Digging bars

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I prefer this over a bar or the sharptooth and i live in chalk and flint country and also dig pretty much everyday for a living.Good quality graft head with a length of 2"gas pipe welded over it.

Digging bars or T-pieces? They do two different jobs. A good pinch bar does the job for digging tough ground, but I reckon if you had a roundmouth, a sharp tooth and a long handled graft there's not m

Had this bar cut in 2 threaded and welded an axe head on by local engineering firm. Fits nicely on the back of the bike and is there if needed. Thinking about having another piece made that has a t-ha

Posted Images

I've a sprong from a horse drawn tumbling rake.( for turning hay) I seen it when I was working in a farmers yard one day and asked him for hit. I had to endure the story of  why the first one broke and the who and where the blacksmith was when he forged it 60 years ago to replace it before he gave it to me.? It's a lovely bar 3foot 6inch with a curl on top which makes it also act as a walking stick. I always bring it on walks with dogs and it has helped me root out many dogs that accidentally drop in on walks. I've dug a dog at 4 feet deep with only the bar. My father also had one until my brother the big ape broke it swinging out of it ? Never liked T bars they always stick in your hip when walking.

IMG_0438.JPG

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Digging bars or T-pieces? They do two different jobs. A good pinch bar does the job for digging tough ground, but I reckon if you had a roundmouth, a sharp tooth and a long handled graft there's not many places that you couldn't tackle without the need for a bar.

If the locator goes wallop then that probe bar is plan B and becomes the most important bit of kit that you have. I've seen battery's go dead and the question after the dog is dropped! Did you turn on the collar! No I thought you already did. Doesn't happen often but can happen. I can see it been over used too and lads stabbing dogs accidentally and putting pressure on game Unnessecarily and dog ends up under pressure. If you drop a solid dog then it's just mark and dig but with pups or watery dogs that you dig and there is no game then it helps. Break down on a 3 or 4 way junction and pipes get filled in then have a prod to see where tubes are. I wish I didn't need one but unfortunately all dogs aren't solid and it can get messy if you have a dog that you had high hopes for that turns into a crock of sh1t. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, rob284 said:

Welded a 6ft solid inch bar to a graft head and it will shift any ground. Carrying it is torture but it’s often worth it and can half the time at a dig.?

That’s what I use all the time I wouldn’t go without one. Heavy to carry but definitely saves time when digging 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, rob284 said:

Welded a 6ft solid inch bar to a graft head and it will shift any ground. Carrying it is torture but it’s often worth it and can half the time at a dig.?

I have one of them too and they are great job in hard ground. They are good for giving you a hernia too ???

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rat face said:

Shovel bars are mint  one lad keeping the sides straight an braking the ground up and the other spooning out.... I prefer them to a sharptooth if I'm honest. 

I’d be the same heavy graft all day before the sharptooth.has anyone put a heavy onto the sharptooth. I’m thinking of cutting mine and doing it