So I’ve just had a phone call from the lady who owns the land we rent for our shoot, apparently the keeper off next doors shoot has just been seen dogging birds off our field, now I’m not saying these are all our birds and I know they wander a bit and we get some of there’s and they get some of ours, that’s just how it is, but to dog them on land that is not yours is just taking the piss, I now have to go and explain to him that he’s in the wrong and how would he like it if I go and push his wood through that’s on our boundary, I feel I might also have to have a word with the lad they rent there shoot from as he farms our shoots land and we I do a bit of rabbit control for him, maybe he can also point out the errors in this chancers ways ?

Edited by Stavross

It’s a problem that is experienced by shoots that neighbor each other. It’s more than a bit cheeky on his part and is to my mind an indication of desperation. If the birds don’t know where home is now they never will . I would have a word with him first . I’ve had it with farmers who put feeders out to pull my birds and don’t put any down , they are millionaires and try to get a bit of cheap shooting, that really boils my piss . They soon found it was expensive replacing their feeders and would probably be cheaper to buy a day . Keep an eye on it and don’t go in guns blazing, I always find it’s better to have a chat . 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

It’s a problem that is experienced by shoots that neighbor each other. It’s more than a bit cheeky on his part and is to my mind an indication of desperation. If the birds don’t know where home is now they never will . I would have a word with him first . I’ve had it with farmers who put feeders out to pull my birds and don’t put any down , they are millionaires and try to get a bit of cheap shooting, that really boils my piss . They soon found it was expensive replacing their feeders and would probably be cheaper to buy a day . Keep an eye on it and don’t go in guns blazing, I always find it’s better to have a chat . 

It’s a problem that we have never had before as it’s an agreement between the two shoots that we stay off each other’s shoot, we both have to walk through each other’s land to get to a couple of drives, now this chap is on his first season with next door, so I will take it that he doesn’t understand the rules, the shoot captain is going to go and have a word today as he said he is more diplomatic than me, I don’t know what he means by that

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, smithie said:

Can you not just push em back?  He takes yours and you push em back he might end up with less than he started with

We could go on forever tit for tat, pushing each other’s birds about, what bothers me is if he is doing it the night before a shoot day or on the morning, we tend to shoot on different days so we are not falling over each other and the birds are not getting it from all angles also after the day hopefully the birds will wander back home if we shoot different days

20 minutes ago, Stavross said:

It’s a problem that we have never had before as it’s an agreement between the two shoots that we stay off each other’s shoot, we both have to walk through each other’s land to get to a couple of drives, now this chap is on his first season with next door, so I will take it that he doesn’t understand the rules, the shoot captain is going to go and have a word today as he said he is more diplomatic than me, I don’t know what he means by that

he knows full well what he is doing .tell him to stop  doing it ,he will say  they are my birds  ,, you say  fk off  they are on my land   my birds .

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, riohog said:

he knows full well what he is doing .tell him to stop  doing it ,he will say  they are my birds  ,, you say  fk off  they are on my land   my birds .

I have no doubt he knows what he is doing and he needs to stop it. The lad that owns there land will not be happy with him as the last thing he wants is the shoot upsetting our landlady with him farming the land 

• Like 1

Well the farmer who owns the land that next doors shoot is on has had a word with the keeper and told him he has to stay off our land and had to go and apologise to the lady who we rent from, so he has been to see her, apologised and proceeded to tell her he was moving them off her field because they were pulling all the wheat out, now this lady has been farming for over 50 years, so she verbally ripped him a new one, he really should  of asked his landlord who she is instead of just assuming she was just a silly old woman 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

This sort of situation is often a bit of an issue. 

Just the same you don't go running after your birds all over the countryside, you work to keep them on your drives, do your job well and you will attract other birds as well, not lose them! 

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Stavross said:

It just goes to show he hasn’t done a very good job this year as a lot of his have made their way into the back drive on our shoot, that may be the first drive on Saturday ?

I have a landfill site near me, must be ten miles from any shoot and it's full of the things if he,s stuck, I even put a load of poult,s up in there last week when I was putting some cameras in, 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Greyman said:

I have a landfill site near me, must be ten miles from any shoot and it's full of the things if he,s stuck, I even put a load of poult,s up in there last week when I was putting some cameras in, 

Ha ha, I’ll let him know, if I tell him he will probably say they are his and they have just wandered a bit further 

On 19/10/2018 at 21:52, shovel leaner said:

It’s a problem that is experienced by shoots that neighbor each other. It’s more than a bit cheeky on his part and is to my mind an indication of desperation. If the birds don’t know where home is now they never will 

Ain't that kinda a missed point here. Smashing a spaniel through a boundary hedge just sends everyone's birds home, not so much 'rehome' them. Right?

I know it's cheeky but if it is just a boundary then frankly it's free dogging in. LOL