Needed some peace

chrismdd

Well for the past week I've been baiting up a swim on our local river for some elusive big chub. All set last night and set-up for 9pm. Was looking good then twenty minutes later a chap and his son with the brightest headtorch in all the world gatecrashes the swim not knowing I'm there as they look for the fish. Well that was game over so this evening I opted for a peaceful two hours up at the copse, or so I hoped.

Set up in my usual place hoping for some pigeons. Soon a magpie came in when I took him out all hell broke loose as up to another eight magpies came swooping in to mob their fallen comrade. Talk about peaceful far from it I was trying to knock them down as they flapped from branch to branch, emptied a full ten shot magazine and downed three more before the others decided it was better to flee.

In the last hour I had one squirrel and missed two pigeons due to the heavy cover. In the gloom I picked up two of the magpies with the other two left deep in the brambles.

Did another short session last week getting a couple of rabbits but the interesting bit then was that I also managed a single magpie and decided to chuck it out in full view in the field next door to draw others in. This did the trick with crows and jacdaws joining the other magpies in a noisy frenzy, but the odd thing was that as I was hidden under some trees the dead magpie was picked up by one of the crows and almost dropped down on top of me!

DSCF3292[1].JPG

DSCF3294[1].JPG

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, timmytree said:

Hi Chris, you ok?

An old trick I used years ago for prebaiting was to hang a dead rabbit in a tree over a swim and let the maggots trickle in over time. Very effective.

Hi Tim,

Yes, doing fine here just back to long days and busy weekends when there is never enough time to cram everything in. The swim I prebaited was next to a bridge so hanging something probably wouldn't go down too well with those that lived nearby so I opted for sweetcorn and pellet every morning at 7am on the way to work.

I do use the 'plastic pigeon' method when trotting the river with a stick float by using a cut down plastic rod tube sealed at the base with holes drilled in the sides, filled with maggots and then suspended from a tree or bush over where the float will glide. Have had wonderful bags of dace this way with the best being 15 lb bag in a few hours fishing one winter.

You still getting out shooting? I still haven't managed to source a S200 yet and so and now looking at another S410 or S400 in carbine or superlite form.

• Like 1