• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get a decent insulated warm kennel

Plenty bedding heat lamp over it be right mate

Had a pup come off the courier with same thing mate warm bowl of stewed meat and veg till it clears up only takes couple days 

5 hours ago, Southeastcourser said:

With the cold weather coming in yesterday took my dogs out for a bit of a walk but my by bitchs seems to have come down with a bit of a cold Any tips boys on a the best things I can do to get her right again 

cheers 

I stand corrected, please accept my apologies, I've kept and worked dogs for the past forty odd years, and have never experienced anything like a dog getting a cold, it's true what they say about every day being a school day, you taught me a lesson and I thank you for that, Atb

14 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

I stand corrected, please accept my apologies, I've kept and worked dogs for the past forty odd years, and have never experienced anything like a dog getting a cold, it's true what they say about every day being a school day, you taught me a lesson and I thank you for that, Atb

Well maybe you can help me out if you've been working dogs that long we know it's possible for dogs to get a cold like every other animal but if your dogs haven't gotten a cold in 40 years then you must be doging something right so my question is what would be the best thing  to do when you've had you dogs out on a wet day/night 

any help is appreciated thanks 

Edited by Southeastcourser
6 hours ago, Southeastcourser said:

With the cold weather coming in yesterday took my dogs out for a bit of a walk but my by bitchs seems to have come down with a bit of a cold Any tips boys on a the best things I can do to get her right again 

cheers 

Get yourself some liniment, Curacho, Sharps green rub etc, there's plenty of them available, give the bitch a regular rub down 

Edited by low plains drifter
6 hours ago, Southeastcourser said:

cheers 

Get a decent insulated warm kennel

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Southeastcourser said:

Well maybe you can help me out if you've been working dogs that long we know it's possible for dogs to get a cold like every other animal but if your dogs haven't gotten a cold in 40 years then you must be doging something right so my question is what would be the best thing  to do when you've had you dogs out on a wet day/night 

any help is appreciated thanks 

Hi southeastcourser,

after a cold/wet day or nights work the dogs get a good rub down with a couple of bath towels till they are totally dry, it also gives the muscles a thorough massage, this helps me feel for any lumps and bumps which are not normally there, when I'm happy all's OK with them I'll give them a warm meal to help them settle, I never used to have central heating just an open fire and used to bed the dogs down in front of that for the night, if they got bedded down in the kennel the heat lamp would be on to keep them warm, the dogs were bedded on raised beds keeping them away from any draughts, I once had a terrier stuck to ground for three days, she looked in a sorry state when I finally got her back, when I got her home the first thing I did was make her a cup of tea with one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of salt, this was something I'd been told to use years previously by a old greyhound man as a tonic for the dogs and it does seem to work, anyway we dug a dog fox with her a week later and she lived to the ripe old age of 12. I haven't got all the answers and I don't know it all where dogs are concerned, guess I've just been lucky with my canines, Atb pal

• Like 1

You sure its not kennel cough,I got my whippet pup vaccinated and they gave it kennel cough vac without me asking.It ended up giving it to my other bitch it lives with,not serious but a bad cough for a week or so.

Edited by Aussie Whip
14 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Yeah mate we are all lieing 

no not lieing  , but prob miss informed  , dogs dont get colds/flu  like we do as humans . dogs have differnt body temp to what we have, so are not susceptible  to colds like us , as Aussie whip  says might picked bit of kennel cough , i asked my vets years ago if dogs gets colds 2 vets said No , i only towel dogs down when wet in winter to stop  stiffness and cramp,  not to keep warm , along as they got warm kennel they be ok, mine got heat lamps , but only to stretch out . nothing worse for dogs than than sleeping in rolled up in ball they be stiff next day if they been worked hard night before , or out all day. never had a  lurcher in 30 odd years show any signs of a cold , old Bryn who 11   who very fit the old prat lol     , most mongrels /x breeds are .

11 minutes ago, bird said:

no not lieing  , but prob miss informed  , dogs dont get colds/flu  like we do as humans . dogs have differnt body temp to what we have, so are not susceptible  to colds like us , as Aussie whip  says might picked bit of kennel cough , i asked my vets years ago if dogs gets colds 2 vets said No , i only towel dogs down when wet in winter to stop  stiffness and cramp,  not to keep warm , along as they got warm kennel they be ok, mine got heat lamps , but only to stretch out . nothing worse for dogs than than sleeping in rolled up in ball they be stiff next day if they been worked hard night before , or out all day. never had a  lurcher in 30 odd years show any signs of a cold , old Bryn who 11   who very fit the old prat lol     , most mongrels /x breeds are .

Well it had a runny nose and a cough so i said it had a cold with I stand by till proven wrong by some sort of study saying other wise

12 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Hi southeastcourser,

after a cold/wet day or nights work the dogs get a good rub down with a couple of bath towels till they are totally dry, it also gives the muscles a thorough massage, this helps me feel for any lumps and bumps which are not normally there, when I'm happy all's OK with them I'll give them a warm meal to help them settle, I never used to have central heating just an open fire and used to bed the dogs down in front of that for the night, if they got bedded down in the kennel the heat lamp would be on to keep them warm, the dogs were bedded on raised beds keeping them away from any draughts, I once had a terrier stuck to ground for three days, she looked in a sorry state when I finally got her back, when I got her home the first thing I did was make her a cup of tea with one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of salt, this was something I'd been told to use years previously by a old greyhound man as a tonic for the dogs and it does seem to work, anyway we dug a dog fox with her a week later and she lived to the ripe old age of 12. I haven't got all the answers and I don't know it all where dogs are concerned, guess I've just been lucky with my canines, Atb pal

Thank you very much I'm in the process as we speak of getting the dogs up off the ground and better bedding thank you for all your help