Breeding Studs/Broods

34 minutes ago, downsouth said:

I think like with the red bitch i put the pic up of which seemed to start this subject its most common in dogs that the only time they get out of the kennel is to go digging.Poor fuckers end up stir crazy.

That’s exactly it, only time they are of the chain is at the mouth of a hole. Never seen it happen with a properly reared and entered terrier that is regularly allowed a bit of few running and using its nose in a natural way. A terrier that is only of the chain when it gives a mark at an earth soon catches on that that is what it takes for it to get of that chain. 

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good bitch will never be brought to a crap dog,whereas plenty of substandard bitches are brought to good dogs,if the bitch is worthy of breeding you can be sure she’ll be going to a dog worth breedi

A really good bitch from 25years back.She was built better than most dogs and was tougher than a lot of dogs too.Always produced decent quality woekers whatever she was bred to.

Without a good bitch to start with your on a down hill slope straight off. I personally believe their are plenty of good dogs out there but good working bitchs are not as plentiful. I have always pref

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

That’s exactly it, only time they are of the chain is at the mouth of a hole. Never seen it happen with a properly reared and entered terrier that is regularly allowed a bit of few running and using its nose in a natural way. A terrier that is only of the chain when it gives a mark at an earth soon catches on that that is what it takes for it to get of that chain. 

Seen it happen a few times with mates dogs because the lads always seem to have an excuse as to why they cant give their dogs a walk.Whereas littermates or stuff ive had from the same blood that get the chance to have a good run and hunt up everyday wont even enter or search an empty spot or even stop to sniff at an entrance.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Seen it happen a few times with mates dogs because the lads always seem to have an excuse as to why they cant give their dogs a walk.Whereas littermates or stuff ive had from the same blood that get the chance to have a good run and hunt up everyday wont even enter or search an empty spot or even stop to sniff at an entrance.

Was out with mates one day and a terrierman from down the country and pulled up to a gateway and the mate reached into the back of the van and let his terrier out of its box, the lad from down the country started shouting catch that terrier catch that terrier there’s cows in that field lol. Like the mate had just unleashed a fecking lion lol. Terrier trotted down the field beside us and over the top of rabbit burrows that we had seen rabbits skip into and when we got to the earth we had good 5 foot dig, the lad commented that he’d never seen a dog from that line as well behaved. Lol. The mate said there’s another 2 in the van equally as well behaved. 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Was out with mates one day and a terrierman from down the country and pulled up to a gateway and the mate reached into the back of the van and let his terrier out of its box, the lad from down the country started shouting catch that terrier catch that terrier there’s cows in that field lol. Like the mate had just unleashed a fecking lion lol. Terrier trotted down the field beside us and over the top of rabbit burrows that we had seen rabbits skip into and when we got to the earth we had good 5 foot dig, the lad commented that he’d never seen a dog from that line as well behaved. Lol. The mate said there’s another 2 in the van equally as well behaved. 

I dread to think of the amount of terriers that have been put down as being no good when in reality, it's the person holding the lead that was 'no good'.

• Like 6

That's the way it should be downsouth you could cover double the ground with terriers that work that way, all my pups are out at 12 weeks running fields and forests running over empty earths etc and when they are at an age to enter its a quick sniff and they know straight away, I can never doubt them that way.

• Like 4

The best one is"If you let them hunt on top and work cover youll end up digging rabbits with them".All my dogs have chased and bushed rabbits from day one as where i live is plastered with rabbits but as soon as a rabbit goes down a hole or the pups sniff at a rabbit hole a stearn "leave it"and they're on their way.That way they know rabbits are a no no to ground.Ive dug plenty of terriers over the years though that are never aloud off the lead because they're digging dogs because when they do smell a rabbit close by in an earth its new and exciting to them.Ive got a mate who only ever keeps 1 black terrier at a time always well bred and always a good worker to ground who also uses it as a ferreting dog too and when hes out digging the dog wont even mark a rabbit earth.

• Like 1

My kids have a pet rabbit, the dogs pay it no attention whatsoever even when they're all loose relaxing in the garden. Like has been said on here before, the more you put in the more you get out. Same as you say Downsouth, I let my terriers hunt loose from the day they first go out until they're ready to be dug and I've never had any problem with dogs rabbiting.

My first priority with a young mad keen dog is show them as many empty earths as possible before it sees game and after the first time it enters then another 20 more empty ones that sorts any f***ing about in holes, in their first season they might try 100 empty ones and only 6-7 holding, it works for my stuff anyway.

Ive a bitch here i bought in. to my eye a nice type having some good craic with her and shes enjoying everychance to work but you cannot under any circumstances let it loose it pays you no heed and literally heads off nose down paying no attention to you whatsoever. Tried long line n trying to burn it out it just doesnt care.not sure i can put up with a terrier that cant walk loose summertime along the river or what not i think its quite a fault really for how i like my dogs to be anyway.

Edited by C.green
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 28/09/2018 at 18:12, howdeeposxxt said:

That's obvious as agreed on in recent post, to be clearer on what I was trying to get across you can have the best bred pup so to speak but in a fools hand it can be ruined by maybe given to much to soon, as said upbringing will not make a terrier but I believe it's paramount a terrier needs to be looked after regardless because you won't get 100 percent out of a mistreated terrier

Absolutely great post. I’m far from an expert in the field of genetics but I try my best to read up on it as much as possible and there is a lot of good information out there on the role genetics play in breeding. Theres actually a few good research studies that were done with hunting dogs and how certain hunting  traits are inherited/ passed on to the next generation. One was done on pointing behavior in pointers and different herding traits needed for working border collies. All behavioral traits in Canines actually all animals controlled by both nature and nurture. Nature being genetics and nurture being exactly what you were saying the upbringing of the dog  if you have any interest google heritability. I find this stuff fascinating not everyone does or even cares which is completely fine. But if you do happen to look it up it’s pretty much about what is you were talking about 

• Like 2