Cod in Thames etc!?

Further to the thread A great day by the river, how far up the Thames (or any other river) have Cod been caught in the UK?

Just curious, never thought about it before, certainly none made it to Reading (as far as I'm aware). :laugh::thumbs:

I seem to recall, think it was back in the 80's, there was a Thames Lighter moored somewhere near Greenhithe and a local tackle dealer would let people hire it for the night to fish from and they caught cod and whiting.

I myself have caught small dabs and flounder, as well as eels, from Erith on freshwater gear and worms.

• Like 1
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 04:43, tomburras said:

A bit off topic but I taught I'd mention it anyway - iv caught loads of flounder from the wharfe at Tadcaster!  

Caught flounders in the tidal part of the don , in Doncaster quite away inland 

• Like 1

I live at the mouth of the bristol Avon, when I was a kid it was just eels and the odd flatie that was caught, now you can catch cod and bass nearly all year round for the first couple of miles my boy and his mates have also had small conger as well 

On 11 October 2018 at 14:50, W. Katchum said:

They moved a seal out the Swale I’m sure, hopefully they move yours as between them an otters coming back like locusts, the rivers are taking some beatin☹️

There,s been a seal in the freshwater Severn between Gloucester and Worcester for many years living on a diet of carp and barbel he,s even made the  news and papers on several occasions hopefully some one has rehoused him somewhere he won't cause so much trouble ???

• Sad 2

Cracking fish and quite a well known one, the Thames had a massive carp stocking when stealing fish from France was all the rage through the 90,s as every would be criminal was bringing them in then finding it was,nt as easy to sell them as they thought so the Thames became a dumping ground that's why it holds quite a few cats as well these days also everytime the clone valley gets flooded another load of fresh ones come into the Thames, the Severn  is simular but less well known with lots of carp and a reasonable head of cats ??

On 11/10/2018 at 14:41, Greyman said:

I live at the mouth of the bristol Avon, when I was a kid it was just eels and the odd flatie that was caught, now you can catch cod and bass nearly all year round for the first couple of miles my boy and his mates have also had small conger as well 

You can fish at newnham on the Severn estuary for saltwater species like flounder etc.

On 20 October 2018 at 08:42, waltjnr said:

Didn't that thames 50 originate from dinton?

Most of them originated elsewhere mate think a few thousand went in the Thames from brassenose in Oxford during the 2007 floods alone, though it was denied at the time, I had a mate that was fishing it and watched shoals of them going over, then they restocked it about a month later, another interesting thing they seem to always head down stream toward the tidal stretch,s, there is another known fish in the Thames that has worked its way down through around 60 locks, I also see them in the Bristol Avon were the tidal meets the fresh all the time same on the Severn ??

• Like 1