Rechargeable lamps

thinking about investing in a hand held rechargeable  myself for this season, will only be using it couple of nights in the week, for a couple of hours, due to not many rabbits on my perms,if leds are shite just give the heads up on what would do the job,some of the land I work are big fields,so whats my options.

Ollie get a clulite long ranger plr 500 got mine from Ian hodge field sports they are bang on I've been out for 6 hours some nights and have yet to run it down £50 posted comes with red filter car charger and mains charger they are ultra light I've put lanyard on mine and can sling it round my neck  for £50 you will not find a better lamp

• Like 2

I use plr 500 handheld LED. It's ok for the money but LED lights struggle to pick up squatters eyes in medium length grass. I've a tracer 170 dimmer with 22 amp tracer battery pack and it's more expensive but far better kit. Dimmer makes a massive difference on lampshy game. Walk in with lamp as low as possible so you barely see a glimmer of eye shine. Slip your dog give it full power and the fun begins. The plr 500 is now just used for feeding dogs or in around yard. They are still value for money at €60.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, grompz said:

thinking about investing in a hand held rechargeable  myself for this season, will only be using it couple of nights in the week, for a couple of hours, due to not many rabbits on my perms,if leds are shite just give the heads up on what would do the job,some of the land I work are big fields,so whats my options.

Same here, just for mid week moochin, just to have with me on the school night walks without being weighed down

cheers all

Edited by ollieollie
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:07, low plains drifter said:

I like the PLR 500, good long beam, and long battery life. 

had my first experience of using the plr 500 last night, my mate has purchased one on ebay, round about the 40 pound mark,  totally agree with what you said about it, only gripe that I have is there is a lot of side glare from this lamp,think it would be okay for lamping foxes, but no good if you are just using it for rabbits, because the beam is too wide, only way to  overcome this problem could be to black out part of the lens to create a spot,or is there a  filter you can buy to eliminate side glare,also don't think  the plastic casing will take much to break under rough conditions.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, grompz said:

had my first experience of using the plr 500 last night, my mate has purchased one on ebay, round about the 40 pound mark,  totally agree with what you said about it, only gripe that I have is there is a lot of side glare from this lamp,think it would be okay for lamping foxes, but no good if you are just using it for rabbits, because the beam is too wide, only way to  overcome this problem could be to black out part of the lens to create a spot,or is there a  filter you can buy to eliminate side glare,also don't think  the plastic casing will take much to break under rough conditions.

The plr is pretty tough little lamp in my opinion, mine has been dropped on tiles more than once (kids) as well as the usual bangs and knocks when in use and it’s still a 100%. 

• Like 1
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:47, W. Katchum said:

Don’t know if ye get a halogen half held one mate unless it’s the enforcer an that pricey once ye add in the cost of the clip in battery, but believe me very very few folk keep using led after a while ?

been looking at the  handheld enforcer range,and they seem as if they would suit my needs,if I was to go for the enforcer what do you think my best option would be mainlyfor lamping large sized fields

• 10 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 19:47, W. Katchum said:

Don’t know if ye get a halogen half held one mate unless it’s the enforcer an that pricey once ye add in the cost of the clip in battery, but believe me very very few folk keep using led after a while ?

I gave up after a couple of trips, that was a few seasons back but dont like LED at all....a striker and a lithium battery is fine for me...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I gave up after a couple of trips, that was a few seasons back but dont like LED at all....a striker and a lithium battery is fine for me...

Exactly the same here. Got a led one, the red is ok but I can't get on with the white.

Cheers, D.

1 minute ago, dytkos said:

Exactly the same here. Got a led one, the red is ok but I can't get on with the white.

Cheers, D.

I cant spot with them very well mate, loads like em though...just not for me...