So warm.

5 hours ago, Meece said:

Can't stand the cold. I'll take the desert anyday.

In the last six-eight weeks we've gone from 50ºC down to -5ºC last night. A/C to log burner. The Mojave is a big test on your system. It hammers the wiring in your vehicles and electric faults are common in older cars. It cracks washer bottles and water lines too and you don't usually notice those, if you're unaware, until you need them. Rainfall is infrequent but when it comes down it can close an entire motorway. A few years ago the I-15 between me and Las Vegas was washed away during the monsoon seasonal flash floods. There is only one other way in from here and it added another 5 hours to the 3 hour journey due to the entire motorway being diverted. Imagine the M6 disappearing and having to send all that traffic via the A Roads.

5 hours ago, Meece said:

Q. how do you know when you've got to much snow?

BabySnowboard.jpg.9cd8e5c94ec2b26c67d30279def8bb7a.jpg

6 hours ago, Meece said:

I used to post to a bloke in Maine. All summer he cut, hauled and split trees for winter logs non stop. What a bind and in the winter the snow was DEEP. Not my idea of a fun life.

We're not too bad to be honest. I live at 5200 feet and we can get around fairly easily once the snow stops and the ploughs can catch up. This time of year I carry basic recovery gear and for the most it's fine but a few years ago I hit a deer in the truck and it blew out both of my front tires. I only had one spare and my work phone had no signal because of the storm so I ended up hiking home in the snow. Not that I had a chance of being recovered even if I could get through to the breakdown company. If you've got an ounce of common sense carrying winter gear is automatic. Food, water, warm clothes, sleeping bag, etc but the amount of people that only carry a mobile and not even a charger for it is surprising. I bank on spending at least 5 nights a season in town because the the ploughs can't keep up with removing the snow while the storm rages. The quality and accuracy of the weather reports are high here and my company mobile has a radar app that shows the weather coming in in real time. This is a still considered a desert too so be careful what you wish for! :laugh:

The desert is two faced. Burning hot in the day and freezing cold at night. A friend went to Ayers rock on a tour to see the colours of the rocks at sunset. When they arrived during the day it was 40c. And the crew were handing out blankets. My friend asked why. The crew said that it got a bit chilly. Chilly !!! The guide wasn't joking.  Within half an hour the sundown had gone and the temp had fallen to minus   numbers. People were standing shivering with their teeth chattering.

Edited by Meece