bobhow

optimum distance for long net from hedge

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:21, W. Katchum said:

I only put mine out a few yards, enough to let bunny hit  good speed but not enough for it to clock the net😁 most important thing tho is to kick it back in every now an again or use stop nets from hedge to ye long net to stop em running hedge likes Fred had mentioned, don’t know if it’s right  way but it’s way I do it😀😉

Many years ago when this was a Hunting site there was a chap on here called Mapreader  he put up some great posts on Long netting with pictures and he caught rabbits in their hundreds , mainly he went on his own and sometimes took his son he would use  3/4 hundred yard trad nets on a drop . On one occasion a thread moved on to rabbits hitting the net at speed  and my comment was that I thought Nets seemed to work better when they  were slower I even had the cheek to suggest those that creep into the net were quickly enmeshed,  as you can imagine this started  a heated debate where I was told I should be struck blind and put in the Nuthouse then Mapreader  came on and said that he to liked to see Rabbits moving slowly into the net ! . I think Mapreader left soon after as all the good uns do  , I mean what did that daft Fcuker know after a life time of netting and having the nerve to put pictures up of rabbits bunched up in nets by the dozen 😉

Picture028.jpg

SAM_0353_zpsba912799.jpg

pretty sure map reader was using home made quickset nets. he certainly knew what he was doing. enjoyed his posts. 

• Like 2

I brought my long nets on Ebay, got a couple of 50yrd Quicksets in the basket. They're made with standard nylon netting material. They work well, but have been tangled a few time and I need to have a good sort out and re-tie them up. There is a lot of bagging on them. 

• Like 1

Our teacher of all things to do with ferreting, always says we have net too close to bury, and dogs should be kept away from holes not left running round hole to hole and we should stand well back out of sight

Of course we don't listen to him and every time we have to dig he says you wouldn't need to do that if you done things my way😀

2 hours ago, Chaff said:

Our teacher of all things to do with ferreting, always says we have net too close to bury, and dogs should be kept away from holes not left running round hole to hole and we should stand well back out of sight

Of course we don't listen to him and every time we have to dig he says you wouldn't need to do that if you done things my way😀

Any man who tells you that you don't have to dig is a fool or a liar probably both  digging is part of the game always was,  always will be .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, micky said:

Any man who tells you that you don't have to dig is a fool or a liar probably both  digging is part of the game always was,  always will be .

What he getting at is you get more bolters if they see no evil or hear no evil on top.

Oh and he don't use collars and locater because his ferrets don't lay up at all. 🤣

They do of course and its right pain in the arse when they do.

Also he once owned ferrets that were trained to a bosons whistle.🤔

The long netting section has some great threads going back over the years. Some real knowledge and memories to folks since passed. Inevitably one day this site will gone and it will all be gone. Some one should whack it in a book for posterity 

• Like 1