Galgos vs our stock

6 minutes ago, sandymere said:

When?

The saluki coursing club in this country got an invitation from the Portuguese galgo club to run against them in an experimental trail, 6 salukis went over there and one of them was a veteran. Think it was around 16 years ago a couple of years before the ban in this country.  I read about it in a book by Sir Terrance Clark called the Salukis in my life. The pure Salukis were also faster out of the slips than the galagos 

• Like 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They do alright over here.?

Pure salukis were ran against the galagos in there country and beat them on every course bar one, our coursing bred dogs are far better than pure Salukis so I’d say our stock would be in a different l

Here we go ,  cause some one has one , it’s the next secret squirrel best type  like malamutes, gsps, mallnois , gsds, nudge nudge wink wink  if galgos were any good , people would have

Posted Images

There's one local to me that bron plays with in the park. To say he pisses all over it when they're chasing, is an understatement. There ain't no way it can even get near him. They do well on the ground the run but I wouldn't put them above a coursing bred animal or even a straight sal or grey.

Lol, so none have seen a Galgo run?.

I messaged a friend  re salukis they breed and run Galgos as a hobby and in competition to a high calib. He praises saluki heat endurance and stamina but says galgos will catch two hares whilst the saluki is still chasing it's 1st......

I sent  YouTube English links of "fen" type dogs coursing a couple of years ago and he thought it unsportsmanlike as the slips were so short. Can't remember the exact wording but something along the lines of rubbish catches on 50 meters slips. Galgos catch on 100 plus or they aren't worth the food in the bowl.

I reckon we all believe we have the biggest fish but live in little ponds.

I've owned saluki based lurchers, pure greys and a Galgo. A few were pretty good some were pretty rubbish the Galgo has been one of the better ones to the point I'm bringing another over. If the pup comes as good as my current bitch I'll be a happy chap.

Bear in mind the Spanish are hard owners, a lot of galgos are bred every year and the great majority end up dead by 3 and this has been going on for over well over a thousand years. Survival of the best.?

Edited by sandymere
3 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Lol, so none have seen a Galgo run?.

I messaged a friend  re salukis they breed and run Galgos as a hobby and in competition to a high calib. He praises saluki heat endurance and stamina but says galgos will catch two hares whilst the saluki is still chasing it's 1st......

I sent  YouTube English links of "fen" type dogs coursing a couple of years ago and he thought it unsportsmanlike as the slips were so short. Can't remember the exact wording but something along the lines of rubbish catches on 50 meters slips. Galgos catch on 100 plus or they aren't worth the food in the bowl.

I reckon we all believe we have the biggest fish but live in little ponds.

I've owned saluki based lurchers, pure greys and a Galgo. A few were pretty good some were pretty rubbish the Galgo has been one of the better ones to the point I'm bringing another over. If the pup comes as good as my current bitch I'll be a happy chap.

Bear in mind the Spanish are hard owners, a lot of galgos are bred every year and the great majority end up dead by 3 and this has been going on for over well over a thousand years. Survival of the best.?

Edit to add, I read in a book about Salukis running along side a car at 60 miles an hour, pinch of salt re the claims in books ?

Is your galgo vocal during a course Sandymere?. What qualities do they possess which saluki hybrids don't  have? What is their everyday temperament like? Any other info would be appreciated. Genuinely interested not being negative at all.

on a big bit of open land if it pulls it goes, and it goes alone, not doubled up, there are some very good dogs that get slipped short, don't make them bad dogs, and some big name dogs are only average dogs slipped clever, and some are at another level altogether you wont here them bigged up or see them on you tube, you can only truly judge a dog when run single handed,

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

That Cos most the guys that put vids on YouTube are only after catches? I own neither type so no axe to grind or type to protect but I have seen some real long slips by decent dog men an catch or lose, it’s what they do. Just like I imagine over there there is guys that don’t treble up an that?

Bad ones every where, in Spain they tend to be sporting but a lot of galgos on YouTube are S/american and they aren't so sporting?.

This was one video I sent link asking about galgo and would they compete against them, I won't repeat the reply but to say it was not gracious.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DzUY1llXARXE&ved=2ahUKEwiOrsCAtIHeAhUGQMAKHQ_EA9gQjjgwAHoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1MhQ4r2oKDjyhTKpy5GQ-n

38 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Edit to add, I read in a book about Salukis running along side a car at 60 miles an hour, pinch of salt re the claims in books ?

it was the Portuguese Galgo club. He also ran with some Andalusian galgos that were better, the sals were better on the rough etc and the galgos better on the flat

20 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Is your galgo vocal during a course Sandymere?. What qualities do they possess which saluki hybrids don't  have? What is their everyday temperament like? Any other info would be appreciated. Genuinely interested not being negative at all.

No yapping, easy to live with, greyhound/sighthound temperament. I have young children so dogs need to be bomb proof. 1300 years ago the moorish invaders occupied Spain and likely brought their saluki types with them, genetics backs this up, these bred with local greyhound types, the ancestors of English greyhound type, and the modern  Galgo is the result. 

• Like 1