Galgos vs our stock

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They do alright over here.?

Pure salukis were ran against the galagos in there country and beat them on every course bar one, our coursing bred dogs are far better than pure Salukis so I’d say our stock would be in a different l

Here we go ,  cause some one has one , it’s the next secret squirrel best type  like malamutes, gsps, mallnois , gsds, nudge nudge wink wink  if galgos were any good , people would have

Posted Images

20 hours ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

The saluki coursing club in this country got an invitation from the Portuguese galgo club to run against them in an experimental trail, 6 salukis went over there and one of them was a veteran. Think it was around 16 years ago a couple of years before the ban in this country.  I read about it in a book by Sir Terrance Clark called the Salukis in my life. The pure Salukis were also faster out of the slips than the galagos 

Run my bitch with a pure and a heavy blooded dog and she was quicker than either. If you didn't know her true ancestry you'd think she was an up and at em type of saluki lurcher in style and having a little extra in the tank if things drag on a bit.

As I say read a lot in books but believe with a pinch of salt. They have salukis in Spain too ?

Edited by sandymere

I've seen them run in the comps here, I've seen them run in the mountains and I've seen them run in the park. Like I said imo I'd put a straight sal or grey above them. Not knocking them, just not my cup of tea and I believe there's better out there. This is why most here won't run their galgos against other breeds.

As for hare videos being mostly galgos. That's because not only is it legal here, but aired on national telly, as a national sport ;)

Tbh it's a shame that the bad dogmen here, give them all a bad name in the public eye. If this keeps up I fear it won't be long before Spain is facing a similar question to what we had, about banning it! :cry:

3 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I've seen them run in the comps here, I've seen them run in the mountains and I've seen them run in the park. Like I said imo I'd put a straight sal or grey above them. Not knocking them, just not my cup of tea and I believe there's better out there. This is why most here won't run their galgos against other breeds.

As for hare videos being mostly galgos. That's because not only is it legal here, but aired on national telly, as a national sport ;)

Tbh it's a shame that the bad dogmen here, give them all a bad name in the public eye. If this keeps up I fear it won't be long before Spain is facing a similar question to what we had, about banning it! :cry:

A pure greyhound?, I've owned and run a few and none would have managed what this bitch has done Mush.  I'd not claim my galgo is better than a good coursing type but a pure greyhound is a spectacular accidents waiting to happen.

Ps Have you run your dog against them yet.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sandymere said:

A pure greyhound?, I've owned and run a few and none would have managed what this bitch has done Mush.  I'd not claim my galgo is better than a good coursing type but a pure greyhound is a spectacular accidents waiting to happen.

Ps Have you run your dog against them yet.

Nope mate. No one will take me up :laugh: If you know anyone over here, bob over and we can make a holiday out of it ;)

Really closed here. Although I'm bobbing over to see Alectoris soon, he'll get run but I doubt it'll be against a galgo, more than likely solo ;)

I agree with the grey being an accident waiting to happen, I'm referring to speed over a galgo. There was a video of someone over here running a sal against a galgo on YouTube at one point, can't find it now.

5 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

The reason coursing was banned is down to egos and gambling   nothing else nothing wrong with killing for the pot   ☠️  pure poison 

Over here, a ban will because of the few treating their dogs like shit mate. I see so many rescue galgos everyday, it's ridiculous. All have some sob story told by their new fur mummy about how the dog was beaten etc. How much of it is true, is difficult to gauge.

You see most limping about though, so they could be injury prone as a breed or maybe there is a lot of shit out there. Who knows what is true ;)

Sandycrack, how old is your galgslow ? Ive got a 15 month old pure saluki pup here, wouldn’t mind a day out to compare them against each other in a few months if your up for it, I honestly can’t work out off them videos if the hares over there are flying machines or that the dogs arnt that fast, even thow the dogs do look fast and have the same running action of a greyhound 

If I could roam the big land like that on horse back I would be slipping big like that too , most of the land here is no where big as that only thing I would say about the galgo from what I have seen only on internet is that when they do make ground and get close they have no control of the hare few over kill on turns and the hares gone , a good dog sits behind a hare on big land watching it breaks the hare down slows it down and moves in on the kill (smaller land you want it to take it out fast ) the galgo seem to run very much like the greyhounds fast over killing the turns not tactical just raw speed . 

Edited by Westyorkshire_lad

Slipping a dog to catch a hare isn't coursing,it's catching a hare with a dog.Coursing is a duel between two running dogs on a points basis,so to see which one is better at coursing you need to slip them and score them.You lot seem to be telling each other which ones are the better hare catchers/killers...

• Like 1

Here we go , 

cause some one has one , it’s the next secret squirrel best type 

like malamutes, gsps, mallnois , gsds, nudge nudge wink wink 

if galgos were any good , people would have them. 

I can name twenty coursing dogs that would stick every galgo in the world up it’s arse ten days a week 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"On Hunting Hares" in 124 AD. He tells his readers that the purpose of coursing is not to catch the hare, but to enjoy the chase itself: "The true sportsman does not take out his dogs to destroy the hares, but for the sake of the course and the contest between the dogs and the hares, and is glad if the hares escape." Concerned about proper sportsmanship, he adds, "Whoever courses with greyhounds should neither slip them near the hare, nor more than a brace (2) at a time." In between wars and butchery I think the Greeks n Romans had seen enough killing when they decided on the rules  of coursing  which lasted  many yrs , now  we have killing  of the hare  which ain’t coursing ?

Edited by green lurchers