Number 40

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got fox number 40 last week at the shoot. That’s 40 shot since January on 500 acres. That should have gone a good way to helping the poults, now to just control Charlie numbers and to stop the Ba$#a

I think that the voting public generally would struggle to accept the idea of killing for fun and can rationalise the need for pest control more readily. I personally only shoot foxes when Ive got to

Well done. The fox rescue center round the corner must be right proud that none of em are coming back.:)

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Deker said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh Dear!!!!! :doh:

Seeing as you are NOT a Pest Controller and don't even have a FAC, you'll not need to bow to any landowner.

Pest Control in anything close to the commercial sector, can ALWAYS be traced back to money!  

How do you think it would go down when I tell all my clients I'll leave a few rats/mice/bedbugs/fleas/wasps/mink/squirrel/rabbit/fox/etc/etc because we need to maintain a balance.

Dear Mr Kebab shop, I've left a few rats to maintain the balance.    Dear Mr Supermarket, I've left a few pigeons flying around and shitting on your fresh meats/deli/etc counter to maintain a balance.    Dear Mr Greenkeeper I've left a few deer and rabbits destroying your Greens to maintain a balance.     Dear Mr Homeowner, I've left a few squirrel running around in your roof space to maintain a balance.    Dear Mr Stable owner, I've left a few rabbits for your horses to break their legs in their burrows and throw their riders to maintain a balance.    Dear Mr landowner, I've shot a few foxes but I've left a few to eat your Chicken/Poults to maintain a balance!:laugh: 

Pest Control is not about leaving a few to continue the problem, the only time full removal is not achieved is when it's not possible.  That doesn't mean we make anything extinct, or the area is not repopulated, quite quickly at times.  That's why Pest Controllers have ongoing maintenance contracts, to keep on top of problems.

You've got this one right Deker !

8 hours ago, Deker said:

Seeing as you are NOT a Pest Controller and don't even have a FAC, you'll not need to bow to any landowner.

Pest Control in anything close to the commercial sector, can ALWAYS be traced back to money!  

How do you think it would go down when I tell all my clients I'll leave a few rats/mice/bedbugs/fleas/wasps/mink/squirrel/rabbit/fox/etc/etc because we need to maintain a balance.

Dear Mr Kebab shop, I've left a few rats to maintain the balance.    Dear Mr Supermarket, I've left a few pigeons flying around and shitting on your fresh meats/deli/etc counter to maintain a balance.    Dear Mr Greenkeeper I've left a few deer and rabbits destroying your Greens to maintain a balance.     Dear Mr Homeowner, I've left a few squirrel running around in your roof space to maintain a balance.    Dear Mr Stable owner, I've left a few rabbits for your horses to break their legs in their burrows and throw their riders to maintain a balance.    Dear Mr landowner, I've shot a few foxes but I've left a few to eat your Chicken/Poults to maintain a balance!:laugh: 

Pest Control is not about leaving a few to continue the problem, the only time full removal is not achieved is when it's not possible.  That doesn't mean we make anything extinct, or the area is not repopulated, quite quickly at times.  That's why Pest Controllers have ongoing maintenance contracts, to keep on top of problems.

Deker I understand your position, you're livelihood is pest control. Those who shoot for sport have different priorities and more personal choice.

There's also the question of the image of the sport and it's future. Antis would like nothing more than to be able to show that shooters are simply people who go around the countryside killing species to extinction in areas (irrespective of whether those areas re-populate or not). The fact is the majority don't. Most like to think they're re-balancing the countryside whilst enjoying some sport, and for most it's a preferable path to follow both personally, and for the good of the sport.

9 hours ago, Deker said:

Ha ha, you are spot on, if I told the lad that runs the shoot I do the fox control on I’d left a couple so I had a few to go at later he would go nuts, you will never get rid of them all as others soon move in, why you would treat pest control like managing deer on an estate is beyond me, just shoot the buggers, I don’t think we’ll run out anytime soon ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

Deker I understand your position, you're livelihood is pest control. Those who shoot for sport have different priorities and more personal choice.

There's also the question of the image of the sport and it's future. Antis would like nothing more than to be able to show that shooters are simply people who go around the countryside killing species to extinction in areas (irrespective of whether those areas re-populate or not). The fact is the majority don't. Most like to think they're re-balancing the countryside whilst enjoying some sport, and for most it's a preferable path to follow both personally, and for the good of the sport.

Shooting fox to protect poults is Pest Control, "I think you have to balance Pest Control with conservation" your words.    We are not talking Sport shooting, we are talking Pest Control, however rewarding/satisfying it may be!   Pest Control is about solving problems, not promoting a balance in the rat etc population.

Edited by Deker
14 hours ago, Deker said:

Shooting fox to protect poults is Pest Control, "I think you have to balance Pest Control with conservation" your words.    We are not talking Sport shooting, we are talking Pest Control, however rewarding/satisfying it may be!   Pest Control is about solving problems, not promoting a balance in the rat etc population.

It is in the commercial sphere. I'm making a difference between commercial shooters and those for whom it's a hobby. I accept if you're running a business and the farmer says, I want all the bunnies dead on my fields, then you have a need to deliver that, or at least something very close to that, or at least so long as there are competitors who will (maybe time for a governing body / principles?) . The hobbyist / sporting shooter has more leeway.

Equally, the effects of a kill all attitude to larger countryside pests such as bunnies and foxes, is the increased likelihood of a total ban on shooting. You have to remember that probably 90%+ of the voting public in this country haven't a clue, believe it's cruel to kill any animal, that shooters are nothing more than thugs who terrorise innocent animals for sport and that the countryside would be far better conservation wise if left alone - grouse moors in point. With that backdrop, it doesn't pay anyone commercial or otherwise to feed that view with total control.

I think that the voting public generally would struggle to accept the idea of killing for fun and can rationalise the need for pest control more readily. I personally only shoot foxes when Ive got to , on pheasant shoots at certain times of year and poultry units and on occasions lambing fields . I find it challenging and I find the fox a beautiful beguiling creature who I have a great amount of respect for . If you came to my house you would see pictures and ornaments of foxes everywhere, I drink my tea from a mug with a fox on it . I more than most people would hate to see the last fox . But I’ve always struggled to explain my motivation to non shooting/ hunting people. The subject is so emotive and feelings are so strong on both sides . You could argue that if we didn’t release pheasants to shoot we would not need to control foxes over such a large area of the countryside, but I would say that released pheasants support a larger fox population! Whatever your view, shooting foxes is a growing “sport”, which now hunting is banned will only continue to grow . Nice one LACS , I think you guys scored an own goal there , more foxes shot now than ever . ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Alsone said:

It is in the commercial sphere. I'm making a difference between commercial shooters and those for whom it's a hobby. I accept if you're running a business and the farmer says, I want all the bunnies dead on my fields, then you have a need to deliver that, or at least something very close to that, or at least so long as there are competitors who will (maybe time for a governing body / principles?) . The hobbyist / sporting shooter has more leeway.

Equally, the effects of a kill all attitude to larger countryside pests such as bunnies and foxes, is the increased likelihood of a total ban on shooting. You have to remember that probably 90%+ of the voting public in this country haven't a clue, believe it's cruel to kill any animal, that shooters are nothing more than thugs who terrorise innocent animals for sport and that the countryside would be far better conservation wise if left alone - grouse moors in point. With that backdrop, it doesn't pay anyone commercial or otherwise to feed that view with total control.

Where do you get/invent this rubbish from? 

100% of people who call Pest Controllers want a problem solved.    

If a farmer wants all his Pests removed and you are a Sport Shooter, you will not keep the job/permission long if he finds out you decide to leave a few to balance nature.

Shooting fox in the context of this thread is PEST CONTROL, if you want to start talking about tree huggers start another thread somewhere else!

Deker the vast majority of sporting shooters don't kill everything on a site. They shoot a few each night they're out and that's it or where there's a plague of eg rabbits, substantially reduce it. Most don't shoot to total removal and neither is it a good idea to either if no other reason than public perception. Only last week NRW (Natural Resources Wales read the Welsh Government) banned shooting on ALL Publicly Owned land in Wales. Every council in England has banned Grouse Shooting on it's moors. Image is more important now than ever. 

3 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Deker the vast majority of sporting shooters don't kill everything on a site. They shoot a few each night they're out and that's it or where there's a plague of eg rabbits, substantially reduce it. Most don't shoot to total removal and neither is it a good idea to either if no other reason than public perception. Only last week NRW (Natural Resources Wales read the Welsh Government) banned shooting on ALL Publicly Owned land in Wales. Every council in England has banned Grouse Shooting on it's moors. Image is more important now than ever. 

FFS, they have NOT banned PEST CONTROL on ANY land!

This Thread is about PEST CONTROL, do you have a problem reading, go preach to tree huggers elseware!

Edited by Deker
17 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

You are a one off . Pop around for a cuppa and I’ll give you my badger mug , and a nice special chocolate brownie . ?

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Your brilliant ?

:wub::wub::wub:

:laugh:

:thumbs:

• Haha 1