optimum distance for long net from hedge

bobhow

working a thick double hedge this weekend i found quite a few rabbits reluctant to make a clean break from the hedge to freedom preferring to run the gauntlet of the ferrets pig netting both sides of the hedge made purse netting hard all easy holes were covered long nets were 4 yards out from the hedge now my question is there a optimum distance from a hedge to set a long net for maximum effectiveness 

I net at night and not often  in the day with ferrets but as you got no reply I will try. I'm guessing as the rabbits hole hopped and did not run out then you or your dog was out in view.  Maybe try  nets running square to Warren rather than in front if your going to stand out front..Or stand to the side and let rabbits run out to your net. Imo rabbits don't break because they know you or some danger are there..????

I had my nets about 15/20 yds out last time. Trial and error mate.

37 minutes ago, smithie said:

I net at night and not often  in the day with ferrets but as you got no reply I will try. I'm guessing as the rabbits hole hopped and did not run out then you or your dog was out in view.  Maybe try  nets running square to Warren rather than in front if your going to stand out front..Or stand to the side and let rabbits run out to your net. Imo rabbits don't break because they know you or some danger are there..????

I had my nets about 15/20 yds out last time. Trial and error mate.

at least you gave a reply.i think a rabbits natural instinct is not to break cover but to run the hedge line.like you i only really use longnets at night. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

You managed to get out yet Fred ?.

not yet no.hoping next winds a couple of drops in mind.i think i have been guilty of waiting for perfect conditions. in hindsight i should have gone a couple of nights by now.

1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

I think we are all guilty of waiting for the right night,  how’s the wrist (all good now ?).

yes mate back to full duties back at work.i must admit i enjoyed my little stint at retirement 19 weeks off & what a summer it was.also with having a pup it gave me plenty of time with her.

• Like 1

A few folks stuff some thing on the hedge to force them out like that red plastic mesh stuff you see on road works etc. Just more stuff to carry but depends how easy it is too access

s-l640.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

This is the type of post that no one answer is going to cover it , for me after the harvest if its dry the farmers start cutting the hedges , i only try to set mine out far enough to miss the crap  a rabbit will if it can exit a burrow at speed so they don't need to be set yards and yards out into a field , and as said break it up with wee stop nets . ive even stuck a fertiliser bag between the fence and hedge to turn them out to the big nett 

• Like 1

I like our wee curs to be well into the hedgerow,..they soon learn to lay back until a rabbit has made his decision to leave a bury,..and when he does,..they are onto his arse in double quick time.?

Plenty of strategically placed stop nets will generally pick up rabbits that elect to run the hedgerow. 

They do not expect to encounter a web, whilst running through the cover. 

I like Hedgerow hunting with stop nets,..really good craic...:clapper:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Evening,

I've just been out long netting hedgerows today, double fenced hedgerow with stocknetting about 5ft wide apart.  I set one longnet each side running the length of the warren, about 2-3ft out from the fence line, further if any bolt holes.   I did have concerns that the rabbits may just bolt and run down the middle of the fence and I couldn't use stop nets, however, nothing did, all bolted in to the field to make their escape and the longnet worked just fine.  I will make up some 'donk boards' for next time just in case though.  All I would say. is having nets both sides of the hedge and being on my own was hard work, I'll be taking a friend next time.

IMG_20190113_121217.jpg

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:21, W. Katchum said:

I only put mine out a few yards, enough to let bunny hit  good speed but not enough for it to clock the net? most important thing tho is to kick it back in every now an again or use stop nets from hedge to ye long net to stop em running hedge likes Fred had mentioned, don’t know if it’s right  way but it’s way I do it??

Many years ago when this was a Hunting site there was a chap on here called Mapreader  he put up some great posts on Long netting with pictures and he caught rabbits in their hundreds , mainly he went on his own and sometimes took his son he would use  3/4 hundred yard trad nets on a drop . On one occasion a thread moved on to rabbits hitting the net at speed  and my comment was that I thought Nets seemed to work better when they  were slower I even had the cheek to suggest those that creep into the net were quickly enmeshed,  as you can imagine this started  a heated debate where I was told I should be struck blind and put in the Nuthouse then Mapreader  came on and said that he to liked to see Rabbits moving slowly into the net ! . I think Mapreader left soon after as all the good uns do  , I mean what did that daft Fcuker know after a life time of netting and having the nerve to put pictures up of rabbits bunched up in nets by the dozen ?

Picture028.jpg

SAM_0353_zpsba912799.jpg