Breeding Studs/Broods

1 hour ago, shaneg said:

My mates dog would have been the same rarely walked and never left of the lead as he would f**k off the minute he was let of. I’d say between that and constantly been put in places that hounds had marked both had something to do with him staying to ground. The worst thing about itwas he was a very capable dog and the type anyone would like in their yard apart for the messing thing. He stopped working him with hounds and he slowly but surely was stopping the messing. 

A few sticky terriers crop up in lines that were never worked with hounds. Usually highly strung dogs. Lack of exercise probably frustrates the matter more and it's not easy keep a lunatic of a dog fit when every time the lead is taken off they disappear over the horizon and might never be seen again if allowed run loose. The only safe way to get them fit is on a lead behind a bike. Some say work them fit but that won't work either if they need long periods of rest between work. In some lines it crops up regular and others that it never happens. So blood is definitely a factor and some dogs will still do it no matter how much exercise. A big fault and must be very frustrating if the dog is ticking all the other boxes faultless.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good bitch will never be brought to a crap dog,whereas plenty of substandard bitches are brought to good dogs,if the bitch is worthy of breeding you can be sure she’ll be going to a dog worth breedi

A really good bitch from 25years back.She was built better than most dogs and was tougher than a lot of dogs too.Always produced decent quality woekers whatever she was bred to.

Without a good bitch to start with your on a down hill slope straight off. I personally believe their are plenty of good dogs out there but good working bitchs are not as plentiful. I have always pref

Posted Images

22 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Did you ever use a hard bitch as a brood fd are did you prefer a steadier baying type back to a hard dog.

Most not all the bitches I ever bred were mixer bayer types which suited me.Just to clarify ,the hard type terrier is not my choice of worker but to maintain a line you have to breed to this type or work drops off IMO. People's idea of a hard dog will differ but I take it to be one that will give no quarter ,would rather battle than bay and takes any amount of punishment. Bitches I've bred, as said have been mixer bayer types but capable of ramping it up if needed ,the difference between a result and a bomb site. The hard type need work or they can be a pain to kennel but sometimes work is the last thing they need .The Wheeler type dog I had was a f***ing nightmare if he wasn't sore ,something I expect many on here can relate to .To breed from stock which us tailing off is the beginning of the end but a lad with a but a out him will see the signs beforehand and rectify with an outcross ,some won't. 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, Apache... said:

No, I'm Spartacusimage.png.135b2705c1c282f392f61ee5556c0cac.png

Looks like a dog that done plenty graft a tidy stamp of a dog by the looks wouldn't say he had any bother pushing on in places did ya breed him into your own stuff Apache.

14 minutes ago, Apache... said:

One of the best workers I've had chesney, unfortunately he died after a pasting from a fox up inside a tree trunk so nothing off him.

Shame that did you ever dig the Vinny dog pd had

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen plenty of terriers driven to messing around in empty places by just using them out of the quad. I wouldn't say it made them any less of a finder, just more likely to believe there's always something home because they don't know any different

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 4

It’s not only hunt terriers it happens to either, seen it happen to a few terriers from the same family and the lads saying it’s in the line which is wrong in my opinion, I just think it can happen easier in really driven dogs and take careful handling. 

• Like 4