coincidence?

talking to a chap this morning about hares dying of myxi.his theory is all the recent problem with hare coursing criminal damage. landowners being assaulted. get rid of the hares problem solved.has a strain been deliberately released?what do you think?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fred90 said:

talking to a chap this morning about hares dying of myxi.his theory is all the recent problem with hare coursing criminal damage. landowners being assaulted. get rid of the hares problem solved.has a strain been deliberately released?what do you think?

No, no one cares enough about hare coursing to fund a covert virology team. LOL

Virus's mutate and cross species naturally.

4 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

No, no one cares enough about hare coursing to fund a covert virology team. LOL

Virus's mutate and cross species naturally.

isn't that how bird flue started at the end of the great war...was a docu about it a few week back....they even new the first victim an American soldier

4 hours ago, fred90 said:

Easier and legal to just go out with a lamp and shoot them I would imaging if they were attracting that much unwanted attention, maybe we would have a better understanding of it if we were still out coursing, sure it would of flagged up sooner if we were ?

21 hours ago, fred90 said:

VERY unlikely!

8 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Where did mixi come from initially Born ?

Where do any virus's come from initially, they just evolve. It was first documented in imported laboratory rabbits in Uruguay. It's lethality was recognised as being useful for rabbit control and was then simply artificially released. I haven't seen any literature that shows it having been modified or created to enhance it's effect.

If it has jumped the species barrier, it's not surprising. Hopefully we can mitigate the impact. But given that myxi spread so fast due to the burrowing nature of rabbits, it may have a harder time spreading through hares that have much less contact with each other.

Fundamentally agriculture is the hares biggest threat. This will just be another straw on the camels back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in east anglia , I know several landowners farmers and Keepers 

not one of those lads have even seen a hare being coursed by an organised criminal gang for a few years 

it’s all nonsense , hammer the police on twitter and the stories slowly start coming apart 

13 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Anyone wanting to wipe out a species just to keep Lads off the land are Fooking idiots .

Bring back hunting in all its glory.

Try put back some respect into folk re the countryside and all the flaura and fauna .

Hammer those driving land illegally dish out heavy jail time for those doing so then using violence when challenged .

And get the countryside managed by those that know and understand it as it once was.

Everything in GB seems to have gone to shit since the ban on many fronts.

So your seriously saying lads that drive land should be jailed For killing big rabbits ? 

26 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I live in east anglia , I know several landowners farmers and Keepers 

not one of those lads have even seen a hare being coursed by an organised criminal gang for a few years 

it’s all nonsense , hammer the police on twitter and the stories slowly start coming apart 

I dunno what the definition of 'organised criminal gangs' is but if you're meaning just 4x4s driving fields tipping dogs out on hares then come to lincs and look at any field. Last season I saw three different lots of lads out driving fields in the same day on the same land. Loads of others through the season and shit loads of fields with the characteristic 4x4 tramlines around the circumference.

It happens shit loads but it's impact on hare conservation nationally is most likely negligible which I'd agree is propaganda.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Just because we can't prove the likes of mixi wasn't lab created don't think it couldn't be .

Well of course but we generally operate under the principle that if you can't provide evidence for an accusation, then it's without credibility. The burden of proof should never be on the accused. Pretending that scientists have done any of this for any political reason is totally without evidence.

49 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Even if it was natural it should of been nipped in the bud not spread around the world .

Like you Max, I'm not a fan of such examples of biological warfare. But equally neither of us were farmers back when rabbits were at their most problematic.