Trail cam advice

27 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Not a problem mate, if your a YouTube user look up a guy called Tim Harrell he does a little blog thing called trail camera pick up he,s based in America, he collects his cameras and uploads the footage so you can see what it's all about, one more thing I would say is the longer you can leave them the more wildlife will come to them I think it takes about a week to loose our smell even though I rub horse shit on my hands when I set them and I smell like a badger at the best of times, you can see the animals acting cautiously for the first few days but after that they relax and act normal, I thought the deer I mentioned earlier was actually going to give birth it was there so long, ?

Nice one, I’ll have a look on YouTube at his channel and also I’ll take on board leaving it out for longer periods but I may not commit to rubbing horse shit on my hands before setting it up ? (maybe find a muddy patch and rub them there)...

i know there’s a few roe deer kicking about and foxes in the area too, I’m really hoping for a buzzard more than anything else but I’ll be investing in a cam and with patience and some luck hopefully I’ll come back posting some nice images over the winter ?

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anyone tell me if trail cameras are any good for small woodland birds or can be triggered by sparrow hawks or buzzards ??? i do a lot of wildlife photography and have set up a feeding stat

Alright mate I run trail cameras for a hobby and I have caught owls, bats, blue/great tits are very common in spring as they think the lense is a hole and try to get in to nest even moths trigger them

With those GPS cams you need the gps land location were you are putting them if some fckr takes it and moves from that spot the cam wont work very clever

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

Alright mate I run trail cameras for a hobby and I have caught owls, bats, blue/great tits are very common in spring as they think the lense is a hole and try to get in to nest even moths trigger them I also no a guy that is a serious Barbie/pig roast fellow that butchers everything from squirrels upto cows and he has a big feeding station were he throws all his offal and gets quite a lot of good bird of prey shots, I also meet up once a year with the fellow that makes them for programs on animal planet etc, his cameras are £5000 a pop and you have to add your own dslr to that, despite what jiggly is trying to tell you I have lots of clear pictures of everything but I don't put them up for viewing  simply because I can't,  trail cameras trigger in around 0.5 seconds slightly quicker if taking stills and slightly longer if set to record video, if you don't want to get involved in the 5k custom made jobs the browning strike force is the preferred make and model at around £140, has a really good trigger time is really reliable and economical on battery,s hope that helps mate lovely photo,s by the way something I wish I had more time for if I can offer anymore help let me know 

Despite what I say when you have 100% evidence of big cats breeding then you will shout it from the roof tops. I hope you get there and won't shout you down because you admire all wildlife in your trail cams but !!!!! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Just make sure i dont find them thats all im saying.

I bought one last year. Looked at it never set it but then my 4 year old kid found it more exciting than I did . I put it back in the cupboard in my sitting room and never bothered since but if I ever walk into my sitting room and find you are kicking that or the press then you my friend will meet your nemesis with a swift boot to wherever. ?????? I'm not actually sure if it's still there so pm me and I'll try find it.

8 hours ago, zandy01 said:

Can anyone tell me if trail cameras are any good for small woodland birds or can be triggered by sparrow hawks or buzzards ???

i do a lot of wildlife photography and have set up a feeding station in woodland but would like to try and bait it for predatory birds or possibly foxes...

I’d like to get some more images like these ones I took, any help appreciated.

51E2AD87-14D2-4C4C-B44C-E5356104EA26.jpeg

CFF78262-0C2A-458D-AFA8-5A030FB31D86.jpeg

54923221-F954-4D19-BC37-3C21D7ABDC1A.jpeg

Cracking pics,my favorite bop

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 01/10/2018 at 10:06, Ted Newgent said:

i think most cams have a 3 second delay on pics

but if you were to select video mode you might be able to get shots like those but quality  wont be as good.

some cams say they are 1080i these days.

Just picked up a couple of absolute bargains ted,in the UK uttings are selling them for £519 quid,I got two for less than £500 very lucky find,pics to my mobile and solar panel recharge.

IMG_20181108_115443.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mackem said:

Just picked up a couple of absolute bargains ted,in the UK uttings are selling them for £519 quid,I got two for less than £500 very lucky find,pics to my mobile and solar panel recharge.

IMG_20181108_115443.jpg

Think I,d sleep out with them at them prices, my main problem is most of my cameras go on public footpath,s or land I have no rights to be on, I do have one or two on perms but most are there to be stolen by anyone observant enough to find them, do the ir glow red or are they fitted with the black ones? 

• Like 1
On 01/10/2018 at 16:38, zandy01 said:

I’m sure there’d be some amamzing stories to be heard as well as some sad ones too I’d imagine and yes, nature can be very cruel but also very beautiful.

heres a link to my photos if you’d like to see more of what I’ve captured on camera 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94724826@N08/

I’m pretty sure pinemartens prey also on grey squirrels and not reds ??? I do wonder if that’s why both reds and martens are thriving in Scotland along with greys being controlled...

Some awesome photos ... Intrigued by the songbirds with rings. Anything you've done?

• Like 1

I don’t know if it’s got the IR black or red Greyman I am out at the moment,at the price they were a steal,they are more expensive than the cameras I used to get from China but they have loads more features,I might look into cellular Chinese trail cams actually,the ones I just got will be perfect for a few little projects,and to see who is fishing on my river in real-time as and when they arrive.Injust found out if you activate GPS tracking and the camera is purloined you can find out exactly where it’s located.I saw those boxes in the store thanks Ted,didn’t get one but might.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, mackem said:

I don’t know if it’s got the IR black or red Greyman I am out at the moment,at the price they were a steal,they are more expensive than the cameras I used to get from China but they have loads more features,I might look into cellular Chinese trail cams actually,the ones I just got will be perfect for a few little projects,and to see who is fishing on my river in real-time as and when they arrive.Injust found out if you activate GPS tracking and the camera is purloined you can find out exactly where it’s located.I saw those boxes in the store thanks Ted,didn’t get one but might.

A few of the people in the group I,m involved with use the metal box,s with a python lock, I normally use frame fixers to attach the cameras to trees so you have to break them to remove them if you don't have an impact driver with the right tip or if I can't use them I just cable tie them on, have only ever had one spotted by a guy who just stood looking at it then fecked off but loads of people just walk past them without ever seeing them been doing it for a few years now and still lost none, another good camera  for watching over your river is called a plot watcher, no good after dark but cover a lot bigger area than normal trail cams, a bloke I no bought a couple in the states a few years back, they are a time lapse as opposed to movement sensor but you can set them to come on for certain times of day and the battery,s go on for ever, check em out on YouTube ?