Tropical fish forums

10 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

thanks SHH,,i will show the lads this ,they are doing their own thing with the fish and i try not to interfere..are the dwarf american cichlids good with plattys?the dam tetras ate and stripped own a few plants we had too,,we are finding it very hard to find a supplier of decent plants ,,they are all stalk like types they have for sale here ,,and poor examples too 

You won't get a better one mate, they're bossy when breeding

4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

The main plant in my tank is called Java ferns, you just attach them to a bit of bog wood with an elastic band and they root to it, I have to rip out clumps of it regularly it's so prolific in there, most plants sold in pet shops will die especially ones with red leaves 

Dark green are hardiest type normally

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

A water change will kill them, look at old tank syndrome. 

I can and do do a water change without fatality,s but it just does,nt need it as the balance of fish plants and filtration keep it as near to natural as I can get, when the muck in the bottom gets a bit deep I syphon off half to three quarters and refill from the tap no problem but this only needs doing every 2/3 years 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, j j m said:

ive been on one for years,but its that long since ive been on it ive forgot the name of it ,great site with top members

Try harder jjm lol...if you get the name let me know please

had a new addition today ,,RED CLAW CRABS  ,the 2 lads went out and bought a few plants ,new bog wood and 2 friggin crabs ,lol..its starting to look a bit better now i must admit ..all practice for the big tank in a few months 

24 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

had a new addition today ,,RED CLAW CRABS  ,the 2 lads went out and bought a few plants ,new bog wood and 2 friggin crabs ,lol..its starting to look a bit better now i must admit ..all practice for the big tank in a few months 

You won't be able to get any cleaners or bottom dwellers ... They'll probably eat the corys mate

I will pass the info on...pointless having them in there i thought.they put in a piece of cooked broccoli last night and the whole community fed off of it till the crabs ran off with it

Edited by jigsaw

The Red-clawed Crab is a small, colourful, semi-aquatic brackish species that is known from estuarine and mangrove habitats across Asia. It's home waters are relatively shallow and warm with a sandy substrate, and there are plenty of roots and other structures for the crabs to climb up on to bask out of the water. Red-clawed Crabs require a paludarium or an aquarium that has a dropped water level with decor extending above the water line. These crabs are not fully aquatic, and absolutely MUST have an area where they can climb free of the water. The land area should be sandy with plenty of roots and rocky caves (which make excellent hiding places when the crabs are moulting), and the water area should be heated and filtered as normal. A tight fitting lid is essential and be sure to block all holes where equipment feeds into the tank, as these crabs are great escape artists. Regular partial water changes should be carried out on the water area as you would do in an aquarium, in order to keep nitrate at a minimum. Best kept in a species-tank environment, although some aquarists have success keeping them alongside small, fast-swimming, peaceful brackish-water fish. Bear in mind, though, that Red-clawed Crabs will hunt small fish, so avoid any slow bottom-dwellers. Keep only one male with several females unless the tank is particularly spacious as males are very territorial. This species is fascinating to keep and observe, but they do require an environment carefully designed around their needs.

Took that from maidenheads website, you'd think that they'd have a duty of care almost but it appears not