collie stud

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

honestly bird ,i dont have any interest in foxes really ,if they do it ,then its an added bonus ,i like all edible quarry ,theres a lot of bull /collie greyhounds here doing lots of foxes ,i just want a well trained ferreting dog that will hunt and find for sport ..ive a few other mutts too so im not pigeon holed really ..we will see how it goes anyway ,im in no panic to be breeding a litter if theres a hiccup in any of the parents ...saying that ive known a few real good fox dogs from 1st x collies ...but their not the norm ..i know 

fair enough   mate, if just rabbits   there  spot on for that job. yeh Trunk  over  your way in Ireland   runs collie x grey x pit x greys  and does well with them, i think he told me there only about 1/4 if that collie in them , most running dog and pit , and he said it very hit/miss  with them that do that job. my 3/8 c 5/g  Blaze  i had in the 80s  would kill foxes , but  missed fair few  fecking about  with them  not going right in thats the thing with herding type xs  they got a brain  and can think to much about the job at hand ,, that rabbits as well   they only catch what they want  not what you want ?,  , but  he done he 1st job rabbits . hope it works out for you and you get a good temp pup .

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you know me then Morton or are you a good judge of charachter over a computer screen cause  thats your argument or view f****d then cause i dont sell dogs .i had a lad come from england for a saluk

Go for it Jiggy, the ole collie /grey stays deep within me, good clever dogs, my first was way back in 1958 a young 14 year old Boy, my uncles working Hill collie bitch, x Cotton king ( waterloo cup w

I've had some really nice greyhounds over the years,..fabulous creatures,...caught plenty of Hares and Roe with them...  I admire their determination,... to come to terms with their quarry,...I l

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Not all collie crosses pick an choose there own rabbits, saw few that would run what ever thr lamp was on

I believe the same mate not all collie xs do it my old bitch never in her life picked or choose her runs nor none of this stalking shit that collie xs are meant to do i lamped the bitch regular I was told it was dogs that are lamped regular that do it??‍♂️ if it was  aluminateed she’s try her hardest for me to catch it even if she’s not to keen (on bite back gear) she’d still pull em great for bringing young uns on but not her strong point but I still rate collie xs as a rule as pretty handy dogs in the right hands An good fun I don’t think there for everyone though as they can be temprimental at times an sulk but if you have that positive spark about you An your a happy type of person that don’t stress to much when training a dog if it don’t go your way I think the possibility’s are endless with a collie x there turn there selfs to anything work wise hard cross to beat as a real all rounder 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, poxon said:

I believe the same mate not all collie xs do it my old bitch never in her life picked or choose her runs nor none of this stalking shit that collie xs are meant to do i lamped the bitch regular I was told it was dogs that are lamped regular that do it??‍♂️ if it was  aluminateed she’s try her hardest for me to catch it even if she’s not to keen (on bite back gear) she’d still pull em great for bringing young uns on but not her strong point but I still rate collie xs as a rule as pretty handy dogs in the right hands An good fun I don’t think there for everyone though as they can be temprimental at times an sulk but if you have that positive spark about you An your a happy type of person that don’t stress to much when training a dog if it don’t go your way I think the possibility’s are endless with a collie x there turn there selfs to anything work wise hard cross to beat as a real all rounder 

Sensible mode of thinking...:yes:

Personally, I prefer a Collie lurcher that has plenty of thinkers,... I find them easy to school,.. they seem to pick up the mouching game quickly

All my original stock were created to catch, salable/edible quarry, rabbits, Hares, Pheasants, and small deer...

Temperament can sometimes be an issue with the herding based composites,..you do need to choose a type that suits your own personality...

I used to be a c*nt with a dog, but nowadays I have learned to go with the flow,...Collie/Kelpie style lurchers, suit me,... just reet...

_MG_5616.JPG.ce0db400269c563f8ccc43496eff6d2c.JPG

• Like 6
On 30/09/2018 at 21:46, jigsaw said:

Do you know me then Morton or are you a good judge of charachter over a computer screen cause  thats your argument or view f****d then cause i dont sell dogs .i had a lad come from england for a saluki pup i bred ,,it cost him 50 euros ,the cost of injection and whats not ,he stayed in my home for the night and i brought him for a few pints to the local pub ,fed and entertained him best i could ...this is not about profit ,this is me getting a replacement for my wife and myself for a bit of hill hunting /ferreting  etc .ask Tyla on here if im a money grabbing kind of person ,,he came over and we spent 2 days up the mountains looking for goats ,,im more than accommodating with anyone if i can get the time .....any other queries  get back to me smart ass

My post was more tongue in cheek than anything else mucker.Again im a massive Collie lurcher fan and any attempt to produce another is a step in the right direction.I don,t rate first crosses as there is to much litter wastage,the more capable collie lurchers are often sourced from lurcher to lurcher breeding,but the only way to start that process is through a first cross.Im all for a free supper,ale and a bed,if a pup is thrown in as well then im yer man,now all i need is somebody to chip in for my travelling expenses.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, morton said:

My post was more tongue in cheek than anything else mucker.Again im a massive Collie lurcher fan and any attempt to produce another is a step in the right direction.I don,t rate first crosses as there is to much litter wastage,the more capable collie lurchers are often sourced from lurcher to lurcher breeding,but the only way to start that process is through a first cross.Im all for a free supper,ale and a bed,if a pup is thrown in as well then im yer man,now all i need is somebody to chip in for my travelling expenses.

Can you ride a horse

Go for it Jiggy, the ole collie /grey stays deep within me, good clever dogs, my first was way back in 1958 a young 14 year old Boy, my uncles working Hill collie bitch, x Cotton king ( waterloo cup winner, and back in those days Hill collies could work, pace stamina, and Brains, No Quad bikes, every body had to work back in those days or simple you did not EAT, The collie bitch was tyed up in the wee cow byre, Cotton king his kennels was only about 200yards away down at the bottom of the field, He escaped from his pen, and the byre door was a little bit open enough for the dog to get in, were the bitch was, a couple months later an un wanted litter of pups was born, I begged my Grannie to let me keep this black dog pup with a white blaze, down his chest, the mating was just a pure accident, (( truth)) that is when I fell in love with my Lurchers, we are talking of 60 years Ago, I bred my wee black bitch this summer,  she is Saluki/whippet/greyhound, just under 23"  mated to a very good Scottish dog he was 9 years old my disappointment she only had one pup a Black dog pup,  is this a coincidence, I know this will be my last Lurcher pup to rear and enter, ((((  as they say spirit is strong but the flesh is weak,

• Like 17
22 hours ago, border lad said:

Go for it Jiggy, the ole collie /grey stays deep within me, good clever dogs, my first was way back in 1958 a young 14 year old Boy, my uncles working Hill collie bitch, x Cotton king ( waterloo cup winner, and back in those days Hill collies could work, pace stamina, and Brains, No Quad bikes, every body had to work back in those days or simple you did not EAT, The collie bitch was tyed up in the wee cow byre, Cotton king his kennels was only about 200yards away down at the bottom of the field, He escaped from his pen, and the byre door was a little bit open enough for the dog to get in, were the bitch was, a couple months later an un wanted litter of pups was born, I begged my Grannie to let me keep this black dog pup with a white blaze, down his chest, the mating was just a pure accident, (( truth)) that is when I fell in love with my Lurchers, we are talking of 60 years Ago, I bred my wee black bitch this summer,  she is Saluki/whippet/greyhound, just under 23"  mated to a very good Scottish dog he was 9 years old my disappointment she only had one pup a Black dog pup,  is this a coincidence, I know this will be my last Lurcher pup to rear and enter, ((((  as they say spirit is strong but the flesh is weak,

Good memories mate...good luck with the new pup

• Like 1

? The genuine Collie x Greyhound hybrids are amazingly varied in size and conformation...

I've bred some real streamlined beauties, and correspondingly,..more than a few, that looked like mongrelized grass vergers. ?

Some were quicksilver clever and took to their schooling in the manner of A stream students, whilst others were more like me,... and were dumb as feck...?

The initial hybridization twixt a Herder and a Racer would seem to offer no guarantees of a particular end result.

It can often be a gamble. 

Possibly this is why enthusiasts so often go for a pup that has come from a long line of similarly bred individuals...

It must be comforting for them to see animals from previous litters...:yes:

1514582219_photo44-Maddiecomingintothenet.jpg.3551346d635ccbf7efcc10a0520779e5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

? The genuine Collie x Greyhound hybrids are amazingly varied in size and conformation...

I've bred some real streamlined beauties, and correspondingly,..more than a few, that looked like mongrelized grass vergers. ?

Some were quicksilver clever and took to their schooling in the manner of A stream students, whilst others were more like me,... and were dumb as feck...?

The initial hybridization twixt a Herder and a Racer would seem to offer no guarantees of a particular end result.

It can often be a gamble. 

Possibly this is why enthusiasts so often go for a pup that has come from a long line of similarly bred individuals...

It must be comforting for them to see animals from previous litters...:yes:

Wise words brother