Been experimenting with a different trap presentation on a difficult job. Lots of pets and children there so rodenticides are out and they have vetoed fenn mk4s.

I knocked this box together. It can be fixed along a fence line or along a wall etc20181008_130839.jpg.f8210dd27da60f204d7b288defc18782.jpg

With a Victor vertically inside. A length of  shock-leader is tied to the kill bar and threaded through a hole in the top lid. When the trap is sprung this will disappear, for at-a-glance monitoring.20181008_130710.jpg.173da013a0b17e6d40ab41fc7ae9b5dc.jpg 

Only caught little uns so far, but it's early days.

20181008_125807.jpg.1aeafbf5c36b646630e4112f3ea3764c.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Been experimenting with a different trap presentation on a difficult job. Lots of pets and children there so rodenticides are out and they have vetoed fenn mk4s.

I knocked this box together. It can be fixed along a fence line or along a wall etc

With a Victor vertically inside. A length of  shock-leader is tied to the kill bar and threaded through a hole in the top lid. When the trap is sprung this will disappear, for at-a-glance monitoring. 

Only caught little uns so far, but it's early days.

I hear this all the time, why????

Loads of jobs have children and pets, what wrong with species specific tamper proof boxes for either traps or baits?

I admire the ingenuity but I have never found the need.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, tilimangro said:

Snap traps

tried various standard baits they just aren’t interested 

Went to glue boards on the last two jobs

I think Glue boards have a place but they are usually pretty much my last resort.

Rats can take time to get used to anything new, not sure what to suggest if you don't want to use rodenticides!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Deker said:

I think Glue boards have a place but they are usually pretty much my last resort.

Rats can take time to get used to anything new, not sure what to suggest if you don't want to use rodenticides!

Last two jobs have been a night mare

lady with dementia who wouldn’t stop leaving food everywhere

old lady who poured jeyes fluid down all rat holes and everywhere 

blocked up holes and tinkered with everything I did

pulling my hair out with it tbh

1 hour ago, tilimangro said:

I've been revving up peanut butter with coconut oil for a bit of added sex appeal. Also the reason I went for a vertical snap trap - just to change things about.

You can buy frozen baby rats from pet food outlets (people feed their snakes with them) and I've always fancied giving them a go - rats being cannibalistic. Just a theory, but maybe worth a try.

When I size up rat jobs I ask myself two questions: Is the person likely to pay the bill, and is anything I do likely to make a difference. If the answer to either of those questions is no, I walk.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

I agree with you, but the customer is king and in this particular instance,  I have to go with what they want. Blame it on SpringWatch.

Anyway I'm headed there again tonight to administer a little lead poisoning under the cover of darkness 

20181010_102627.jpg.ac70fd993082a307e2b1ffec7f901e72.jpg

My customers aren't Kings, most of mine are lucky if I turn up ?

I'm thinking of selling up if anyone wants a pest control business ?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, tilimangro said:

Yeah, customers are a pain, couple of years back I had an old woman called me on a Fri, said I'd be over on Monday for inspection/treatment, usual long chat about what to do in the meantime.   She phoned again first thing Mon saying her son had been over and filled all the holes etc and what should she do now...I asked what her son did for a living, ......oh he's in IT..... I told her to get her IT son to do the job as he obviously knew more about Pest Control than me!

I can bend quite a bit to accommodate clients but if they start tinkering/telling me how to do the job I'm gone!

:thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...