not very practical for small game but for the bigger game hunters, they are worth a look and consideration.     

Being Australian iv had a lot of exposure to pig hunting my son has a fine hound with plenty of wolfhound blood hes a very capable pigdog. The woolly dog and white dog both are wolfhound xs

4251_1528703984586.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BlackStreak said:

Never did.    Only thing other than pigs I allowed him to run was coyotes.    I didn't send him coyotes much because my focus is pigs.     Pigs I can flip and tie and then bring a trailer to them and load them in a trailer then untie them and sale them for 30 cents a pound plus a $10 head bonus.          Or I dispatch them with a long knife and take them home and feed them to the dogs.   My dogs diets consist mainly of pig.   Of course I'll BBQ a shoulder or hindquarter or ribs off a nice fat sow.        So nothing wasted and a little money to be made.   Coyotes bring nothing dead so I don't care to send the dogs to one and exhaust the dogs when i could be using that energy to catch and hold boar.  

that's a shame ....although looks mean nothing in reality ....he did look the type that might put a few bends in on a hare ...and perhaps pull a few deer...

I'm also surprised theres no money in coyotes...thought there might be a bit for the pelt at the right time of year...and 30 cents don't seem much ...mind I suppose if they weigh 2-300 pounds it mounts up a bit....

anyway keep the pics coming and the descriptions of the dogs and your hunting exploits....a very intresting thread...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TOMO said:

that's a shame ....although looks mean nothing in reality ....he did look the type that might put a few bends in on a hare ...and perhaps pull a few deer...

I'm also surprised theres no money in coyotes...thought there might be a bit for the pelt at the right time of year...and 30 cents don't seem much ...mind I suppose if they weigh 2-300 pounds it mounts up a bit....

anyway keep the pics coming and the descriptions of the dogs and your hunting exploits....a very intresting thread...

Your right, 30 cents per pound isn't much but it it pays for the fun and then some.    A typical 200 pound boar will bring $60 plus the $10 head bonus which equals $70 for one run of the dog.   Trip is payed for and then some in just 1 run a lot of times.     Catch 3 or 4 more and you have made a a decent little check, all while just having fun and doing my little hobby.   What rabbit or coyote pays off like that or provides so much food for the dogs or you.     Plus the pigs proliferate pretty quickly and can be fairly destructive.    Pigs are my passion and my focus and breeding dogs that are more suited for running down and holding big boar than hare.         Running deer here in Texas with dogs is illegal plus even if it wasn't, your only allowed to hunt then a few months out of the year and only allowed 4 or 5 per season/year.   Heck I catch that many pigs in a night just playing around and not being serious.  Pigs here have no seasonal limits in which they can only be harvested nor is there any limit to how many you can kill daily or yearly.    So see the fun and economics and practical side of things choosing to hunt pig with a dog rather than a hare, deer, or coyote.   Makes sense to me, plus I absolutly love it.  

• Like 6

brill  that mate  , he doing well , what the bitches like, they as strong/tough  as the dogs , seem to be that the males are prefer d more than bitches, we had another USA hunter on here Dan  who hunted mainly yotes , and he said dogs were best, but when you get a good bitch  , you deff got a great animal .