Preparing Christmas Dinner

talking of turkeys....and katchum being on here.....was up your way the other day as you know from our pm....and very close to where you took them picks there was a big black turkey wandering next to the road..a good way from any farm or house...have you seen it mate

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time to start fattening up the Christmas birds...  

I read the thread title and thought those sprouts will be f*ck*ng ruined if you've put them in at the end of September...

All good mate... I've put a guard in with them to keep the foxes, big cats and Polish away...  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

I was never a fan of turkey until I'd had one that been cooked properly by someone that knew what they were doing. It's worth a second go IMHO.

I've also go some wild turkey in the yard. Birds and bottled...

to be honest mate I don't mind it that much...its just an easy target to have a pop at on here...especialy being a yank thing..lol

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, TOMO said:

to be honest mate I don't mind it that much...its just an easy target to have a pop at on here...especialy being a yank thing..lol

I My son took this terrible photograph in the yard...

Turkeys.jpg.aabadd034d31fcdda79a4631474b3cff.jpg

It's like they know turkey season is almost here and they're now immune from those in the orange vests if they stay in the yards.

Turkey needs to be covered when cooking and only uncovered for the last 10mins, to crisp the skin. Stuff with stuffing mixed with chopped smoked bacon it'll be moist and delish. 

Tip; raise the turkey on a rack or a bed of root veggies ;)

Cook raised over white wine and chicken stock covered with tin foil (Not touching the bird), put butter under the skin and massage in, uncover for the last 20 mins to Brown.

Use the liquor to make the gravy...

As far as cost...they're free and so is the feed...favours work

Normally do venison and a ham as well...I prefer the venison Mrs and eldest love Turkey.

55 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

There should be no mention of it till at least after Guy Fawkes night.

Its Nai on 3 months away and shops and Tv will bombard folk with it.

Spoils it imo ?

Can't wait until then to start fattening them up mate...I'd be serving quail! Lol

55 minutes ago, The one said:

Will they turn that wee run into mud or can you get away with it ?.

Yeah they make it muddy mate, I move the run around a bit...they'll be in the barn for a fair bit now to keep weight on...

5 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

I'm disappointed Tomo. I thought you were going to ask if the called was called Tesco or summat!

Question for those that aren't huge fans of turkey. Have you ever had one that the chef has 'brined' before cooking? :hmm:

Nope ,an tbh it wouldn’t make a difference when I’m buying a turkey all I think about is I could Have got a lovely bit of beef or pork for the money ?

• Haha 1