Digging bars

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I prefer this over a bar or the sharptooth and i live in chalk and flint country and also dig pretty much everyday for a living.Good quality graft head with a length of 2"gas pipe welded over it.

Digging bars or T-pieces? They do two different jobs. A good pinch bar does the job for digging tough ground, but I reckon if you had a roundmouth, a sharp tooth and a long handled graft there's not m

Had this bar cut in 2 threaded and welded an axe head on by local engineering firm. Fits nicely on the back of the bike and is there if needed. Thinking about having another piece made that has a t-ha

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, shaneg said:

I’d be the same heavy graft all day before the sharptooth.has anyone put a heavy onto the sharptooth. I’m thinking of cutting mine and doing it 

I wouldn't say that's the job they're for though Shane, they're to stamp on and break up ground whereas a long handled graft is to keep the sides nice and straight. I wouldn't like to think someone was bashing around with a long fork where my feet are. lol

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I wouldn't say that's the job they're for though Shane, they're to stamp on and break up ground whereas a long handled graft is to keep the sides nice and straight. I wouldn't like to think someone was bashing around with a long fork where my feet are. lol

I no what ur saying but I just reckon they would shift a lot more ground a lot quicker than the sharptooth. Personally I don’t like the sharptooth if I broke mine in the morning I wouldn’t buy a new one 

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

What is it you don't like about them mate? I've only ever heard good about them tbh.

I just find the heavy graft far better than the sharptooth in the ground I work. There’s only one or 2 places we dig that the sharptooth performs better than the graft 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, shaneg said:

I just find the heavy graft far better than the sharptooth in the ground I work. There’s only one or 2 places we dig that the sharptooth performs better than the graft 

I think they’re for two different jobs. Heavy graft for keeping the sides square in stiff ground and chopping roots, whereas the sharp tooth is handy in the middle of the dig especially in stoney ground, looks like it isn’t doing much but breaks a good 6 inch of ground for the shovel. Like you said, it all depends on the ground your digging. I would have been lost without both of them this morning.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rob284 said:

I think they’re for two different jobs. Heavy graft for keeping the sides square in stiff ground and chopping roots, whereas the sharp tooth is handy in the middle of the dig especially in stoney ground, looks like it isn’t doing much but breaks a good 6 inch of ground for the shovel. Like you said, it all depends on the ground your digging. I would have been lost without both of them this morning.

I’ve been in different places around the country and the sharptooth worked grand it’s just the land I work it’s no real advantage to me

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, shaneg said:

I’ve been in different places around the country and the sharptooth worked grand it’s just the land I work it’s no real advantage to me

We’re pretty much the same Shane it’s all soil, sand or peat round here 90% of digs you’ll get away with a graft and a couple of shovels but there is a few deeper places we do that ye hit a vein of shale and that’s where the sharptooth comes into its own imo.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

We’re pretty much the same Shane it’s all soil, sand or peat round here 90% of digs you’ll get away with a graft and a couple of shovels but there is a few deeper places we do that ye hit a vein of shale and that’s where the sharptooth comes into its own imo.

That’s exactly what our ground is like. It’s always in the Jeep but only brought in as we need it 

• Like 2
On 13/10/2018 at 17:02, shaneg said:

That’s exactly what our ground is like. It’s always in the Jeep but only brought in as we need it 

Soil earths are still rock hard here, a 3 or 4 footer can be tough enough going and when we’re breaking it up it just turns to dust, can be risky for a terrier as well.

On 13/10/2018 at 14:04, shaneg said:

I’d be the same heavy graft all day before the sharptooth.has anyone put a heavy onto the sharptooth. I’m thinking of cutting mine and doing it 

i find the sharptooth too light aswell...would work better with a bit of weight behind it

1 hour ago, Rat face said:

I think a lot of lads now are putting the sharptooth on to long bars. Depends what kind of terrier work you do. Some lads that travel a lot on foot just have to make do with a round mouth and that's it. 

I think the lad who makes them makes a long shaft one now. 

• Like 1